$35.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » News

Subject: German Release rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
According to Heidelberger Spieleverlag's Facebook site, AHLCG's german release will be in the first quarter of 2017. Something about misinformation and taking time to make a higher quality game.
Guess this will be the first english version of a FFG game I'm getting.

German version:
Laut ihrer Facebook-Seite wird das AHLCG auf deutsch erst im ersten Quartal 2017 rauskommen. Irgendwas mit Fehlinformationen und dass sie qualitativ hochwertigere Fehlübersetzungen herausbringen wollen.
Wird wohl das erste FFG-Spiel sein, dass ich mir auf englisch hole.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
"qualitativ hochwertigere FEHLübersetzungen"???


I would guess that they might have heard about some upcoming errata, already, and want to incorporate them into their translations. Heidelberger usually does a good to stellar job regarding this. But in case of any and all mythos-related games, I have always gone for the original FFG version. Not because they are available earlier, but because I simply cannot stand their translation to some of the monsters and antagonists...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
"qualitativ hochwertigere FEHLübersetzungen"???


I would guess that they might have heard about some upcoming errata, already, and want to incorporate them into their translations. Heidelberger usually does a good to stellar job regarding this. But in case of any and all mythos-related games, I have always gone for the original FFG version. Not because they are available earlier, but because I simply cannot stand their translation to some of the monsters and antagonists...


Can you give some examples? I'm on the fence on this...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Goetz
Germany
Ruesselsheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this was to be my first german version. Just cancelled it friday... now I am hoping for the quick postal service from UK cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:

Can you give some examples? I'm on the fence on this...


never seen an error (don't play that much german stuff tho, so ymmv), but I remember a sketchy translation in imperial assault where heidelberger translated "cleave" with "rumdumschlug" - no, hitting an adjacent target is not a whirlwind. it's even worse coming from descent or MMOs.

and I'm not a fan of the smaller print they have to use to get some for the german text on cards (a german text is on average 30% longer than the same in english).

otoh the german version and it's packs are usually cheaper than the english ones - up to 25-30% each, which makes a big difference a few cycles and deluxe boxes in, and if you got a lot of fluff to read (out lout) it can be a pain in the butt even for people with good english; eldritch horror for example.

but then if it's not star wars delays aren't that unusual, so if you want stuff ASAP you pay for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you a lot for the insights!

More on this topic are certainly welcome
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nyarly362 wrote:
this was to be my first german version. Just cancelled it friday... now I am hoping for the quick postal service from UK cry


My english copy has been sent out today from fantasywelt.de
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
flag msg tools
Ahoy landlubber!
badge
ARRR!
mbmbmbmbmb
At Brettspielversand.de the delivery date is 31.03.2017, but at Fantasy-In it's 20.11.2016. So I guess we will know in 9 days if the earlier one is right or if we have to wait until 2017. I think 31.03.2017 seems really late.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayki Don Kyanon
Germany
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it perhaps more intelligent to purchase an english version of this rather than the german one?
I think the english version are typically more expensive in Germany but could be wrong.

What do you guys think?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haven't played an LCG before but I've seen the prices. English version is definitely a lot more expensive in Germany. If you can avoid it, I would.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wait for the german because "HEidelberger" are always (Netrunner and co)late for the core game but when they hit the market they keeping up with FFG (may be 1-3 Days delay) So I will support Heidelberr (also because of the cost)

BR Steve
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I read on Heidelbär that the german version is allready released (like 2 weeks ago if I`m right) but I cant find it anywhere to buy. Is this normal or some kind of iluminati conspiracy to sabotage my mood?!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Schulz
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Fantasywelt.de seem to have copies in stock. Magierspiele.de don't have core games anymore, but the Dunwich Expansion und the first Mythos pack listed as available.

YRMV.

Sven
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, fantasywelt doesnt Have them in stock anymore it seems. Does that mean the first print run is allready sold out?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebiroe wrote:
well, fantasywelt doesnt Have them in stock anymore it seems. Does that mean the first print run is allready sold out?

I pre-ordered at fantasy welt and got my copy about a week ago. Sorry buddy. Seems to be sold out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine last week as well from fantasywelt.de at a good price and the usual fast service.

Regarding "Fehlübersetzung", I whine every time I read "eine Aktion NEHMEN"...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Regarding "Fehlübersetzung", I whine every time I read "eine Aktion NEHMEN"...

got a better idea?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
Mixo wrote:
Regarding "Fehlübersetzung", I whine every time I read "eine Aktion NEHMEN"...

got a better idea?


