$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Not Alone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about the reasoning behind a rule, not about the understanding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Adler
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The creature can make an assimilation step, if a Hunted loses the last will counter (and often it will be connected to a low count on place cards on hand). Do several Hunted lose this counter in phase 1, called 'give up', for each of them an assimilation step is made. If the creature worked well and is able to catch several last counters in phase 3, only one assimilation step is made and much of the well played creature progress is lost.

Or a similar example situation, two Hunted have been caught in The Cave and are down to one counter. If they are both caught in the 2nd round by the creature hunt token, the assimilation progress for zero counters is just one, if they are caught distributed in rounds 2 and 3, two steps are made (I do not look at/compare the separate step for being caught by creature hunt token here). Why this difference in handling losing last counters in phases 1 and 3? What is the reasoning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To balance the fact that assimilation still progresses by catching. In this phase, if you can bring someone's will to 0 that's another small win for you as a creature. But in phase 1 it's not your decision, it's theirs. If they are willing to lose will counters on their own just to have more options, they are punished more. Makes perfect sense to me and keeps a relatively good balance. Otherwise, everyone would just drop their will to 0 to regain all cards - they would just lose one assimilation but increase their options to such an extent, that the creature would be pretty hopeless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Adler
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, you argue the other way around. I do not doubt the ruling for phase 1, if the Creature forces them to 'give up' the Hunted shall each cause an assimilation progress. That's necessary, we agree. I ask the reasoning why assimilation progress is just one, if two or more are forced to zero will counters in phase 3.

All of those have been cornered by losing will counters and available cards, but if they manage to lose that last will counter in phase 3 at the same time they 'only' lose 1 assimilation step, while before they have been threatened to lose more steps. Due to the probable parallel assimilation step by catching it might be otherwise too much like you suggested. On the other hand these situations might be the reason for the game designers variant rule. Thanks for your thoughts about the subject!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best way to figure it out is to play a game, where whenever will is down to 0, assimilation advances, no matter what. You will see for yourself, what happens with the game. Maybe it will be ok, I don't know, I'm genuinely curious myself. My assumption, though, would be that such rule would tip the balance over towards creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed the reason behind is the balancing of the game.

- Phase 3 you do not choose to be caught and moving forward the assimilation token by 1 (or 2 if 0 will) regardless the number of Hunted caught ensure a balanced mechanism without having a too long board.

- Phase 1 is completely different. First you decide to give up so if we applied the same mechanism (1 regardless the number of Hunted caught), each turn you could decide together to all give up. So there is a penalty to give up, 1 assimilation step per player using this action. But that's a very important action. Let's say you have 2 Place cards in hand and only 1 Will left. If you decide to give up, the assimilation moves 1 step and you are in again full of will and place cards. Let's assume you don't give up. The creature knows the 2 places you have in hand and for instance place a force field on one of them. Consequently it knows which place you are exploring and catch you. You loose your last will so the assimilation token move forward 2 spaces (1 for the creature and 1 for your last will).

Managing your hand with the resist and give up actions are really important actions but it has a cost and should be the last option if you didn't succeed to manage it via your action in phase 3.

I hope it helps for the understanding

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.