Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://politics.slashdot.org/story/16/11/04/238235/teenager...

Quote:

Facebook Republicans Social Networks The Internet Politics
Teenagers In Macedonia Launch Fake Pro-Trump Sites To Earn Money (buzzfeed.com) 8
Posted by EditorDavid on Saturday November 05, 2016 @10:34AM from the smells-like-teen-spirit dept.
"In Macedonia the economy is very weak and teenagers are not allowed to work, so we need to find creative ways to make some money," one 17-year-old told BuzzFeed News, which reports on a "strange hub" of over 140 political sites, all being run in the same small town in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
These sites have American-sounding domain names such as WorldPoliticus.com, TrumpVision365.com, USConservativeToday.com, DonaldTrumpNews.co, and USADailyPolitics.com. They almost all publish aggressively pro-Trump content aimed at conservatives and Trump supporters in the U.S... The young Macedonians who run these sites say they don't care about Donald Trump. They are responding to straightforward economic incentives... The fraction-of-a-penny-per-click of U.S. display advertising -- a declining market for American publishers -- goes a long way in Veles. Several teens and young men who run these sites told BuzzFeed News that they learned the best way to generate traffic is to get their politics stories to spread on Facebook -- and the best way to generate shares on Facebook is to publish sensationalist and often false content that caters to Trump supporters... Most of the posts on these sites are aggregated, or completely plagiarized, from fringe and right-wing sites in the U.S...

Earlier this year they experimented with fake sites supporting Bernie Sanders, "but nothing performed as well on Facebook as Trump content," according to the 16-year-old who operates BVANews.com. The largest Macedonian sites now have hundreds of thousands of followers on Facebook, and sources close to one site say it earns $5,000 per month, and has even earned $3,000 in a single day.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/24/facebook-...
Quote:

In fact, these foreign sites probably wouldn’t exist without their domestic counterparts, from whom they crib many of their stories. (Alex admits he started out by copying and pasting stories from conservative US news sites but says he’s recently hired a half-dozen US-based writers to produce original content.)

I really missed an opportunity to make some money here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
https://politics.slashdot.org/story/16/11/04/238235/teenager...

Quote:

Facebook Republicans Social Networks The Internet Politics
Teenagers In Macedonia Launch Fake Pro-Trump Sites To Earn Money (buzzfeed.com) 8
Posted by EditorDavid on Saturday November 05, 2016 @10:34AM from the smells-like-teen-spirit dept.
"In Macedonia the economy is very weak and teenagers are not allowed to work, so we need to find creative ways to make some money," one 17-year-old told BuzzFeed News, which reports on a "strange hub" of over 140 political sites, all being run in the same small town in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
These sites have American-sounding domain names such as WorldPoliticus.com, TrumpVision365.com, USConservativeToday.com, DonaldTrumpNews.co, and USADailyPolitics.com. They almost all publish aggressively pro-Trump content aimed at conservatives and Trump supporters in the U.S... The young Macedonians who run these sites say they don't care about Donald Trump. They are responding to straightforward economic incentives... The fraction-of-a-penny-per-click of U.S. display advertising -- a declining market for American publishers -- goes a long way in Veles. Several teens and young men who run these sites told BuzzFeed News that they learned the best way to generate traffic is to get their politics stories to spread on Facebook -- and the best way to generate shares on Facebook is to publish sensationalist and often false content that caters to Trump supporters... Most of the posts on these sites are aggregated, or completely plagiarized, from fringe and right-wing sites in the U.S...

Earlier this year they experimented with fake sites supporting Bernie Sanders, "but nothing performed as well on Facebook as Trump content," according to the 16-year-old who operates BVANews.com. The largest Macedonian sites now have hundreds of thousands of followers on Facebook, and sources close to one site say it earns $5,000 per month, and has even earned $3,000 in a single day.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/24/facebook-...
Quote:

In fact, these foreign sites probably wouldn’t exist without their domestic counterparts, from whom they crib many of their stories. (Alex admits he started out by copying and pasting stories from conservative US news sites but says he’s recently hired a half-dozen US-based writers to produce original content.)

I'm OK with rubes being used to generate some $.

The best irony.... many of them are foreign Muslims.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I've got some actual "Fools GOLD" of which I'll SELL them this, because; 'part their monies' this WAY too! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Off the original topic, I'm amazed at the number of people who seem to make money on Twitch.tv and YouTube doing playthroughs of big computer games. I say "big", but maybe that's my prejudice and all video games are played.

It's also a great way to see a big game like Civ V or VI, Cities: Skylines, or Factorio.

Of course, since they're playing a big game and video streaming and recording, they need an expensive gaming rig, with I expect at least two monitors if not three, but still: ad revenue, donations, free games....

Though I suppose Wil Wheaton doesn't do his shows entirely for fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Off the original topic, I'm amazed at the number of people who seem to make money on Twitch.tv and YouTube doing playthroughs of big computer games. I say "big", but maybe that's my prejudice and all video games are played.

It's also a great way to see a big game like Civ V or VI, Cities: Skylines, or Factorio.

Of course, since they're playing a big game and video streaming and recording, they need an expensive gaming rig, with I expect at least two monitors if not three, but still: ad revenue, donations, free games....

Though I suppose Wil Wheaton doesn't do his shows entirely for fun.

I like the idea of Factorio being considered a big game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much money they make will shock you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that some of this money went to ISIS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

They should "donate" it to the Clinton foundation for some sweet perks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:

159 player multiplayer:

I rest my case. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Oh, the sweet, sweet irony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

159 player multiplayer:

I rest my case. laugh

That's incredible. I hadn't even heard of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

i would think that that is extremely unlikely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.