Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad McGown
United States
Pittsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not researched much into this game, but since it is co-op can I assume that it can be played solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Not really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure it can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Not really.

Why not? I'm playing it solo and I'm enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's technically nothing preventing you from playing the game solo - there's no hidden information or anything like that. We just felt like the game provided the most ideal experience with at least 2 people. The puzzle for each command line is somewhat robust, and while we probably could have sold more units if we'd marketed it as a solo experience, we felt the game wasn't as fun when played by yourself. But again there's nothing, technically, that prevents it from being played solo. .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Backes
Germany
Rosenheim
Bavaria
flag msg tools
How hard can it be...?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bm_eagle wrote:
I have not researched much into this game, but since it is co-op can I assume that it can be played solo?

Just play with 2 Mechs and it will provide lots and lots of fun solo. This is the only way I've played this game since I've got it and I really enjoyed myself

So from me it gets a big thumbs up as a solo game thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo as well as multiplayer.

For solo I remove the timer, turning it into much more of a brain teaser or puzzle, trying to optimise my plays. That works fine for me in solo, and I find playing 2 mechs is a lot of fun. I can take my time, step away when I feel like it, and treat it as a gentle brain workout.

Multiplayer is a very different game. Both player interaction and the timer add more chaos and hilarity.

But I enjoy both experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it plays fine solo, as most cooperative games do. Just be aware that it can be a bit of a brain burner to manage 2 or more mechs by yourself. Like Carl suggested, you'll probably want to play without the timer because of the extra multitasking you'll be doing between extra mechs. Then again, playing solo with a timer could inject a higher challenge level for the game if you feel you've already mastered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing solo with two mechs. It's quite challenging. I'll have to play without the timer to see if it helps decrease the difficulty. I'm sure it will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuparyk wrote:
bm_eagle wrote:

Just play with 2 Mechs and it will provide lots and lots of fun solo. This is the only way I've played this game since I've got it and I really enjoyed myself

So from me it gets a big thumbs up as a solo game thumbsup
I've played it twice this way as well. Brain burny to program two mechs, but lots of fun too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Guess I was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Harris
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm playing solo with 2 mechs as well. I am only on mission 2 but have found the need to play on EZ mode to learn what needs attention first in a 2-player/mech game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Four mechs, no problems. Great way to learn the tactics of the cards, since you can play the same scenario several times in a row. (Can't do that with my public Meetups since everyone wants to play the most different games in the shortest time possible!) Four mechs might be easier than two, since you can specialize more easily (eg. the aggressive mech that attacks minions, the mech that will achieve the objective, the defensive mech that protects the objective mech, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm fascinated at the result of this thread.

Would love to hear more about the solo/solitaire experience and how the game holds up, because I was pretty firmly with Kades in the "I guess you could, but it probably wouldn't be very much fun," camp.

What about this experience resonates with you and the other folks who have said, hell yeah single player is still a good time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiotFpMcgee wrote:

Would love to hear more about the solo/solitaire experience and how the game holds up, because I was pretty firmly with Kades in the "I guess you could, but it probably wouldn't be very much fun," camp.

What about this experience resonates with you and the other folks who have said, hell yeah single player is still a good time?

What I want in a game to play it solo:

- Immersion. Gotta be a theme or world I have fun throwing myself into. The great production quality of the game certainly helps this.

- Challenge. Something not too easy (but not borderline impossible either).

Then, if the mechanics allow it to be playable solo, I'm all in. I have a great time pretending to be all the different characters while looking at the big picture and trying to solve the puzzle aspect.

MvsM checks off all the boxes. Also, I like using 4 mechs and the timer while drafting. Then, if I screw up, the puzzle now includes finding a way to deal with the mistakes I made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info

Glad it's filled that criteria for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also been playing it solo and having a great time. I do get the sense that it would be more fun with more players so I would have someone to share in the stress and hilarity (and I do intend on playing with others, just haven't had the chance yet). But it absolutely works as a solo game and is as immersive and challenging as most of my other solo-able games. I've been playing 2 mechs and have found it surprisingly difficult. Not sure if playing more mechs would make it easier (more board presence) or harder (more programming slots to keep up with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiotFpMcgee wrote:
Thanks for the info

Glad it's filled that criteria for you!

Np. Thanks for making it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RiotFpMcgee wrote:

I've been playing it solo as well. I was playing 4 mechs up until the first boss fight and I dropped to 3 after that.

A lot of solo games are _very_ reliant on dice for randomness. MvM has very little of that, which is nice. Makes it more puzzle-like.

The components are stellar, the theme is well done. All around I'm very happy with my purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You peeps are much smarter than me. I can just about control 2, but I tried once or twice with three and it didn't go well. I have a teeny tiny brain, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
You peeps are much smarter than me. I can just about control 2, but I tried once or twice with three and it didn't go well. I have a teeny tiny brain, unfortunately.

I said I like using 4 mechs. I didn't say it usually goes well. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL JOHNSON
United Kingdom
HIGH WYCOMBE
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
Its great solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.