Blood Rage» Forums » Variants

Subject: Dice variant rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Bini
msg tools
mbmb
Version 2

The card draft is the core part of the game, but even it's biggest limit: in time players will learn very strong card combos, and draft will decide who will win.
For mitigating this, I think to introduce this dice variant. I know that dice are hated by some people, and they are partly right, but, used like this they will only have a slight impact, just enough to mitigate the draft heavy importance.

The rule is that in combat after chosing the card to play, but before revealing it, for every miniature (warriors, monsters, ships, clan leader) you must roll one d6.
If you get 1 then you subtract 1 point for every dice result.
If you get 2,3 or 4 then nothing happens and the combat goes as normal rules.
If you get 5 or 6 then you add 1 point for every dice result.

For example: let's say bear clan fights with a troll and crows clan is facing it with three warriors. The troll has strenght 2, and it rolls one d6. It gets a 6, so his result will be 3.
The warriors have strenght 1 and they roll three d6: they get a 3 a 1 and another 3; so their result will be 2 (because the result of 1 on the d6 subtracts 1 strenght point). Then the cards are revealed and will decide the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Jeffreys
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how this improves the game at all in anyway.

It will slow the game down, and brings luck element in which undermines the entire point of drafting the high value fight cards - so you'll find a fight with it.
The winner always loses there card, so I fail to see how mechanically you find this problematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Drafting is the "mitigator" of easy combos
2) This variant does nothing to mitigate combos
3) This variant unbalances the game in favor of the player with the most strength (more dice = better chance of strength bonus)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, Often you go into a fight where you are absolutely sure of the outcome. this could reduce that. But Im not sure thats a good thing...
Seems that the main thing this would do is to reduce the value of high bonus battle cards, which are already picked toward the end of the draft in most cases (in my groups)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bini
msg tools
mbmb
Yes, it is all about bringing a small percentage of luck. Bringing luck totally out of the game means exactly what Todd Parker said above: "often you go into a fight where you are absolutely sure of the outcome" . The main thing this is triyng to do is to get even the strongest player just a small , very small percentage of uncertainty. I find it natural that the more strenght you have, the more dice you roll; but maybe this can be changed, for example one dice per miniature, regardless of it's strenght.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
I have a feeling this would make the, already mediocre, Loki strategy worse becasue of an (un)lucky roll. Second the original variant makes stronger players stronger. The expected strength of your army is 150% of what is on the board. This would just change the draft (not lessen the importance) towards getting the stronger STR cards such as the warrior upgrades or Giants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bini
msg tools
mbmb
You are right, but this effect can be reduced very easily by tweaking the variant. As I stated above, we can just make one dice per miniature. Furthermore we can reduce the succes margin of the bonus by dice result, for example: 1 to 4 no bonus , 5 to 6 : one strenght bonus
Or even reduce it to give the bonus only to the result of 6.
This need to be tested for finding a good balance I guess.

PS: Ah but there is even a more efficient solution to this: if you roll a 1 on any d6 it is -1 strenght devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bini
msg tools
mbmb
Edited the main post with new version, that advantage lesser than before the stronger player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.