Subject: First scenario - Pict village rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
A few questions after trying this one out by myself:

1. Are the chests locked? I can't seemt to find any info about that.
2. Are the start positions fixed for the heroes or can they choose between the three?
3. To use "defend" (the shield symbol on the character sheet) I have to spend a gem right? But that allows for example Conan to roll one die plus one die for his shield right? The extra die for his armor I understood is for free.

Thankful for any help regarding these questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Rise And Reverberate
mbmbmbmbmb
The chests are locked, they take 2 success on a complex manipulation to open.
In the Monolith video of this scenario that was posted nearly two years ago the hero players decide where they want to start depending on what strategy they want to employ. Must admit it doesn't actually say this in the book though.
To defend you have to use a gem. Any armour or shields are free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavin23 wrote:
The chests are locked, they take 2 success on a complex manipulation to open.

A minor elaboration: this is clarified in the bottom paragraph of page 9, entitled "Opening a chest".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belloque wrote:

2. Are the start positions fixed for the heroes or can they choose between the three?

In the scenario set up it says:
"The heroes start in the areas indicated by the setup diagram."
I admit, this can be read more than one way but I believe the intent is that each character is set up exactly where it shows.
It would be interesting to mix this up though and would certainly stop some of the 'line of best fit' OL choices...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Thanks alot for helping out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gavin23 wrote:
Any armour or shields are free.

Shields are free? How do you figure that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpectrumDT wrote:
Gavin23 wrote:

See the bottom half of page 7 of the Heroes' Book for the specifics.

Caveat: the English edition words it such that the Armor and other defense dice are rolled in 2 separate pools (the implication of which is that they can't share rerolls for like-colored dice), but the French version does not do this and Monolith has verified that it was a mistranslation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
SpectrumDT wrote:
Gavin23 wrote:

See the bottom half of page 7 of the Heroes' Book for the specifics.

Caveat: the English edition words it such that the Armor and other defense dice are rolled in 2 separate pools (the implication of which is that they can't share rerolls for like-colored dice), but the French version does not do this and Monolith has verified that it was a mistranslation.

Page 7 of the Heroes' Book says:

Quote:
To perform a Guard action, the hero assigns one or more gems from their Reserve zone to their Guard space. The hero may then choose one of their equipment cards that has a Guard bonus to defend with, such as a weapon or shield.

This sounds to me as though shields can only be used when you spend gems to perform a Guard action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpectrumDT wrote:

Quote:
To perform a Guard action, the hero assigns one or more gems from their Reserve zone to their Guard space. The hero may then choose one of their equipment cards that has a Guard bonus to defend with, such as a weapon or shield.

This sounds to me as though shields can only be used when you spend gems to perform a Guard action.

i agree. Ignore me - i answered without having read the full context.

Armor is passive defense (and "free"). Shields/parrying weapons require active use via a Guard action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
SpectrumDT wrote:

Quote:

i agree. Ignore me - i answered without having read the full context.

Armor is passive defense (and "free"). Shields/parrying weapons require active use via a Guard action.

Shield/can only br used to block spells, ranged attacks, and area events, correct? It can't be used to block the snake attack or a weapin strike?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clanggedin wrote:
Shield/can only br used to block spells, ranged attacks, and area events, correct? It can't be used to block the snake attack or a weapin strike?

Yes, a shield OR weapon (only 1 of them at a time) can be used to defend against any melee attacks, but you can't use a weapon to parry spells, ranged attacks, and area attacks (you can use a shield for those, though). See the bottom section ("Guard", second paragraph) on page 7 of the Heroes' Book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clanggedin wrote:

Other way round - ONLY shields can be used to block spells, ranged and area. That doesn't mean that they can't be used to block melee attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hemulen wrote:
Clanggedin wrote:

Other way round - ONLY shields can be used to block spells, ranged and area. That doesn't mean that they can't be used to block melee attacks.

I was also confused by the wording of that rule in the book. At first I thought the same as Clangeddin - that a shield can only block spells etc., and NOT melee attacks.

But after rereading it, I believe that hemulen's interpretation is correct: A shield can block spells, ranged attacks, area attacks and melee attacks. A weapon can block only melee attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.