Popular Tags: [View All]
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again,
So, Chris and I tried the updated scenario rules for the Battle of Islay, and while the game was short and we did not get into a major battle, I thought it might be good to provide another record of our battle.

For the other AAR, go to this link.

So Chris and I took the same sides again. I was the Chileans and Chris was the Confederates. The set up was significantly different and the victory condition were as well. We felt the Victory Conditions felt more appropriate to the chase scenario.

Each side must at least damage an opposing ship. The Chileans units can leave the board which does not have the "end of the world" condition. The ships must leave one side of the map which feels right given the historical battle. The Chileans do not want to have their ships leave the map. If both sides fulfill their Victory conditions, then the side that does the most Hull and Rigging damage wins.

Our skirmish only lasted three turns. Now luck had a lot to do with the win for my Chileans.

The first turn Valk's Confederates have the initiative, but after that my Chileans had the initiative. I only had to fire two shots (one with my chasers and a stern rake) to make the Fundador strike its colors and have Valk's Confederates Break-Off.

The first three turns Valk's Confederates took shots at my lead ship, the Libertad, doing two Hull hits and Bynnon survived the Leader Loss check. But the Libertad did a major hit on the Fundador which ended the game.

Now, I would say that this system is great when each side has two or three leaders and more than a handful of ships. So, this is not meant to be a deep "meaningful" scenario. I think this scenario is meant to introduce interested gamers to the system.

What I like about this scenario is that it is not just a slugfest. The players really need to consider the maneuverability of their ships and when to fire. I waited to fire (We were using the initial broadsides rule which helped considerably my first shot. . . . Maybe that rule should not be allowed in this scenario?). My first shot did 4H to the Fundador which is a G-rated ship with 4 Hull on its undamaged side and 3 on its damaged side.

One idea we discussed is that Break-off rules are not applied in this scenario. While I think given my first hit the game was most likely over, it might have been fun to continue playing.

Also, Valk's front two higher rated ships turned around and were ready to fire at my approaching ships. I thought about running away from them and trying to survive for 20 turns, which I think would have been possible.

Think that is about it for this report. It will be interesting in my opinion to see how the scenario develops and I am looking forward to playing a new scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
Bloomsbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, William, excellent AAR and analysis. And gameplay. I'll beat you yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.