$30.00
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,
I often only play with my wife and think the lotr card game might be a good option for us. I'm already seriously running out of space though, and am concerned that to make this game any good (beyond a couple of plays) I would need to invest in various expansions which I'm not really a fan of.

What do you guys all think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Kirksey
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a couple of expansions and keep them in the base game box. You don't need to keep up with everything, but I would consider at least two expansions must buys. I really don't think you'll enjoy it much if you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Winnefeld
Germany
Hannover
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, without ANY expansions I don't think it is worth it. The base box is, at least in my opinion, one of the weaker LCG core sets (the Netrunner core is far better, and I think the same is true for Star Wars and, from what I have seen so far, Arkham Horror). If you really want to try it, but at the same time don't want to keep up with everything, I would go for the Saga expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game instead, while it is still out there. No expansions coming for that one, as it is going OOP (and the two there are, you do not need).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the base set and yes, I did get bored with it pretty fast. Also, and maybe I'm just bad at the game, but IMHO only two of the four starting decks (Leadership and Tactics) seem able to beat the game. I would recommend Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game from the same publisher instead. Similar mechanics but tighter and in a smaller and less expensive package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef Kevin
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
Yes, that's me in the latte!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love playing this together. If you remove the insert, you can fit A LOT in the base game box. I think I have 3 deluxe expansions and 8 adventure packs (?) in there. It's getting a little bit tight, but I think I may be able to put another couple of more adventure packs.

I got plenty of plays out of the base game box and consider to have gotten our moneys worth. But I love the game so much I couldn't help but want more extended content, and it does make the game more interesting and fun to deck build and pick various heroes.

You should easily be able to sell it if it's not your cup of tea. You could also probably find a collection for a discounted price in auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the Core Set when it was new. My wife and I played it a lot before there were any expansions to get, and we totally loved it. Still, the game feels sort of incomplete when only playing with the Core Set; there is very little room to deck-build, and there are several cards you really want to replace with something better.

I see the following dilemma: If you don't like the game, it wasn't worth the investment. If you do like it, you will probably want to get some expansions for deckbuilding options and additional scenarios.

I would also say that the Core Set is only really good when you play with 2. Many people get the game for solo play, but you need several expansions before that starts to really work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the advice!
as to the other game suggestions - not quite hitting our flaour thematically, even if they are potentially better. We do like lotr and like the idea of cooperative deck-building, but not the idea of regulalry having to buy booster packs just to make it interesting... tough choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rohlfo wrote:
as to the other game suggestions - not quite hitting our flaour thematically, even if they are potentially better. We do like lotr and like the idea of cooperative deck-building, but not the idea of regulalry having to buy booster packs just to make it interesting... tough choice!

Again drawing from my personal experience, I wouldn't say you need to regularly buy new packs. My wife and I totally loved the game when it was new and started losing interest about mid-way through the second cycle. We stopped buying new stuff when we had 12 small packs and 3 large expansions, but we had played more than 100 games of it by then. We still play occasionally, and our card pool is definitely large enough for lots of experimentation and variety in scenarios.

I'd say the Core Set leaves you wanting more, but add a handful of small packs and it's fine. Aaand I'm not sure how helpful that was for you making a decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Kalenda
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it can be done if you follow this wonderful guideline:
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/16397/guide-new-lotrlcg-s...

I also think you'll end up buying a counple of expansions some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind, this is a cooperative game so there's nothing to keep up with, unlike competitive games of this ilk.

If you enjoy the game and want more, there will be enough new adventures to last for a near life time. Theres no reason to expand just to have more stuff like normal board games. They are adventures, so once you've played the three base adventures enough, go on the next. They're pretty inexpensive.

That said if you truly just will never buy another card pack for whatever reason, I think there are better investments -- or you could buy the game much cheaper used and perhaps not a bad purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greyweather wrote:
... only two of the four starting decks (Leadership and Tactics) seem able to beat the game.

Interesting that you mentioned those. I think, the consensus is, that Tactics is by far the worst of the four, while Spirit and Leadership being the strongest.

Either way, the starting decks are all not really good.

