Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Procopio
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't have any miniatures for this period/setting, but I'm intrigued. It's described as a skirmish game: does that mean each player can get away with somewhere around 6-12 figures each, or will more be needed? The manufacturer's website shed no light on this other than to say it's a "skirmish" game.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The basic units are 12 figures for a European/Askari type infantry unit (7-8 for cavalry) and 16 figures for native infantry (12 for native cavalry). I play with 8 for Europeans and 12 for natives. Although the scale is cited as "1 figure per man", this doesn't really work out in terms of game play. I feel that thinking of each European unit as a company "feels" more appropriate. In other words, you are not really using figures as individuals. They are definitely part of a larger unit.

Congo is more a game of individual figures. (I have both and like both, but they are slightly different orientations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Procopio
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! I picked up Congo recently, and it sounds like that might scratch the itch I have a bit better, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
MWWBK is more of a 'large skirmish', where a player has command of a 'Field Force' of several units.

E.g., General 'Fightin' Joe' Procopio's Relief Force with 3 companies of US Marines (each a rifle-armed sharpshooting foot unit of 10 to 12 figures each); a troop of US Cavalry (8 figures); and a US Gatling gun (with 4 crew). Oppose that with any manner of enemies, from dispossessed Yakamas, marauding Mexican Irregular banditos, Filipino tribesmen, to Imperial Chinese in the Boxer Rebellion.

Good thing is if you start off with 'Congo' it doesn't then take too much to expand upwards with more figures to eventually do MWWBK as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
donjondo
Scotland
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The recommended Field Force is 24 points. Forces can consist of the following types of units:

Regular units: 6 points
Irregular units: 4 points
Tribal units: 3 points
Crewed Weapons: 4 or 6 points (depending on quality)

(though units can be downgraded to a minimum of 2, and upgraded to a maximum of 9 to give them different characteristics)

The numbers of figures in each type of unit is different:

Regular + Irregular Infantry: 12 models per unit
Regular + Irregular Cavalry: 8 models per unit
Tribal Infantry: 16 models per unit
Tribal Cavalry: 10 models per unit
Crewed Weapons: 1 gun plus 4 crew

So the following 3 Field Forces would be possible:

4 Regular Infantry Units (24 pts): 48 figures
6 Irregular Infantry Units (24 pts): 72 figures
8 Tribal Infantry Units (24 pts): 128 figures

However it's probably best to mix things up a bit and add some characteristics, so you may end up fielding less figures in a Field Force.

There is an optional rule for smaller skirmishes, that suggests halving the number of figures in each unit type. The rules suggest that this makes it harder to pin units as they have fewer casualties to absorb, so you're more likely to destroy a unit before it becomes pinned. Apparently this leads to a quicker game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.