Subject: Just got my copy in the mail and the 1st thing i noticed is.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
A grammatical error on the cover! Am I mistaken or shouldn't it read "A Heroic Adventure..." instead of "An Heroic Adventure..."??? It's small but certainly doesn't instill confidence in the quality of the game... :(
I will try to remain open minded upon my first few playthroughs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I suppose it does say that. It's a very good game with a few a minor errors so don't start off discouraged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not an error, just a style of grammar that some people like, and some don't, when using a wording starting with "H".

"But support for this an is on the wane. Both the Guardian and Telegraph style guides, as well as the Oxford Dictionary, advocate using a when the h is pronounced at all (‘a hotel, a historian’). And etymologist Michael Quinion, himself a self-confessed ‘old-fashioned’ an user, points out younger people’s preference for a.

But fogies with a fondness for an can at least still count on The Times style guide (‘prefer an hotel to a hotel, an historic to a historic, an heroic rather than a heroic’). And Fowler’s Modern English Usage kindly acknowledges that ‘the choice of form remains open’."

http://writing-skills.com/hit-or-myth-use-an-before-h-words
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
sabbat00 wrote:
It is not an error, just a style of grammar that some people like, and some don't, when using a wording starting with "H".

"But support for this an is on the wane. Both the Guardian and Telegraph style guides, as well as the Oxford Dictionary, advocate using a when the h is pronounced at all (‘a hotel, a historian’). And etymologist Michael Quinion, himself a self-confessed ‘old-fashioned’ an user, points out younger people’s preference for a.

But fogies with a fondness for an can at least still count on The Times style guide (‘prefer an hotel to a hotel, an historic to a historic, an heroic rather than a heroic’). And Fowler’s Modern English Usage kindly acknowledges that ‘the choice of form remains open’."

http://writing-skills.com/hit-or-myth-use-an-before-h-words

Thank you this made me feel better! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Skrell wrote:
A grammatical error on the cover! Am I mistaken or shouldn't it read "A Heroic Adventure..." instead of "An Heroic Adventure..."??? It's small but certainly doesn't instill confidence in the quality of the game...
I will try to remain open minded upon my first few playthroughs...

As the other poster pointed out, this isn't a typo. "An" before an H is allowed, even if the H isn't silent, thought it's a little archaic.
We did that intentionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on people, as they would say on "Master Chef," Jeremy is "elevating" the form and function of language in this game

I for like an "n" before my "h"

Less talking, more distributing !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.