Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

The Oracle of Delphi» Forums » Rules

Subject: Recolouring then using Demigod's ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you recolour a dice to your Demigod's colour then use it as a wild colour dice?

For example, I have the yellow Demigod & have a blue dice. I pay one favour to colour it yellow, can I then use it as a wild colour such as pink?

This would mean I'd effectively pay just one favour to use the blue as any colour such as pink, rather than 5 favours to recolour the blue to pink.

Is this legal? I'd assume so but there didn't seem to be anything in the rules clarifying either way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I interpreted it. The option that gives you two favours for the right die in only when you roll though
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think this might be the intention of the rules to allow this, I'm not convinced it is allowed with the rules as written.

Quote:
Before using a die for an action, you may “recolor” it, i.e. moving it
by 1 or more steps (symbols) along the oracle in a clockwise direction,
paying 1 Favor Token per step.


The rule doesn't actually change the color of the die, it just allows you to use the die as a different color based on how many tokens you spend.

Quote:
You may use Oracle Dice in the Demigod’s color as if it was a color of your choice.


This is saying the color of the die needs to match the color of the demigod to be used as a wild. I would argue that since you are not changing the color of the die when "recoloring" it, you aren't left with a die that triggers this power.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, and misinterpreting the rule, 'cause I like the loop hole.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
While I think this might be the intention of the rules to allow this, I'm not convinced it is allowed with the rules as written.

Quote:
Before using a die for an action, you may “recolor” it, i.e. moving it
by 1 or more steps (symbols) along the oracle in a clockwise direction,
paying 1 Favor Token per step.


The rule doesn't actually change the color of the die, it just allows you to use the die as a different color based on how many tokens you spend.

Quote:
You may use Oracle Dice in the Demigod’s color as if it was a color of your choice.


This is saying the color of the die needs to match the color of the demigod to be used as a wild. I would argue that since you are not changing the color of the die when "recoloring" it, you aren't left with a die that triggers this power.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, and misinterpreting the rule, 'cause I like the loop hole.
Hey, give us rulewriters a chance!
Why is "recoloring a die" not the same as "change the color of the die"? We didn't want to make a difference here!
Please think as easy as possible: If you pay a favor, you really change the color of the die and then you can do everything with this die as if you rolled it at the first place.

I hope I could make it clear now.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
jmathias wrote:
While I think this might be the intention of the rules to allow this, I'm not convinced it is allowed with the rules as written.

Quote:
Before using a die for an action, you may “recolor” it, i.e. moving it
by 1 or more steps (symbols) along the oracle in a clockwise direction,
paying 1 Favor Token per step.


The rule doesn't actually change the color of the die, it just allows you to use the die as a different color based on how many tokens you spend.

Quote:
You may use Oracle Dice in the Demigod’s color as if it was a color of your choice.


This is saying the color of the die needs to match the color of the demigod to be used as a wild. I would argue that since you are not changing the color of the die when "recoloring" it, you aren't left with a die that triggers this power.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, and misinterpreting the rule, 'cause I like the loop hole.
Hey, give us rulewriters a chance!
Why is "recoloring a die" not the same as "change the color of the die"? We didn't want to make a difference here!
Please think as easy as possible: If you pay a favor, you really change the color of the die and then you can do everything with this die as if you rolled it at the first place.

I hope I could make it clear now.


Thanks Ralph! I really love this game. And I'm glad that recoloring actually changes the color. Thank you for the clarification.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
While I think this might be the intention of the rules to allow this, I'm not convinced it is allowed with the rules as written.

Quote:
Before using a die for an action, you may “recolor” it, i.e. moving it
by 1 or more steps (symbols) along the oracle in a clockwise direction,
paying 1 Favor Token per step.


The rule doesn't actually change the color of the die, it just allows you to use the die as a different color based on how many tokens you spend.

Ralph beat me to this one, but... "recolor the die" is the same as "change the color of the die"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
jmathias wrote:
While I think this might be the intention of the rules to allow this, I'm not convinced it is allowed with the rules as written.

