$15.00
$30.00
$5.00
$20.00
Nuka 75
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

So I player my first game and I am thrilled by now.

I can afford one of the two tiles expansions, but I was wondering which one was the best.

For instance, I love the figurines and monsters from Suppressed memories (ahh the young ones...) but I've heard that the scenario for this one, cult of the sentinel hill, is not great. In recurring nightmares, on the contrary, the figures are more "mehh", but the scenario seems to have a good review.

Last, and not least : does these expansions add some game mechanisms ? For instance the alchemy thing of forbidden experience or the outdoor mechanism of call of the wild ?

What is your advice ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I think the figures are the same quality allround...the recurring one has some exstra tokens for the senario so i would get that one...what i mean is that the last box has a story that include persons(tokens yes the tokens are in the conversion kit)..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:
I think the figures are the same quality allround...the recurring one has some exstra tokens for the senario so i would get that one...

There are no tokens in either set. Just map tiles and minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chandler
United States
Burke
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
mordai wrote:
I think the figures are the same quality allround...the recurring one has some exstra tokens for the senario so i would get that one...

How many tiles are there? Thinking of getting this one and I'd like to see if I can make it all fit in the original box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheJoat wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
mordai wrote:

How many tiles are there? Thinking of getting this one and I'd like to see if I can make it all fit in the original box.

Recurring Nightmares has fifteen map tiles, Supressed Memories has seventeen. The map tiles and figures for both expansions fit easily into the base box with room left over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuka 75
France
flag msg tools
And on term of quality of scenario ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuka75 wrote:

Last, and not least : does these expansions add some game mechanisms ? For instance the alchemy thing of forbidden experience or the outdoor mechanism of call of the wild ?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It looks like the Cult on Sentinel Hill (Suppressed Memories) is the only scenario out so far that enables Wilderness Mythos Events. But there are only three of those (out of 200 total), so I wonder how relevant that would be? (Outdoor Mythos Events -- count 24 -- appear in 4 scenarios so far)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Nuka75 wrote:
And on term of quality of scenario ?

Cult of Sentinel Hill is really very uninspired. I've not really seen any positive comment about this scenario and personally regard it as the weakest of the scenarios so far published. We got 2 plays out of it, won both times and it's doubtful we'll ever play it again. If you want a little more detail:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The structure is basically 'walk from point A to point B on a linear, one way map, pick up a few barely hidden pieces of Evidence along the way, solve the puzzle at the end of the route (nothing special, just the usual ones). Then kill the monster'. There's no strategy, no surprising events, very little variation when replaying. All it has going for it is the novelty of using the Wilderness tiles.

Hangman's Hill is not terrific either but certainly better than Sentinel Hill. Honesty, I don't regard either of them as must plays. My personal recommendation at this point in time would be to wait until more scenarios are available that use these tile sets, as currently we have no idea if they will see much use in future and definitely aren't worth buying for these scenarios alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuka 75
France
flag msg tools
Ok I see. So it is only about tiles and figurines yet.
I may wait to see how the game expand, especially regarding the DLC Scenario.
Thanks for the nice answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.