Popular Tags: [View All]
Bertrand Furcas
Italy
Serramanna
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, quick question as I can't find an answer anywhere on the FAQ:
About the 2 movement points you can get receiving strain, I'm playing it as you choose to take 1 strain and move 1 space. Then you can choose to take 1 strain and move 1 space again (in different times during the activation too but that's not the poin of the question).

This means you can't take 2 strains at once to move through a figure since you take the bonus movements one at a time. Am I doing it right?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick T
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When you take a strain for movement, you are gaining a movement point. You are not moving.

So, you could take 2 strain for 2 movement points at the beginning of your activation or at any point during your activation (just not in the middle of an action). Then you can use those movement points anyway you see fit...to move 2 spaces and still have 2 actions, to add to movement points gained by a move action, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
FeyrBert wrote:
Hey guys, quick question as I can't find an answer anywhere on the FAQ:
About the 2 movement points you can get receiving strain, I'm playing it as you choose to take 1 strain and move 1 space. Then you can choose to take 1 strain and move 1 space again (in different times during the activation too but that's not the poin of the question).

This means you can't take 2 strains at once to move through a figure since you take the bonus movements one at a time. Am I doing it right?

Thanks in advance!

You don't spend strain to move. You spend strain to get movement points, and you don't necessarily have to spend them immediately after getting them. You can spend strain to get a movement point, then do something else (such as spend one more strain to get another movement point), and then spend however many movement points you have to move.

Edit: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Heitz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you take a strain, you gain a movement point, but can spend that movement point at any time during your activation. Taking a move action works the same way. You gain movement points equal to your Speed value. You then spend those points at any time during your activation.

For example, you can take a move action, gain 4 movement points, then strain twice to gain 2 more for a total of 6. Then you can spend your movement points before and/or after taking a different action.

The short answer to your question is you can strain twice for two movement points so you can move into a space containing a hostile figure, but then you would still need another movement point to move out of that space. You can't end your move on top of a hostile figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quick correction. 1 strain gets you 1 move point, not the ability to move 1 space. It's an important distinction.

As to your question. You can do it any time during your activation. It's not an action, so you don't have to legally end movement before you do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Palmieri
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
This is not right. According to the reference manual, a hero can take one strain to gain one movement point, and then the hero can use that movement point at any time in their turn, and in particular it does not have to be immediately after they gain the strain. For example, they could take one strain to get a movement point, rest to recover all of their strain, take one more strain to get another movement point, then use a move action to gain more movement points. Finally, they could actually move, spending those points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Furcas
Italy
Serramanna
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, it is a movement point and not to move one square. First thing solved thanks guys!

But i thought if you take any movements outside your move action you had to spend those immediately. Or is it only when you get to move outside your activation/only when you get to do stuff like "move x squares"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
FeyrBert wrote:
Right, it is a movement point and not to move one square. First thing solved thanks guys!

But i thought if you take any movements outside your move action you had to spend those immediately. Or is it only when you get to move outside your activation/only when you get to do stuff like "move x squares"?

You always have to "move spaces" immediately. You only have to use MP immediately if they are gained outside of your activation. Remember that when you perform a move, all that happens is that you gain move points. Whether or not you have to use those points immediately depends on if the move is performed during your activation or not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Furcas
Italy
Serramanna
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you sir!
I was hindering myself damn it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be exact, there is one other thing that can make movement immediate, but it doesn't apply here either.

The three conditions that make you immediately spend movement are:
• It is not your activation
• You receive movement spaces instead of movement points
• You receive movement points via a Special action (one with the arrow icon)

If any of the above three apply, you must move immediately or forfeit any remainder. If all three don't happen, you gain movement points into your pool which can be spent at any time during your activation between, before or after actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
msg tools
mbmbmb
I never thought of it this way, but could I take two strain so I can move and still get my two actions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jmdgls wrote:
I never thought of it this way, but could I take two strain so I can move and still get my two actions?

Absolutely. It is a vital strategy to rebel success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could suffer 1 strain for movement point, then Attack (action), recover strain from an unspent surge, spend the movement point, suffer 1 strain for movement point, Attack (action), recover strain from an unspent surge, and spend the last movement point.

There are also abilities like Fenn's Tactical Movement that gives movement points. They go to the movement point pool and can be spent by Fenn before or after actions during his activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.