Quote:
Before using a die for an action, you may “recolor” it, i.e. moving it
by 1 or more steps (symbols) along the oracle in a clockwise direction,
paying 1 Favor Token per step.


The rule doesn't actually change the color of the die, it just allows you to use the die as a different color based on how many tokens you spend.

Ralph beat me to this one, but... "recolor the die" is the same as "change the color of the die"


Yes I agree, the term recolor does very much mean the same as change the color.

However, in the context of the rule, recolor is quoted, and the rule says to move the die, but not to change the die. The quoting of recolor made me think it was figuratively changing the color, not literally. Additionally the moving of the die to denote the new color, and the timing of the recolor (before using a die for an action) all lead me to assume the recoloring was not physically changing the state of the die, but in fact just allowing use of the die as the new color.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United Kingdom
Bedford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read through the posts on this and it seems clear that one can
recolour an Oracle dice to the colour of the demigod, and then treat it
as "wild". I have a variant on this question which arose in our game
last night: can one recolour an Oracle card to the colour of the
demigod, and treat it as "wild". We decided not, because the rule
about demigods mentions "Oracle dice"; if it was meant to include
Oracle cards, it would have said so. What is the ruling on this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SveaRike wrote:
I've read through the posts on this and it seems clear that one can
recolour an Oracle dice to the colour of the demigod, and then treat it
as "wild". I have a variant on this question which arose in our game
last night: can one recolour an Oracle card to the colour of the
demigod, and treat it as "wild". We decided not, because the rule
about demigods mentions "Oracle dice"; if it was meant to include
Oracle cards, it would have said so. What is the ruling on this?


For all intents and purposes the Oracle Cards count as an Oracle die of the printed color. You may recolor, and affect them with Companion cards as you would any physical die.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're at it...you can also recolor an oracle card, correct? It says use it as if you rolled an oracle die but only one card per turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lengthtoavoid wrote:
While we're at it...you can also recolor an oracle card, correct? It says use it as if you rolled an oracle die but only one card per turn.

Yes, the Oracle cards work just exactly as if they were a wooden die on your player board, they just happen to be printed on a card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
"JoJo left his home in Tucson, Arizona"
mbmbmbmbmb
oracle cards = tasty marshmallows. Of whatever color the die would be, if it were actually a die.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barandur wrote:
Hey, give us rulewriters a chance!
Why is "recoloring a die" not the same as "change the color of the die"? We didn't want to make a difference here!
Please think as easy as possible: If you pay a favor, you really change the color of the die and then you can do everything with this die as if you rolled it at the first place.

I hope I could make it clear now.
(Part in question bolded)

Just looking for clarification here. The 'as if you rolled it' makes me wonder if this 'recolored' die can do more than I think it really does.

For instance...
A just rolled die will allow others to raise their gods up one. I would assume this isn't the case when recoloring.

The equipment cards that give you 2 favor when you roll a certain color sounds like that should activate with this wording. Again, I'm assuming they don't.

So, to be clear the 'as if you just rolled it' shouldn't be taken to literally?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
barandur wrote:
Hey, give us rulewriters a chance!
Why is "recoloring a die" not the same as "change the color of the die"? We didn't want to make a difference here!
Please think as easy as possible: If you pay a favor, you really change the color of the die and then you can do everything with this die as if you rolled it at the first place.

I hope I could make it clear now.
(Part in question bolded)

Just looking for clarification here. The 'as if you rolled it' makes me wonder if this 'recolored' die can do more than I think it really does.

For instance...
A just rolled die will allow others to raise their gods up one. I would assume this isn't the case when recoloring.

The equipment cards that give you 2 favor when you roll a certain color sounds like that should activate with this wording. Again, I'm assuming they don't.

So, to be clear the 'as if you just rolled it' shouldn't be taken to literally?
Yes - and we didn't write "JUST rolled" - this is a difference if you take it this literally.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply!

But now I'm thinking those were both stupid questions on my part...

Both of those actions happen when you consult the oracle, so there would be no modification of dice during this time anyways.

Still...thanks for taking the time to reply!


I was never hereninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.