Popular Tags: [View All]
John K
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all,

I just purchased Inis based of SU&SD's review and after reading through the forums here. I was wondering what tips you would have for teaching the game to non-boardgamers? Looking to sink my teeth into this right away and would love to know your thoughts on what makes it easier to teach or what elements can be confusing.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freightrain12 wrote:
Hey all,

I just purchased Inis based of SU&SD's review and after reading through the forums here. I was wondering what tips you would have for teaching the game to non-boardgamers? Looking to sink my teeth into this right away and would love to know your thoughts on what makes it easier to teach or what elements can be confusing.

Thanks!

Confrontational interaction-heavy board game with non-gamers?

Brave.

While Inis is a great game, I suggest giving new gamers a spin with a gateway game first You really don't want to play games like this with non-gamers, if one or two are unhappy, it sours the whole experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like telling them the main rules of the game are simply listed on the cards they play. So that's 2/3's of the game rules right there.

I would then share the victory conditions on what they need to win. and show them what it looks like on the board.

Then I would hand them some cards and do a battle as if you were the instigator. Throw a couple cities in the territory and show them how to protect their guys, then let them battle it out and make their own decisions.

Drafting is simple enough to explain to non-gamers and gamers alike, but to explain strategy in drafting is beast in itself.

The reference card they give is great in explaining things...however the Victory conditions are not printed on them. Maybe having a separate home made index card with Victory Conditions would be good.

If they still have a confused look on their face, go through the action cards and do that action one at a time. The red cards are just fancy action cards that have a fancier action...ohhhhh and above all else Explain the Difference between a Season action and a Tristel action! My friend got them confused all night and pretty much showed me all his red cards by doing them in the wrong order :-)

Over all the game is actually quite easy to pick up on and a non optimal starting move in this game is not the end of the world by a long shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We have player Lords of Vegas and Pandemic (on the brink as well). Do you think we can still play this as a group?

Slashdoctor wrote:
freightrain12 wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks!

Confrontational interaction-heavy board game with non-gamers?

Brave.

While Inis is a great game, I suggest giving new gamers a spin with a gateway game first You really don't want to play games like this with non-gamers, if one or two are unhappy, it sours the whole experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
You know your friends better than anyone here. Inis requires a bit of reading (with the cards), strategizing, and knocking down someone if they're in the lead.

If it sounds like your friends will enjoy something like that, definitely give it a go. At worst, you call it and play something else you enjoy more. You can always try it again once they've experienced more games.

(Personally, I've spread the board gaming curse amongst many friends with area control games like this. Some people love aggressive gameplay.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John K
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
late for dinner wrote:

The reference card they give is great in explaining things...however the Victory conditions are not printed on them. Maybe having a separate home made index card with Victory Conditions would be good.

I was wondering if anyone could provide a picture of the reference card Inis uses? I have read over the rules now online and am awaiting the package to arrive. But, I want to get a head start on what this card looks like. I may be creating another card to go alongside with it if needed! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.