Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Franzosa
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm looking for some suggestions for some games based around the times and places my father spent in in the ETO in WWII. I am more of a casual war-gamer (BattleCry, Twilight Struggle, War of the Ring...) but I occasionally sample some others (COIN series, old AH titles like Gettysburg...). I recently came into some material related to the years may father spent in WWII. He passed away in 1984 and never really talked about those years much. My brother and I have been digging into the history a little bit. We know he served in Company C of the 130th Armored Ordnance Maintenance Battalion of the 8th Armored Division of the US Army. There is a fair amount that google turns up about them. The attached image shows a map of where they were and when. I'd love to find some decent games that actually feature some of the locations in and around the time period that he was there. Any suggestions? Are there Memoir 44 expansions/scenarios that cover any of this? Any help form some deeper experienced wargamers then me would be very welcome.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
zosa wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears your father arrived late in the war, after the Germans had expended the last of their offensive capabilities at the Battle of the Bulge. I don't know of many games that cover this period specifically, the only one I can think of that has 1945 West Front scenarios is Beyond the Rhine, but the OCS system isn't particularly accessible to casual wargamers. What I would recommend instead is getting a West Front ETO game, such as The Mighty Endeavor, that allows you to play from D-Day to the end of the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franzosa
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Molon Labe wrote:
It appears your father arrived late in the war, after the Germans had expended the last of their offensive capabilities at the Battle of the Bulge. I don't know of many games that cover this period specifically, the only one I can think of that has 1945 West Front scenarios is Beyond the Rhine, but the OCS system isn't particularly accessible to casual wargamers. What I would recommend instead is getting a West Front ETO game, such as The Mighty Endeavor, that allows you to play from D-Day to the end of the war.
Thanks! This is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. Yes, my father entered service in 1942 was fortunate in that he spent almost the first three years of his enlistment stateside.

Keep the reccomendations coming...and I dont mind if they are less accessible games.... I am fine digging into a 100-page rule book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Molon Labe wrote:

Good suggestion. Two other suggestions I would make are

Liberty Roads -- D-Day to the conquest of Germany;

and Road to the Rhine -- September to the conquest of Germany, and hence closer to your Dad's time of service. This is an old game but still available at a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
Oh, and this one appropriately has the players competing on logistics with combat as an afterthought: 1944: Race to the Rhine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
Interesting that they were gone a year almost to the day.

A few Geeklists that you should look at:

Games on the End of the Third Reich
Twilight of the gods... or actually Twilight of the nightmare (duplicates)

In a few of those listed, one player is both the Soviets and the Nazis on the western front; the other plays the western Allies and the Nazis in the East! Wargames where you change sides

Check the complexity ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
Interesting that they were gone a year almost to the day.

I think this happened quite a bit, merely for pay purposes. My Dad's papers show he was overseas for exactly one year and one day -- apparently if you were overseas for more than one year, exactly, your mustering out pay and future benefits went up slightly, from what he said in later years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race to the Rhine starts after Paris has fallen and goes til Germany is reached, so v approx the right time.

It might also be a good choice, if you don't mind something less traditionally wargamey, because: a) it's not too heavy; and b)it deals, in a light euro-y way, with the logistics of the 'Race' ie you have to make sure you have enough fuel, food and other supplies/repairs to keep your advance running, or it just grinds to a halt - while also at the same time still fighting the AI/game generated Germans and having to move so as to maintain and protect your supply lines.

My thought was that if your Dad served in a combat support type of role (which most people in a c20th century army did - and I'm sure we are all very thankful for and respectful of their service and sacrifice) - then a game that focuses on keeping the guys at the tip of the spear in action is relevant.

Also it's fun playing the Patton/Montgomery/Bradley rivalry!

Edit: I looked properly at your map/dates and RotR would only be at the very end of the right period at most. But I stick to my point about it's theme being relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franzosa
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
Oh, and this one appropriately has the players competing on logistics with combat as an afterthought: 1944: Race to the Rhine

samwise46 wrote:
My thought was that if your Dad served in a combat support type of role (which most people in a c20th century army did - and I'm sure we are all very thankful for and respectful of their service and sacrifice) - then a game that focuses on keeping the guys at the tip of the spear in action is relevant.
Thanks! Yes, he was a mechanic in support of the tanks in his armored division. Thematically 1944: Race to the Rhine looks great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Looks like they were on the Southern shoulder of the Bulge for the allied counter attacks and the tail end of Third Armies wheel north. Presumably moving into positions to cover the front Third army were vacating.

Crossing the Rhine on 27th March is only four days after the the start of Operation Plunder. He would have heard the planes going over for Operation Varsity on the morning of the 24th March.

Also to note he crossed the Rhine close to Essen - significant for all gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franzosa
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just put my order in for The Mighty Endeavor (2nd ed) and Race to the Rhine. I'll likely check out some of the others too. Many Thanks. This is why I come to boardgamegeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert lindsay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
You might also look up
Breaking into Valhalla: Operations Veritable and Grenade

It has three units representing the 8th Armor and is a small game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Die Ostfront, 1941–1945
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
OCS Beyond the Rhine covers the Western Front after the Normandy Landings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.