The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Campaign Game - AP I (Martijn & Alan) Turn 6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So with half of the first Assault phase done, the Romans would be in a good position to grab the New City. The Judeans had used all reserves for the New City and meanwhile had lost 73 units. Still avaialbe to him, though, were 111 units, of which 64 being usable infantry (no artillery, Garrisons or leaders) - evenly divided in militia 32 and better units 32..
The Romans meanwhile had lost 26 units, worth 146 VP for the Judeans (mainly because of one burning tower and ram).

Here's an overview of the city on the start of the 6th turn:

In the west Psephinus was still holding out, but becoming isolated from the other parts of the city. In the centre the Women's Gate held out as well but would soon be surrounded. The bulk of the Judean forces were going south to the Antonia Fortress..

Time for the Romans to rally and pursue them!
In the northwest 4 units rallied.

In the north one artillery rallied for the very first time this game.. happens to me all the time.

In the northeast my artillery was becoming a bit useless, with all enemies far away. Tried to rally them anyway.

Finally, in the east..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Judeans had only a few shots left.
In the east the 2 militia in the fort tried to take out the ram, to no avail. One small shot on the north wall also missed. Then one big shot at the north wall, which was a kill. Why? Alan wanted that archer to be dead, because if he could should at the two units down the stairs of that bastion next to it, it would give my units a new entry way into the New City AND (more important) a possibility to reach his fleeing troops..

In the north the Judeans weren't very succesful.

Finally one small shot in the west (1/0 clear) missed with a 1.. (No further action here, so no picture this time.. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"of course Martijn has all the luck, but I don't complain". How true of Alan, after his mediocre round of fire, the Romans picked up their killing shots again (Deadeyes!)

Two units killed, two disrupted..

In the north all went well, except one shot. I failed to disrupt the zealot. "The Man who stopped a legion", according to Alan. This zealot stopped all units from going to the Women's gate (on the inside of the city). There was only a 1 in 6 chance and got a 5.. but a miss is a miss.

The last part in the east was a bit curious..
First I didn't use one archer on the wall to take out those militia.. I don't know what happened in my head, but I mixed up the mandatory fire and ZOC rules. I could only DD the units (removing the ZOC), but that wouldn't free the other archer from the mandatory fire.. So one shot wasted, and one militia saved.

What followed was a string of 4 sixes..
After the third, Alan replied "Ok, that's enough".
After the fourth "UNBELIEVABLE!"

Yeah, after so many good rolls, it gets a bit embarrassing. But as Alan stated, his 'fleet' (the cluster of units in the clear) was still in being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next. Roman movement. I decided to try to disrupt Alan's lines of communication in the west by positioning heavy infantry in several Built ups in the city.

Here's the situation before movement:

After movement it looked like this:

Women's gate was being surrounded, albeit not completely.. due to that brave single zealot... The road to the Tyropean was still open for units defending the Women's Gate. North of this gate the ram and AT took up positions for 3 AFs on the gate.. Let's see how long the defenders can last there.

Before movement:

After movement:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Northeast the Romans are closing in on the fleeing Judeans.

After movement it looks like this:

Finally in the east movement was a bit less dramatic. 2 units climbed the wall (not only to attack, but also to mess up the Judean rally of course), a tower and escalade were placed against the underdefended fort, while the ram moved on to the south.

After movement:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melee!
In the west heavy infantry took out 2 militia with ease (autokill, always be on the lookout for those devil). One follow up attack was a bit lucky with a six, killing a zealot. After that, the heavies all entered the built ups. Dislodging heavy infantry from BU's is very hard for the Judean (With a -2 drm and hard to pull off a flank attack), so this created some nice obstacles to prevent Judean units running around.

Around Women's gate two easy kills again (both autokill). The zealot was a calculated loss of Alan. Even with the 7-1/+8 odds, I could only get three extra E's to advance, so the retreat route out of the Women's Gate was still safe. Titus attacked the western bastion of the gate, only achieving a B, which Alan used to pull out the zealot and militia to the south.

