Hide
11 Posts

Shadowrun: Crossfire» Forums » General

Subject: Don't use Ultra Pro sleeves with Shadowrun Crossfire!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shayne Hull
msg tools
I know there are already threads about sleeving the cards, but none of them warned me about the Ultra Pro hologram.

I've played many card games over the years and I've pretty much used Ultra Pro exclusively simply because they're the easiest to come by. The hologram never troubled me because I only ever used their transparent sleeves and always sleeved the cards so that the hologram was on the back, the way I thought it was meant to be.

But then I bought their coloured sleeves. I was surprised that the hologram had to go on the front of the cards with these. It was an annoying visual distraction, but didn't really affect the games I played.

That was until Shadowrun Crossfire arrived this week. Firstly, I was shocked when I added up how much it was going to cost to sleeve the game with KMC Hyper Mats (my new favourite premium sleeves). So I started researching, and it was going to cost me as much as an entire new game to sleeve every card, even when I went for cheaper sleeves.

So I tried desperately to come up with a compromise, and I thought I'd found one. I have a few Ultra Pro Pro-Mattes left over from sleeving other card games. I did the maths and found I could get away with buying just 4 more packets and the game would be sleeved. This was still a little pricey but my cheapest option.

Stupidly, I didn't check the cards first. I bought the sleeves and it was pretty much as soon as I sleeved my first card I realised my mistake: the holograms cover the cards' rules!!!!

Hopefully I can return the still sealed packs. I'm thinking of going with Fantasy Flight sleeves now as they seem the cheapest for not the worst quality.

I just wanted to give any future sleevers the heads up not to use Ultra Pro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't go with FFG sleeves until you have tries them. They are way to long for most standard cards and gives a long empty "lip" on top. I don't like them and will never get them for any other game. The small red and yellow sleeves are good though. Check out Arcane Tinmen for a pretty good sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Don't use Ultra Pro sleeves

FTFY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Ultra Pro Pro-Matte sleeves for the Crossfire and Obstacle deck. I just had to rotate them and they worked fine. I used clear Mayday premium sleeves for the player cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Shelley
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"One test result is worth one thousand expert opinions." -- Wernher von Braun
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_X wrote:
Don't go with FFG sleeves until you have tries them. They are way too long for most standard cards and gives a long empty "lip" on top...

I actually like the empty lip with FFG sleeves. I find that it makes it easier to 'mash' shuffle cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ultra Pro hologram is quite the annoyance and impacts many games.

For my copy of Crossfire, I sleeved them in clear Ultra Pros and flipped the hologram to the back. Obviously not an option if you want opaque-backed sleeves but there it is.

Not sure if Ultra Pro's "Pro Fit" sleeves would fit the cards but they have the advantage of no holo and aren't terribly expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vignola
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:

Not sure if Ultra Pro's "Pro Fit" sleeves would fit the cards but they have the advantage of no holo and aren't terribly expensive.

I use those for all my cards. They're a really tight fit. And they're not always exactly the same size. I had to put some sleeves on the side because they were a little bit too small and the cards would bend slightly.

But at the end of the day, they're doing a good job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
tried KMC Hypers. It just doesn't work for a big pile of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the Ultra Pro art sleeves for Pathfinder and immediately found the dot annoying, however, I liked the thickness so much I completely switched every game I sleeved over to the thicker sleeves. I had originaly used thin sleeves from MayDay and they felt so flimsy after handling the thicker sleeves. For pathfinder I kept the Ultra Pro art sleeves and just deal with the dot, mostly because of the slight color and size variations from the revised cards, but for clear sleeves in general I just use the MayDay ultra thick sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Hull
msg tools
Webhead123 wrote:
The Ultra Pro hologram is quite the annoyance and impacts many games.

For my copy of Crossfire, I sleeved them in clear Ultra Pros and flipped the hologram to the back. Obviously not an option if you want opaque-backed sleeves but there it is.

Yep, the Pro-Mattes I already have are coloured, so can't flip them.

However, thanks heaps for the suggestion of Pro-Fits. I ended up going with KMC's Perfect Fits (same concept). Now I know they're for double sleeving, but they're so much cheaper. They're close to the quality of Penny Sleeves, but they're tight, so don't have the bagginess issue. With so many cards it came down to cost and while they don't feel as nice a matte sleeves, I think they'll do the job for a fraction of the cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Ultra Pro clear deck protector sleeves, yes the hologram is annoying but I just flip it so it's on the back of each card, also do this for Thunderstone/Legendary Encounters.

Main reason I use these sleeves is the FFG sleeves don't fit well into the inserts I've found when the inserts get full & deck builders are really the only games where I keep the inserts usually.

For every other game I own I use FFG though as I find they are the better sleeve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.