Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix L.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Title says it all: I'm just curious if there could be a variant for 2 players?

Isn't it play-/enjoyable with just 2?
I would be eager to develop such a variant or playtest any attempts but first wanted to hear if this generally would be a good idea?

Thanks and have fun! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really see a way that you can play the game in any interesting manner with only 2 players. A lot of the tension is in placing the second (or third in a 4 player game) bid, not knowing what those behind you might bid. If there are only two players, most of that tension is gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix L.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi and thanks for your reply!

KissellMissile wrote:
A lot of the tension is in placing the second (or third in a 4 player game) bid, not knowing what those behind you might bid. If there are only two players, most of that tension is gone.

I totally agree on that, but it would be SO COOL if we could play Armageddon with just two players

I fear that it will come down to simulating a third player for the bidding and personally I don't like such two player variants...
It will probably be a hard task to figure out a playable variant, but if there would be one, some of us would really be grateful - especially me!

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
I can't really see a way that you can play the game in any interesting manner with only 2 players. A lot of the tension is in placing the second (or third in a 4 player game) bid, not knowing what those behind you might bid. If there are only two players, most of that tension is gone.

Lots of games with bidding elements have 2 player variants. I haven't thoroughly read the rules to this game, but I imagine there are ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play the game, so don't be too critical of this proposal. I'm just offering up an idea I had while reading this thread.

2-player variant option:
Theme - Marauder snipers (randomizers):

Roll either one d6 x2 or 2d6. (essentially gaining 2 results) Each player can roll once.

these results correspond to the 6 bidding spots on the board. You can assign which numbers identify which spot for your particular game. But for this example, a roll of 1 & 2 correspond to the 1st auction area (equipment). A result of #1 for the top spot and #2 for the 2nd spot. A roll of 3 & 4 = 2nd auction area (buildings), #3 = top spot and #4 = 2nd spot. 5 & 6 = 3rd auction area (building activation), #5 = top spot and #6 = 2nd spot.

...Continuing with the example, if your results are, say; 2 & 5. Then one meeple is removed from each corresponding spot. This can be (thematically) representative of sniper fire from marauders. I am not sure if you would just return the meeple to the general pool (killed). Or if you return the meeple to the owner/behind their screen (scared off by the sniper/suppression fire).

Rolling the same number in a round could obviously be a major blow that round for that player.

For the 3rd auction area (where the type of meeple(s) matter), I'd suggest targeting/removing the last meeple in line. That way the owning player, when placing their meeples, can have some control over what losses they might suffer. Just hope you can remember to place them correctly

I don't know if that would be a feasible option?? I am sure it would NOT work for everyone. Especially those that hate dice rolling and luck mechanics. But hey, it is an idea. Take it or leave it. But it is simple and rather thematic.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John L
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I picked this game up last week without realizing it was 3-4 player. With the following adjustments we feel it augments the challenges of the bidding system (a fair bit) and is fun for us to play:

1. When dealing out cards for equipment still deal 3 cards and place them on the 2, 3, and 3 person spaces. Similarly, deal 3 buildings. Any cards not selected will remain and get an extra person/token the next turn. Sometimes this leaves one building or equipment card that is relatively unattractive, but that just helps to mimic the reduction in choice that a third player may have caused.

2. When taking marauders (red pieces), instead of removing them or placing them in the bag, fill them in to the top bidding space on each of three auction tracks, starting from the left. This means that the marauders will accumulate on the auction tracks gradually throughout the game. If a person cannot beat the marauder bid, they cannot get the bonus, and the lowest bid below the marauder bid gets the penalty. Again, this mimics a third player without much added difficulty, making it progressively harder to get the bonus and avoid the penalty. (To clarify, each marauder we pick up we add to the '1' space on each track starting left to right, so the equipment track gets the first, then buildings, then the city).

These two rules let us play the game 2-player while still providing some choice and some (somewhat) tricky bidding decisions. Some games there are only a couple marauders built up on the tracks, while others we can get 3 or 4 per space by the 5th turn, making it difficult to get the bonus or avoid the penalty.

My wife and I have enjoyed it the few times we've played it this way!

One option to add more tension would be for the winning bidder to actually make a choice for the marauders to remove, leaving the other player with a single choice. I haven't implemented this yet because it's a bit more cutthroat, but it would likely emulate the actions of a third player more closely.

Best thing is that none of these rules require any extra equipment or any particular extra effort. Hopefully you find it useful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan T
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Cool and elegant variant -- one question on the marauders on the auction track, did you account for the way marauders not going into the bag negates the effect of marauders increasing in frequency as the game goes on, and is there anything in the 2-player experience that you think mitigates this? Or is it just an aspect of the game that's lost? It seems like this would eliminate a key part of the game's tension.

If you did want to keep all marauders in the bag as intended, you could still do it, and just use some type of additional counter that will track your dummy bid, based on the number of marauders that have come out.

Edit: the above suggestion wouldn't work as written; it would cause the marauder dummy bid to quickly escalate out of range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.