After Titus occupied the bastion, a follow up attack on the centre fort was made. But with only minimal forces and a maximum occupied fort the odds were very poor. And the dieroll as well.. See how I almost could have flanked it if only my unit south of the gate could have moved one hex closer. That suicidal zealot to the east had served its purpose well.. "The man that stopped a legion" (for a moment, that is.. but moments are all the Judeans has to think about!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The spell of good fortune the Romans had enjoyed during the fire phase apparently had run out.. the pursuiing units failed to make any real breakthroughs.

The first attack only killed on militia (of 2), so no advance possible. Anything but a 1 would have been a success...
The next two attacks only disrupted one unit each. Alan took the opportunity to retreat the units all the way south, next to Ben Yair.

The last attack accomplished nothing.

Finally, the fortress east of the Antonia was taken with an autokill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Judean turn.
No reserves anymore, these units are all that are left to the Judeans.

The rallies in the west were poor. One regular remained disrupted, a militia routed, despite being stacked with their leader (marked with a crown). See here the value of a unit next to them on the wall for a nice +3 penalty.

South of Women's gate Alan had a bit more success. Two rallies, one no effect.

Near Ben Yair many units had to be rallied. Note how the 2 leaders are placed in the middle of the 'fleet' providing a very high bonus to the rallies. 4 rallied automatically. Only those close to Roman troops were less succesful.

In the south the leader and 2 stacked units rallied. Note that in reality the leader was rallied before all other units.
Here's also another example why I like to move units in the ZOC of disrupted units, or to put some LOF on disrupted units. 2 of them panicked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Roman fire phase in the west went well. One autokill and one disrupt. Of course Alan used the D to get rid of the routing militia.

At Women's gate I finally had one ram and one armored tower together, for 3 AF. Let's see how long that fort will last. The first attack caused already 6 damage.
Firing in the bastion was a faillure. No shots on the fort because of the possibility of errant attacks (with only a small chance on one 'D'). And rightfully so, because would have gotten the 1 that I rolled on the firing on the bastion..

Then, the attack on 'the fleet'.
First two Lucky shots in the built ups in the north took out one militia and one zealot, disrupting another militia.

After that a barrage of fire descended on the retreating fleet. First one big shot took out 2 regulars, enabling other units to fire over them (no mandatory fire anymore). Unfortunately that shot only yielded DD. One other shot killed a militia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judean return fire were only a few shots.

But an example of how dangerous Judean ballistae are.. took out a disrupted unit on range 12.. He had killed a unit in the same way last turn.. I was getting sloppy.

Near Women's gate, only one unit underneath the Titus got hit.

In the east the fleeing regulars did a few parting shots on the units on the wall.. preying on the weakest ones of course..cry

Finally one shot on the unit opposite the Antonia disrupted velitae. Note that the units in the bastion (including a deadly cauldron) can't fire because of the panicking unit there.. whew..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then the great retreat continued. In the east all units streamed south, with panicked units going to the temple and those capable of fighting towards the Tyropean.
Here's an overview:

The bastion on the wall (east) was reinforced, just to hold out one more turn. A rearguard was formed to avoid a Roman pursuit all the way to the better units.
Ben Yair went in the Tyropean city and moved all the way west to help the units over there with Command Control..

This is what the situation looked like after movement:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn vR
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meanwhile in the west, the Judeans strengthened the defenses of the Psephinus itself, abandoning the bastion to the east. More militia were sent out to slow the movement of the ram towards Psephinus itself.

Ben (Lipka) Levi was now in the Psephinus with 7 militia, 1 regular and an assortment of (heavy) artillery. Will he hold out? The closest reinforcements are near the Damascus gate, and heavy infantry is running free in the New City, cutting off roads. Interesting..
After movement:

Finally, north of the Tyropean units were fleeing from the direction of the Women's gate towards the Damascus' gate. (see how Ben Yair moved through the Tyropean to take care of the defenses in the west).

After movement:

Two zealots got stuck in the Women's gate and attempted one melee.. in vain.

That's the end of the 6th turn. One daylight turn remaining. What shall the Romans do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.