Subject: Help with the game system rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I just saw a copy of Hybrid at a flea market last week and had to buy it. I read the reviews here that were so positive and I already had some stuff for it, so I took the plunge. It is a typical good news/bad news story: the cards are all there, the glossy reference sheets are there, the boards and counters are mostly there, even the dice are there, but many of the minis are missing and the game is entirely in French. (My French is limited...)

I can use proxies for the minis, so that is not a problem. I found an English copy of the rulebook online and can muddle my way through the Nemesis rulebook's French (the BGG file looks like it has both Hybrid and Nemesis covered and Google Translate can help with the scenarios) so I should be good there as well.

My problem is that the cards are entirely in French and I need some parts- there is apparently at least one sheet for Nemesis which has T-junctions and corners which I lack.

Can someone point me to scans/text for the cards (mostly things like the events- I can figure out the characters' stats and don't need the back story on the cardbacks so I'm okay there)? I figure that way I can draw the cards as normal but have a sheet which tells me what the cards mean. I don't trust Google Translate with nuances or details for them.

Also, as far as the T-junctions and corners for Nemesis- I looked on the BGG page and see at least one scan of a counter sheet for them, but I'm not sure how many came with the game (the overview picture indicates several) and I could use scans of those pieces.

I think I have the rest- if anyone knows different please let me know. I knew when I bought the box it could be a project to get it up and running, so this is not unexpected. Just was hoping for some help from the BGG community for the system.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dierks
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to the Hybrid & Nemesis box contents, as well as errata for both:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/63w7zajh9x3qpmx/AAD0X6ExlwdmHRytJ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks- I just gave it a quick glance and that is really helpful. I really appreciate the errata- I didn't even think about that.

I also appreciate the Nemesis rulebook- I can make out the French with the help of Google, but this makes it even easier.

TBH, I wasn't even sure there was a community still active on this- I subscribed to the Yahoo Group to see more, but am still digesting everything. I'm looking forward to playing when I get everything ready.

Thanks- that was very kind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you like, I've also put up scans for the extra missions and modes from Cry Havoc magazine as well as the errata for the original missions here.

While checking in my Hybrid box for how many cards I would have to scan I also found some additional missions that I'll scan and add to this folder.

There's a large number of Confrontation minis that came with Hybrid cards, too. There used to be a wonderful database, but it seems to have disappeared -- if I can find it again I'll post here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Any help is appreciated, but it will take some time as I come up to speed on the system. The reviews say it is a little complicated, but worth it, so I am eager to do it but don't expect it will be quick.

I'd love to see the extra scenarios and characters- I saw mention of many of them out there on some fan pages, but I am still wrapping my head around the original scenarios. I am trying to understand the setup before I go too far in the weeds with extras.

All of this help is welcome- I never expected to see this at the flea market and so I didn't do my usual pre-purchase research. This was an impulse buy, but I am glad I did it. Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll leave them up as long as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, I've added scans of the remaining scenarios.

Just in case the link above is too hard to see:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h9h5rraic27olsq/AABcxBZSGDIMWqlw5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I've started working my way through all the material. I noticed about the characters that were mentioned before- I see what came with my game but also that there are others.

Question- how do you use the others? Is it just that you substitute in the scenario for the points given? Can I just make up my party based on whatever characters I want to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Milhouse917 wrote:
I've started working my way through all the material. I noticed about the characters that were mentioned before- I see what came with my game but also that there are others.

Question- how do you use the others? Is it just that you substitute in the scenario for the points given? Can I just make up my party based on whatever characters I want to?

Yep, the missions have a rank total that you can compose from whatever figures you want (up to the given maximum). Totally up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milhouse x
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks.

I've seen there are different factions- I am guessing from the Confrontation universe- that you can mix and match. Is there any advantage to using one or the other? I see people asking about the newer characters that appeared in magazines and such and I am curious if they make the scenarios easier or if they just provide an alternate experience when playing the scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry too much about missing the english rulebooks as the english version does contain several game altering translation errors (such as translating "one" as "all") and is in general not considered a good translation from the original french.

I would strongly suggest using the Strain SI-ep/23 rules for Hybrid and Nemesis done by
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
mbmbmbmbmb

They are a rewrite of the rules done with permission from Rackham that fixes all the translation errors and contains all official errata and clarifications.
They can be found in the file section: Hybrid rule compilation
The only thing you would need the rulebooks for is for the scenarios.

Milhouse917 wrote:
Question- how do you use the other (characters)? Is it just that you substitute in the scenario for the points given? Can I just make up my party based on whatever characters I want to?

The scenarios have a model (amount) and rank (point cost) limit that you can not exceed for each side. Every (even uncomplete pair) of Rank 0 models count as one Rank. It is quite normal to be below the model limit, but you should always max out the rank limit unless you want to give your opponent an advantage.
So if a mission says 12 Models / 8 Ranks you could field two Rank 4s OR ten Rank 0s (count as five ranks total), one Rank 1 and one Rank 2 OR four Rank 1s and two Rank 2 OR any other combination that does not exceed either limit.

Milhouse917 wrote:
I've seen there are different factions- I am guessing from the Confrontation universe- that you can mix and match. Is there any advantage to using one or the other?

The factions are mostly there for fluff (the background of the Rackham universe is amazing if you are into this kind of thing). Unless a scenario calls for specific factions you can play all of the "blue" (Griffin Lodge of Hod, Griffin Inquisition, Lions of Alahan, Cynwäll Elves, Dwarves of Tir-Na-Bor) or all of the "green" (Laboratory Dirz, Modern Dirz, Undead of Acheron, Ophidians) guys together.

The different factions/profiles are indeed there to provide alternate experiences.
Btw. the Hybrid Yahoo group has a table with all 69 official profiles in the database section (I should really port that over to BGG sometime).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.