Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that the Americans face a great dilemma on the next election day, and I cannot really talk about it because it is not my own country.

But one thing I can talk about is strategic voting because I have been doing that kind of voting in Canada for at least 10 years.

Strategic voting is like when you play Twilight Struggle with a choice of 2 Russian cards when you play the Americans. Both cards are bad, but one is worst than the other. The best strategy is to play the least worst card.

In Canada, especially in Quebec, many people don't know who to vote for because all parties are bad. In Canada we have 3 main parties, in Quebec we have 3.5 popular parties. People do not want to vote for anybody, but one thing for sure, people know who NOT to vote for.

But like many people said, we don't want to vote AGAINST somebody, we want to vote FOR somebody.

Well, as our democracy is aging, voting FOR somebody is a luxury we cannot afford anymore. As I said, for the last 10-15 years, there is nobody I would be willing to vote for. So how do you deal which such situation? The only solution is Strategic voting.

Which means voting for the option that has the best chance of making sure the worst option does NOT occur. Because you really don't want that worst option to occur.

So all this time, I have been voting for people I don't like to avoid even worst consequence. It might not feel right, but at least you reduce the possible damage that a worst option could bring.

It's like having to chose between getting shot in the arm or getting shot in the leg. They are both painful options, but one is more convenient than the other. For example: If I get shot in the leg, I cannot walk anymore, which could be much more inconvenient than not being able to use my right arm.

It might be your first time at strategic voting, and this could be the reason why you are outraged by the available options. I hope it happens only once in your history, else if it occurs again you'll at least you'll have some training at it.

Don't despair, you will eventually get used to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's naive to think that politicians are any worse than they were in the last 100 years. They've been much worse in the past actually. We just didn't see behind the curtain.

The loss of privacy means as voters we need to put on our big boy pants and vote intelligently instead of emotionally. But most humans are not wired that way. Dale Carnegie figured out (and numerous studies supported the position) that people decide with their emotions first and then rationalize the facts to fit their emotions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about 'toi' "explains" them Canadian Parties and basically what these "comprised" about them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
I think it's naive to think that politicians are any worse than they were in the last 100 years. They've been much worse in the past actually. We just didn't see behind the curtain.

The loss of privacy means as voters we need to put on our big boy pants and vote intelligently instead of emotionally. But most humans are not wired that way. Dale Carnegie figured out (and numerous studies supported the position) that people decide with their emotions first and then rationalize the facts to fit their emotions.

Some was worse and we knew it. Grant's administration was shockingly corrupt. It's documented, it was horrible. It didn't however, happen to *us* so what is fresh seems worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Are you firing the first shot in defense of a President Hillary?
More 'history' REPEAT? Teapot Dome Scandal whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There has always been corruption in all countries and governments since the beginning of time as many of these corruptions are the results of common human behavior. Like:

"Hey, I know a guy that can do this for you"
OR
"I'll pay you lunch"

As long as governments are run by human being, it is subject to corruption.

Quote:
Dale Carnegie figured out (and numerous studies supported the position) that people decide with their emotions first and then rationalize the facts to fit their emotions.

Here in canada, I thought is was only french canadian syndrome since Political scientist said that votes in all provinces were predictable with the use of survey and statistics except for the quebec province.

So I thought everywhere else people voted with their reason (even if the logic is wrong) instead of their emotions. But it does not seems to be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

I, for one, welcome our AI overlords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be confusing strategic voting with tactical voting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
It's like having to chose between getting shot in the arm or getting shot in the leg.

"Strategic voting" implies some kind of long term goal, that you vote against your interest in the short term, but for your interests long term. Do you have a long term goal you are trying to accomplish?

From reading your post, I see no long term vision other than acclimatizing yourself, figuratively speaking, to getting shot. The end result would be a contest among politicians regarding how awful they can be to you and still get your vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
larienna wrote:

I, for one, welcome our AI overlords.

Genysis is Skynet.

We could always go the opposite route with "Service guarantees citizenship." We might not need everyone to join the mobile infantry but I'm sure actually working behind like the desk of the DMV office or other civil positions will give people a better perspective on things now that civics isn't really covered in schools. If nothing else it would make people actually value enfranchisement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
angry -"Fashionable Male" proprietor: ~"The 'customer' is always an ASSHOLE!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Strategic voting" implies some kind of long term goal, that you vote against your interest in the short term, but for your interests long term. Do you have a long term goal you are trying to accomplish?

Your definition of Strategic Voting would be for example, being in favor of a party's global policy but being against a single specific policy. So even if you don't like that specific policy, the rest seems good for you.

I my case, I normally look only at the global policies and rarely at the specific policies which are sometimes called electoral promises which most of the time never gets fulfilled anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
You may be confusing strategic voting with tactical voting.
Right, strategic voting is voting for third parties. Tactical, or hysterical, voting is giving in to fear and choosing the lesser of two evils.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Your definition of Strategic Voting would be for example, being in favor of a party's global policy but being against a single specific policy. So even if you don't like that specific policy, the rest seems good for you.

Definition of "strategy": a plan of action or policy designed to achieve a major or overall aim.

Your voting choices seem defeatist and utterly devoid of strategy. What "overall aim" are you trying to accomplish by voting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.