Subject: How cooperative is Rhodes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

This is something I would like to share. How do the other players feel about this? Please post your experience. Is it cooperative or not?

Our last experience was:
Cooperative game play does pay off!!!

Last Thursday we tested one of the three expert variants of the Rhodes board game. The players who played the game a bit nasty, without sharing anything, they did not do well. They did OK, but the player who made most friends and by... deliberately stressing his goodness ... got the products he needed to succeed victoriously. We had an incredible lot of FUN testing this!!!

Rhodes does have an interesting edge. The players in the picture played together. And sharing, also economically, does benefit the players who do... most of the time, but not always:).

We have now three expert variants on the game, with just small adjustments, to enjoy the game just a bit longer. Between 10-20 minutes longer. We will put them ONLINE in the coming week.

To make it very clear: Rhodes as it is, is already well-balanced and will be enjoyed much. Of course, if you have one strong player and a few newbies, it is clear the stronger / experienced player will win the game in 80% of the situations. And this can result in quite a gap. As we have always told our customers: Rhodes is not a family game, but a (light) expert.

The expert rule variations we will provide our fans with are only for those who want to deepen the game just a little bit more. Have just a bit more time to test the different strategies as VP, logistics, money and production.

None of the expert game variants will result in a strong expert game which takes over 2 hours, unless nobody wants to win:) and they are stalling the end of the game. But most certainly if you use the expert variants you will still enjoy:
1) the strong interaction in the game
2) the economical dilemma's in the game
3) you will have to watch what the other games will doe
4) it is different each time you play: due to the kind of players, the number of players and now...
- the variations give you even some more ways to play.

Every player or player group can make it's own rules or family rules, but the variations we will provide, do give you a balanced game, without the risk of creating an unfair game or a game that takes much longer than anticipated for. This might kill the fun.

And as we always say:
We create fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this is based on a single 4-player game (where we got a rule wrong -- we didn't give money/VP for shipping) so take it for what it's worth.

However, I get a very strong Puerto Rico feel to Rhodes. There's a lot of left-right binding and "if I take this action, who at the table benefits the most" questions. Even more than I expected, this is game that needs to be played with the same group of people (like Puerto Rico). As far as cooperative/competitive, I think Puerto Rico is a good example. As long as you're helping yourself at least as much as anyone else, I think it's nice to be nice. However, you need to make sure people are taking advantage of you.

I'm a little concerned about whether I'll be able to get a group to play this regularly, but I really enjoyed my first play. One question... the box says 2 - 5 players, but I just can't see how 2 player will be interesting and I'm worried that even 3 players will be too open. Can you give any insights on why 2 and 3 players game are just as good as 4 and 5 player games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.