Digenvez
France
Quimper
Bretagne
flag msg tools
À jamais dans nos esprits...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The time is the beginning of Age III. I'm at three space of military victory. I build the Statue of Liberty. I look at the three cards. They are all reds. One with three shields, two with two shields. I build the one with three shields, I discard one with two shields, I give one with two shields to my opponent.

What happens with the military token ? Do I get the military victory (I build my card first) or do the token advance by only one space (the two cards are built simultaneously) ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaudel wrote:
The time is the beginning of Age III. I'm at three space of military victory. I build the Statue of Liberty. I look at the three cards. They are all reds. One with three shields, two with two shields. I build the one with three shields, I discard one with two shields, I give one with two shields to my opponent.

What happens with the military token ? Do I get the military victory (I build my card first) or do the token advance by only one space (the two cards are built simultaneously) ?

The military token advances 1 space

Both of the buildings are awarded as a result of the exact same action so should be built at the exact same time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digenvez
France
Quimper
Bretagne
flag msg tools
À jamais dans nos esprits...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I lost the game as my opponent gets 6 scientific symbols later... cry

Thanks for the answer !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Juhl
Denmark
Ørbæk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pallet Ranger wrote:
arnaudel wrote:

The military token advances 1 space

Both of the buildings are awarded as a result of the exact same action so should be built at the exact same time

It this an official answer?
Might be a corner-case that might never show up again but just in case....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niilaz
Finland
flag msg tools
If this was the case, what happens when both players complete a pair of science symbols as a result of building the statue? Who gets to pick the token first?

This question (and my sense of game balance) led me to believe that statue's effect would be applied sequentially: first you pick a card for yourself and apply its effect, then you discard a card and finally give the last card to your opponent, applying its effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miche
Germany
flag msg tools
... or am I?
badge
I see dead people...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in this case it is important to know. I tend towards your interpretation. After all, the player building the wonder should be treated preferentially - it's his card after all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I'm missing something but I don't see why they wouldn't be applied sequentially. The description here on BGG says...

Card wrote:
Take the three cards of the current Age which were returned to the box during the game’s setup. Choose and construct one for free, place one in the discard pile, and your opponent constructs the third for free.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't apply the effects in between constructions. Is there something in the rules about building multiple cards at once? If there isn't, I would say that you definitely should as you apply the effects after every other card is built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Niilaz wrote:
If this was the case, what happens when both players complete a pair of science symbols as a result of building the statue? Who gets to pick the token first?

Though highly unlikely in practice, it could even happen that the Statue of Liberty gives both players their sixth different scientific symbol for Scientific Supremacy:
Both of us have one of the four scientific symbols from ages I and II, I have for instance the University from age III and the opponent has the Progress Token Law. The 3 "statue cards" are Academy, Study and Observatory. If I take the Academy or Study that gives me my sixth symbol, I have to give the opponent a card with his sixth symbol as well.

Moreover, for what it's worth, the wording of the German version of the rulesheet for Statue of Liberty even clearly implies a sequential treatment: It uses the word "danach" (="afterwards").
However, this isn't conclusive on its own yet as the original language of this game is French and the French rulesheet is as unclear on the matter as the English one as far as I can see. (Or is there a hidden sequential meaning of the French "en" in this usage I am unaware of? I don't think so.)

But all things considered, I fully agree with Niilaz' interpretation. The effects of the cards from Statue should be treated sequentially (in those rare cases where it matters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.