Better idea? There is no BETTER idea here, there is a correct translation and an incorrect one - You can not translate to TAKE an action word by word into German language! The term "eine Aktion NEHMEN" does NOT exist in German language.

An alternative is easy to find, just take a look at ANY German rulebook that includes players taking actions and you will find...

* eine Aktion ausführen *



But who knows, maybe in some strange German dialect you can also "eine Dusche nehmen" as translation for "to take a shower"





1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Anduin wrote:
Mixo wrote:
Regarding "Fehlübersetzung", I whine every time I read "eine Aktion NEHMEN"...

got a better idea?


Better idea? There is no BETTER idea here, there is a correct translation and an incorrect one - You can not translate to TAKE an action word by word into German language! The term "eine Aktion NEHMEN" does NOT exist in German language.

An alternative is easy to find, just take a look at ANY German rulebook that includes players taking actions and you will find...

* eine Aktion ausführen *



But who knows, maybe in some strange German dialect you can also "eine Dusche nehmen" as translation for "to take a shower"

You can certainly "take a bath" ("ein Bad nehmen").
Since you have 3 actions that you can "spend", I don't see why you can't "take" them in the sense of "nehmen" ("in Anspruch nehmen").
Anyways, we are talking about localization here, not translation. Localization has to not only take the correct translation and meaning into account, but also sentence structure and "length" of words. You don't want to translate a one syllable word (take) into a three syllable word (ausführen) if there is a shorter alternative, especially when this phrasing will be written on a lot of cards (where we all know: space is limited).

I'm not trying to defend the German localization industry (it is actually pretty bad) but we have to distinguish between actual wrong translation and bad localization.
Example from the tv show Futurama:
"piggyback ride" -> "Schweinerückenlauf" => Thats (really) bad translation
Example from Eldritch Horror:
"Omen" -> "Vorzeichen" => That is bad localization
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:

You can certainly "take a bath" ("ein Bad nehmen").


Oh, yes, you can also "take an apple"... shake Sorry, but you can NEITHER "take a shower" NOR "Take an action" in German language

Anduin wrote:

Since you have 3 actions that you can "spend", I don't see why you can't
"take" them in the sense of "nehmen" ("in Anspruch nehmen").


Just because they used the word NEHMEN, not "in Anspruch nehmen" even then I am afraid to say that "eine Aktion Anspruch nehmen" isn't any good either.


Anduin wrote:

Anyways, we are talking about localization here, not translation. Localization has to not only take the correct translation and meaning into account, but also sentence structure and "length" of words. You don't want to translate a one syllable word (take) into a three syllable word (ausführen) if there is a shorter alternative, especially when this phrasing will be written on a lot of cards (where we all know: space is limited).


Even taking limited space into account, I do not see why a WRONG verb is used here - having said that "durchführen" is not even THAT longer than "nehmen". Heck it would have even been better to use the horrible "machen" which is just as long as "nehmen". Besides if you want it very short:

even the most horrible "eine Aktion TUN" would have been better than "eine Aktion NEHMEN" (both, syntactically AND semantically)

Anduin wrote:

I'm not trying to defend the German localization industry (it is actually pretty bad) but we have to distinguish between actual wrong translation and bad localization.
Example from the tv show Futurama:
"piggyback ride" -> "Schweinerückenlauf" => Thats (really) bad translation
Example from Eldritch Horror:
"Omen" -> "Vorzeichen" => That is bad localization


Sorry, but translating "take action" as "Aktion nehmen" is a wrong translation, not a bad localization - these things are called "false friends" for students of foreign languages

https://books.google.de/books?id=274GkFxglgAC&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Sorry, but translating "take action" as "Aktion nehmen" is a wrong translation, not a bad localization - these things are called "false friends" for students of foreign languages

wow... now you are mixing up a lot of stuff... this is not a situation of "false friends", since "take" and "nehmen" do not sound similar the slightest. An example for false frienst would be "sensible" and "sensibel", or (even in the book you quoted yourself) "actual" and "aktuell".
And I hope I don't have to explain the difference between "Bad nehmen" and "Apfel nehmen". They use different semantic meanings of the word "nehmen".
I just don't understand how you "cry" everytime you read "Aktion nehmen" but seem totaly fine with "spend an action"...
But who am I kidding. We're not gonna achieve anything here. Discussions about localization usually lead nowhere.. I'm gonna head out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebiroe wrote:
well, fantasywelt doesnt Have them in stock anymore it seems. Does that mean the first print run is allready sold out?


Ordered a second copy today - looks like Fantasywelt does have it in stock (again?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.