Subject: Should you keep your grain? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still terrible at this game, but I fear checking out strategy threads. I'd rather keep sucking at it for a while than becoming used to a set strategy. So far I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get the best out of my starting occupation.

Anyway, I landed an occupation that gave me a nice combo: grain turns into cow, cow lets me get a blue thingy and of top of that I trade it for jewels.

"Great! So, where can I get my grain?". I check the board, check the forums... it seems there's only one grain from the harvest unless you get the right occupation cards.

Are you eating your grain Ryan gosling style or keeping it until the endgame? Any other goods that you should be stingy with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
I'm still terrible at this game, but I fear checking out strategy threads. I'd rather keep sucking at it for a while than becoming used to a set strategy. So far I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get the best out of my starting occupation.

Anyway, I landed an occupation that gave me a nice combo: grain turns into cow, cow lets me get a blue thingy and of top of that I trade it for jewels.

"Great! So, where can I get my grain?". I check the board, check the forums... it seems there's only one grain from the harvest unless you get the right occupation cards.

Are you eating your grain Ryan gosling style or keeping it until the endgame? Any other goods that you should be stingy with?

Grain can be turned into a 4-square red tile or a 4-point green/blue tile, so it is a valuable good. I think it is intentional that it is rare, and you only get 3 per game without a special occupation.

*edit* Also, I try to avoid looking at advanced strategy myself! This game has a really rewarding learning curve as you figure out various paths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
[
Grain can be turned into a 4-square red tile or a 4-point green/blue tile, so it is a valuable good. I think it is intentional that it is rare, and you only get 3 per game without a special occupation.

*edit* Also, I try to avoid looking at advanced strategy myself! This game has a really rewarding learning curve as you figure out various paths.

You only get one grain through a normal game if I'm not mistaken. Round 2 harvest. In the harvests that say 1-3 and 1-4 you don't get the goods with a value in between.

Also I just took a sneak peek into some threads here blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you do, 1-4 means al tiles with 1, 2, 3 and 4, same for 1-3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
[

You only get one grain through a normal game if I'm not mistaken. Round 2 harvest. In the harvests that say 1-3 and 1-4 you don't get the goods with a value in between.

Also I just took a sneak peek into some threads here blush

As Jonas said, you get the entire range (1-3 means 1, 2, 3).

Check the "Phase 2: Harvest" section on page 8 of the rules, which describes precisely what you get each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Freya! Thanks guys. Not sure how I let that basic rule slide.

Now this is gonna get a little lesS Agricola with horns for me in the feast stage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on not reading any strategy threads. Ironic, since I do decently long write-ups that explain my strategies - but some players don't get to play as often as I do and might appreciate seeing different approaches.

I have never played a game that offers as much to explore (unexpanded) as this one does. If I were to read any strategy at all on this game, I feel like it would be taking value out of the game for me. The good news for me so far is that I am finding lots of strategies that get me 115-129 points. But my highest score did exploit Refugee Helper for max emigration.

I'm on 27 plays, and hope to tie Agricola around 100 plays sometime next year.

One more thing I do like about this game is that multiplayer and solo strategies are not identical, which means playing 2p doesn't cut too much into my solo exploration of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.