France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey fellow Mythic Battlers!

The latest update revealed the very first Titan we'd get in the game, and as a SG no less... however, it did miss a thing: mentioning how HUGE Atlas really is. So i'll share some pics with you guys so you realize how cool this "mini" is:

(from Stephane Simon's FB page)

This beast is so impressive, it needed to be displayed in its raging, hulking glory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amazed that they can afford to put such a giant in .. for free!! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Send me that free....

Oh wait! It will cost me $100 plus shipping.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, that's the whole point of it being a SG as i mentioned in the subject.

IE, for those who aren't familiar with how KS work, that piece, that'd usually be found as an add-on, on other KS, and a pricey one considering the size of the mini and thus several parts it requires before becoming the final thing. IE: you don't have to pay extra money.
Try harder when you want to be dishonest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unlocked!

Sure, it'll cost you $100 plus shipping, but you get a free game with it, and a bunch of other unlocked SG's! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Let's really try and be honest and understand how kickstarters work....

We/You are unlocking product that is already priced into the game. Value is being added but I certainly wouldn't call it free since you are paying upfront. SG's add momentum to the campaign so that they are attractive to even more backers. You may call it FREE, but too a future backer it adds more value to the campaign so that they themselves become backers. Considering the success of the Conan campaign I am sure they have stretch goals worked out into the millions. Nothing is free my friend. Now with that said.

Nice sculpt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is certainly true. And some Kickstarters also have higher pledge level costs than MSRP to reflect the added cost of stretch goals.

But it is not quite like that.

The higher the production run of the game will be in the end, the better the price they will get from the factory per unit. So, the more backers there are, the more they can add to the game for the same price.

Of course, it is a bit more complex than that... there are fixed costs (molds for the miniatures, which are pretty expensive; sculptors and artists; and so on) and variable costs (producing the actual copies; KS fees; etc.). But the end result is still the same. The more copies, the better the price. Or, the more copies, the more content for the same price.

Also, add-ons, being a lot less value per dollar (if for no other reason as that there are no stretch goals added to them), will be used to cross-finance stretch goals for sure.

And of course, they have this planned out. Anything else would be naive.

If you have been following the various channels of information, you will see a lot of models that already exist, which we have not seen, yet. Some of those will end up being stretch goals, others will end up being add-ons.

Either way... for the backers, every new stretch goals means added value for the same price.

It's not the same as "free", but it is close.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Buy this chassis and get FREE wheels and engine!

10% extra FREE in this packet of biscuits - that's 10 biscuits for the price of 9... of course, it's impossible to buy 9, only the pack of 10... meaning the supposedly 'discounted' price is actually just the regular price of 10 biscuits. It's called marketing.

Can I acquire this item without spending money? No. I cannot acquire it for anything less than $99 (plus shipping). For sure, I get a lot of other stuff for that money too, but nonetheless the FACT is that I'm required to spend $99 if I want this. It is not free in any truthful, accurate use of the word. It is one part of the package, one biscuit in the pack to reuse the above analogy. Again, it's marketing.

This stretch goal is a part, a component of what people are paying for and to suggest anything else is to be dishonest, if we're going to bandy that word around.

Is the value good? Very good, assuming the product lives up to expectations. Is anything being given away for FREE? No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a way to get the game without the stretch goals for the same (or similar) price. Wait for retail.

So, compared to that, the stretch goals are "essentially free" (when you buy the base game).

In this comparison, the added cost is that you pay up front (more than a year) and that you still have some risks in the way, that the game might not be what you hoped for in the end. I don't think the risk is very high here, as we got some quite good presentations of the game, already, but it is there.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my God not again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
Great value in this KS fo sure especially compared to another miniature game currently on KS. I'm referring to of course the new Japanese Shadows of Brimstone game. That one will cost you $300 to get all the minis. The $100 pledge is a joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvrratt wrote:
Great value in this KS fo sure especially compared to another miniature game currently on KS. I'm referring to of course the new Japanese Shadows of Brimstone game. That one will cost you $300 to get all the minis. The $100 pledge is a joke.

And 300 dollars to get everything in 3 years at last.

still waiting for my shadow of brimstone wave 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Y
msg tools
Belsamoreth wrote:
rvrratt wrote:

And 300 dollars to get everything in 3 years at last.

still waiting for my shadow of brimstone wave 2.

Added in Shadows of Brimstone for comparison @ minis count table for comparison
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rvrratt wrote:

After your first part, I thought you are speaking of The Edge: Dawnfall.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:

link please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Y
msg tools
Loig wrote:
Belsamoreth wrote:

link please?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664955/minis-count

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's mini-count we care about, might as well add in Deep Madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Y
msg tools
Geoff wrote:

we should?

someone need to provide me stats then....too lazy to track so many games.
started out as a fun comparison to see how much minis we getting and average cost of a mini (yes noted on the mini size difference).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wast8 wrote:
Geoff wrote:

we should?

someone need to provide me stats then....too lazy to track so many games.
started out as a fun comparison to see how much minis we getting and average cost of a mini (yes noted on the mini size difference).

Sure, you included a current minis KS, and one that is quite pricey vs. MB, so why not provide another current and popular minis KS, one that is quite good value vs MB (value based solely on minis count, ignoring size etc).

Here's the KS:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diemensiongames/deep-ma...

Here's the current stats:
152 minis for $99

Personally I prefer MB to both SoB and DM KS'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Y
msg tools
Geoff wrote:

Personally I prefer MB to both SoB and DM KS'.

me too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.