GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,434 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Tichu» Forums » General

Subject: Is there something about Tichu that uniquely encourages trash talk? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we get together with friends for Tichu, there's always a lot of trash talk. In fact it's our house rule that you've got to be down with trash talk. (The other house rule is that you have to bark once, ideally twice, when playing the dog.) For us the trash talk adds to the fun and accentuates the drama and social fun of the game.

I was chatting with a friend about this. I wasn't sure if the trash talk is inherent to the game or just the idiosyncratic personality of our group. He mentioned a boardgamer coworker (who lives in another city and is not part of our Tichu-playing group) who told him he doesn't like Tichu because of all the trash talking Tichu players do, which suggests maybe it's inherent to the game somehow.

Which makes me wonder: is the trash talking indeed inherent to the game? If so, what is it that creates the trash talk? The bombing? The betting and setting of others' bets? The team competition? The role of luck that can lead to big reversals? Something else? Or is the trash-talking in fact "just us"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte Malone
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group doesn't trash talk in Tichu all that much. I mean, no more so than we do in any other game. In Tichu though, we do a lot of non-verbal communication.

For example: Play cards. Look at the player to your left. Cock head. Raise eyebrow. This means "Can you beat a pair of aces? Pretty sure you can't beat a pair of aces."

Or: Call Tichu. Play all cards in hand save one low level crap card. Do not look up. Do not make eye contact. This means "Please don't anybody have a bomb. Please, for the love of god, don't anybody eff me on this."

Or: Bomb the dragon. Look directly at dragon player. Bob head from side to side. (Finger snap optional.) This means: "This did not go down the way you thought it would go down, did it? Did it??? Bitch."

But no. No real trash talking. Must just be you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
creevedog wrote:
My group doesn't trash talk in Tichu all that much. I mean, no more so than we do in any other game. In Tichu though, we do a lot of non-verbal communication.

For example: Play cards. Look at the player to your left. Cock head. Raise eyebrow. This means "Can you beat a pair of aces? Pretty sure you can't beat a pair of aces."

Or: Call Tichu. Play all cards in hand save one low level crap card. Do not look up. Do not make eye contact. This means "Please don't anybody have a bomb. Please, for the love of god, don't anybody eff me on this."

Or: Bomb the dragon. Look directly at dragon player. Bob head from side to side. (Finger snap optional.) This means: "This did not go down the way you thought it would go down, did it? Did it??? Bitch."

But no. No real trash talking. Must just be you.

Trash eyebrow-raising. Trash eyeing. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghopper21 wrote:
Which makes me wonder: is the trash talking indeed inherent to the game?

No, quite the opposite. We are much more sympathetic to our opponents, we generally feel guilty and apologize when we draw lots of bombs, overcall Tichu and go out on the first play, etc. The game has a large luck factor and there's no point in taking personal credit for something that just falls into your lap. If someone was gloating for drawing good cards I wouldn't play with them any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite the opposite here as well. Tichu depends on no communication between partners. Even innocently intended trash talk is bound to convey some information. We don't stay tournament-bridge mute, but we only discuss things outside the game, unless we're commenting on cards just played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
likewise after the pass there is sometimes the offhand very obvious; "Did you see the time? it is TEN fifteeen". or "Did you FOUR-get to bring 'xxxxx' today"? "What was that fellow's name? something like JACK?"
and it is usually met with chuckles. During the game, very quiet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just some gloating and complaining, maybe slightly more than other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
No, quite the opposite. We are much more sympathetic to our opponents, we generally feel guilty and apologize when we draw lots of bombs, overcall Tichu and go out on the first play, etc. The game has a large luck factor and there's no point in taking personal credit for something that just falls into your lap. If someone was gloating for drawing good cards I wouldn't play with them any more.

Thanks, that supports my thought it is more a group personality thing. I agree with your premise, that it's a lot of luck, but obviously we take it to a different conclusion. For us the mix of luck and skill and the draw-based turnarounds are just what leads us to joke around and trash talk -- all in good fun. (By comparison, I play Go, a zero luck game, and it would never occur to me to trash talk in Go, though that's also to do with the established game culture.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Quite the opposite here as well. Tichu depends on no communication between partners. Even innocently intended trash talk is bound to convey some information. We don't stay tournament-bridge mute, but we only discuss things outside the game, unless we're commenting on cards just played.

Thanks. Interesting how group cultures can be so different. Our trash talk is mostly in between rounds and after games, but I'm sure there's probably subtle game info being communicated within rounds too, in terms of how cocky or confident someone is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.