6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Eyeing Deus and Village of Valeria rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Perotti
Sweden
flag msg tools
Getting rid of some old games and looking to fill up the shelf space. Looking at Village of valeria because of the when you do an action everyone else get to do a weaker version of it, also because you can activate each others cards and Deus because it seem to has more going on the just the cards. What other games are there thats similar to these two that are better in your opinions or witch of the two should i possibly get. All suggestions are appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Deus is a really really great game. It is in my top 5 so I totally recommend it.

Some of the hand/resource management of deus was similar to Race for the Galaxy but I like Deus much better. The interrelation between the tableau, card engine, and the board position is really interesting and different from anything else I have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, Deus is a very good game.

As for Village of Valeria, I do not know that one. But the mechanic is from Glory to Rome and is also found in Eminent Domain, and probably some other games.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deus has player conflict so that might not be your thiing in an engine builder.

Villages of Valeria hasn't been relaased yet, but the same design team made Valeria Card Kingdoms which was based on the Macho Koro mechanics the same way this game is based on San Juan (Glory to Rome came later). Now Valeria totally destroyed Machi Koro so I would definatly recommend any remake this company makes.

The other most note worthy of the San Juan games (which contain the follow Action) is Race for the Galaxy although it is very complex and dry. San Juanis great by dry and the theme is kinda boring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yeah. Good observation. San Juan / Race for the Galaxy.

I was thinking of something slightly different. Namely, that you can either take the same action (in a weaker fashion) OR get another bonus (usually, draw a card). That is the Glory to Rome / Eminent Domain one.

I guess, the actual game that introduced that is Puerto Rico, then?

Which, BTW, is also a great game with huge replayability.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Perotti
Sweden
flag msg tools
Have ordered Deus! Still im curious about Village of Valeria and Puerto Rico looks interesting to? Something to buy for myself for christmas mabye = P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.