They are nice to learn the game and learn what the spheres are (mostly) about, but you can build far stronger decks, even with the Core Set only.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rohlfo wrote:

One thing, that might help here.

There are quite a few fan-based scenarios out for the Lord of the Rings LCG, which could be printed and used w/o much expense.

But you will need a couple expansions to hit "critical mass" for deck building purposes. Once there, you can expand when you feel like something else might be nice. You can look at all the cards from the packs online, in order to make informed decisions before buying some.

One thing is sure, though. The game gets better the more expansions you add.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
The problem with this game is not the expansions/adventure packs. That's great as it keeps the game fresh and at £15 per adventure pack its cheap.

The problem with this game is it's availability in Europe. I was ready to invest a lot in this game but then I noticed some adventure pack were hard to find. surprise

For example the first adventure pack : The Hunt For Gollum costs at least £27 in Europe! Thats almost the price of the base game for only 1 adventure. surprise

So if anyone would like to prove me wrong and provide a link for a website in Europe that sells Hunt for Gollum for £15 I'd be delighted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon, there are times when certain packs are unavailable, but they get reprinted regularily. Just have a bit of patience and don't overpay for those.

Speaking of which... there are people on ebay who are selling used collections every now and then. That is a nice way to get into the game at a lower price point.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
So if anyone would like to prove me wrong and provide a link for a website in Europe that sells Hunt for Gollum for £15 I'd be delighted.

https://www.fantasywelt.de/Lord-of-the-Rings-LCG-The-Hunt-fo...

At least it is listed as available. Unfortunately, shipping seems to be very expensive outside of germany.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Thanee wrote:
Brandonboards wrote:

https://www.fantasywelt.de/Lord-of-the-Rings-LCG-The-Hunt-fo...

At least it is listed as available. Unfortunately, shipping seems to be very expensive outside of germany.

Bye
Thanee

Thanks for the link thanee!! Well yeah if I only buy 1 adventure pack its pretty expensive but I ll buy more than 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
The problem with this game is it's availability in Europe. I was ready to invest a lot in this game but then I noticed some adventure pack were hard to find. surprise

For example the first adventure pack : The Hunt For Gollum costs at least £27 in Europe! Thats almost the price of the base game for only 1 adventure. surprise

It has nothing to do with Europe. Amazon is selling it in the US for $40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rohlfo wrote:

No one is forcing you to buying packs regularly. I will agree that as a base set it is on the weaker side, only three adventures and one it basically there for your first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not. You'll want at least two core sets _and_ plenty of expansion scenarios.

If space is your only reason not to get expansions, I'd like to point out that you can fit quite a lot of expansions into a single core set box - at least two cycles + the deluxe box(es) required for the chosen cycle (or several, if not all saga expansions...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:

It's about a fiver to tenner in the UK. You should use the comparison site - https://boardgameprices.co.uk/item/search?search=hunt+for+go...

Is this the one you wanted?
http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/lord-of-the-rings--the-card-g...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Definitely not. You'll want at least two core sets _and_ plenty of expansion scenarios.

Rubbish - I've played the game loads and have lots of the expansions. I only have one core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Rubbish - I've played the game loads and have lots of the expansions. I only have one core.
Well, the OP was asking about opinions here. In my opinion you are crippling yourself if you don't buy two core sets. There's quite a few very important and strong cards that you'll want multiples of.

Thank you very much for not calling my opinion rubbish and I won't call your opinion rubbish.

After you've bought a bazillion expansions you may no longer feel that you need many of the core set cards, but it's a long way until you get there. For someone who wants to keep his collection small, two core sets are a good investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, since one doesn't play this game competitively, you can just use proxy cards. Which makes a second core set less important (for those who think it is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmpressGeek wrote:
It's about a fiver to tenner in the UK.

But not in stock at any of those sites with low prices.

Also, some of those prices seem like clearance prices. MSRP is $15 for that pack.

Quote:

That site is pretty neat!

The link I posted above is among the two best sources for the pack, which actually have it. Not too bad!

Quote:

That is the nightmare deck, which is something different.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.