2 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Escape from Dol Guldur setup. 6 encounter cards!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have played through Escape from Dol Guldur a few times now (mostly resulting in defeat) and had a question on my mind about encounter cards functioning as attachments. After looking further into the rules, I now have a new interpretation of EfDG's setup and I really hope it is wrong because it would make EfDG even more difficult.

I wanted to ask: Does the setup to EfDG result in two encounter cards being attached to each objective?

-

Setup: Search the encounter deck for the 3 objective cards, reveal and place them in the staging area.

FFG FAQ 1.01 states that as the objective cards are being "revealed", each of their "Guarded" keywords are activated. It doesn't matter that it is during the setup. The core rules also state that the encounter cards brought into play from the "Guarded" keyword are also "revealed", so any "Doomed", "Surge", or "When Revealed" effects on these cards are activated.

So at this stage in the setup we have the three objectives in the staging area, each with one encounter card attached, maybe less, maybe more, depending on; whether any of the attached encounter cards were treachery cards, resulting in their respective objective cards being unguarded after resolving and discarding the treachery card; or whether any of the attached encounter cards had "Surge", resulting in additional cards being added to the staging area.

Also, place the Nazgul of Dol Guldur face up but out of play, alongside the quest deck.

Put the Nazgul to the side. Yep, I'm happy I understand that bit.

Then shuffle the encounter deck, and attach 1 encounter to each objective card.

So now we attach another encounter card to each objective!? At least these encounter cards are not "revealed", so we don't have to worry about any "Surge", "Doomed" or "When Revealed" effects from these, but still, this means you could have six encounter cards, guarding the objectives, which seems ridiculous when you remove a hero later on in the scenario setup as well.

Please tell me I'm wrong and have missed something. Is there some reason you should only be attaching one "batch" of encounter cards rather than both "batches" like I have described above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikedrj wrote:
I have played through Escape from Dol Guldur a few times now (mostly resulting in defeat) and had a question on my mind about encounter cards functioning as attachments. After looking further into the rules, I now have a new interpretation of EfDG's setup and I really hope it is wrong because it would make EfDG even more difficult.

I wanted to ask: Does the setup to EfDG result in two encounter cards being attached to each objective?

-

Setup: Search the encounter deck for the 3 objective cards, reveal and place them in the staging area.

FFG FAQ 1.01 states that as the objective cards are being "revealed", each of their "Guarded" keywords are activated. It doesn't matter that it is during the setup. The core rules also state that the encounter cards brought into play from the "Guarded" keyword are also "revealed", so any "Doomed", "Surge", or "When Revealed" effects on these cards are activated.

So at this stage in the setup we have the three objectives in the staging area, each with one encounter card attached, maybe less, maybe more, depending on; whether any of the attached encounter cards were treachery cards, resulting in their respective objective cards being unguarded after resolving and discarding the treachery card; or whether any of the attached encounter cards had "Surge", resulting in additional cards being added to the staging area.

Also, place the Nazgul of Dol Guldur face up but out of play, alongside the quest deck.

Put the Nazgul to the side. Yep, I'm happy I understand that bit.

Then shuffle the encounter deck, and attach 1 encounter to each objective card.

So now we attach another encounter card to each objective!? At least these encounter cards are not "revealed", so we don't have to worry about any "Surge", "Doomed" or "When Revealed" effects from these, but still, this means you could have six encounter cards, guarding the objectives, which seems ridiculous when you remove a hero later on in the scenario setup as well.

Please tell me I'm wrong and have missed something. Is there some reason you should only be attaching one "batch" of encounter cards rather than both "batches" like I have described above.

From the FAQ:

Quote:
Q: During the Setup for stage 1A of The
Necromancer’s Tower (Core 123), should each
objective have one encounter card attached to it, or
two?
A: One. When you reveal a Guarded objective, you
must reveal the top card of the encounter deck and
attach it to that objective, guarding it. The additional
instruction on The Necromancer’s Tower to “... attach
1 encounter to each objective card” is there as a
reminder, so that players know to attach 1 encounter
card to each Guarded objective.

So I'm pretty sure you only attach one guard to each "guarded" card. This stage is hard enough as is! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.