Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Game Ring, version 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Jordan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I made another game ring, since my first one was too small.

Features include:

Play area is same size as the recommended 3'x3' square
Larger secondary area adding 25% more area
3 or 4 players
Starting planet locations marked on board.
Locations marked for system disks and exploration deck/discard
Slots for all chips and tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
What would really make your project stand out is if you painted it really well.

If you could get creative and pull something "quality" like that off, I think it would put your project into next level category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Jordan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
R2EQ wrote:
What would really make your project stand out is if you painted it really well.

If you could get creative and pull something "quality" like that off, I think it would put your project into next level category.

I'll be coating it in polyurethane as a sealant. This will protect it from warping as well as bring out the wood grain and color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the technical term for this project is "Schweet!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
andyjobo wrote:

I'll be coating it in polyurethane as a sealant. This will protect it from warping as well as bring out the wood grain and color.

That's what, 3/4 ply? I don't think it will warp especially if it's kept in a warm indoor climate.

I suggest not coating it in polyurethane, but painting it first. This is a space game after all, and playing on a space background would be more immersive vs playing on a wooden backdrop, especially if it's just a piece of cheap ply.

If I were you I'd paint the edge ring a different colour and the inner circle black.

You could speckle stars with white/blue/purple paint for an easy outer space finish.

If you try to get creative with spray paint, you could do some nebulae.

It's not as hard as you might think. I've made a few LED light gaming tables and it looks harder to do than it actually is.

You have a good design, but if you push it you could take your project to the next level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teach us! I like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm from Iowa. I work in space."
--James T. Kirk.

cool Its a really nice and unique piece. Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My unartistic first impulse would be to paint it with a space theme, too. But with all the nice routing and dedicated bins and such, keeping it with a nice wood grain would give it more of a Jules Verne vibe. Let the game add the space elements and the board just look like a lovely piece of wood. Classy. Either way would work, I bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
keeping it with a nice wood grain would give it more of a Jules Verne vibe. Let the game add the space elements and the board just look like a lovely piece of wood. Classy. Either way would work, I bet.

Plywood should never be varnished and displayed where you can see the layers. You do that kind of thing with large expensive pieces of wood like mahogany, or less expensive but solid functional pieces like pine.

Plywood is cheap, and when used for display purposes would have a veneer layer, as you would see in cabinets. "end grain" where you can see the ply layers is always covered.

That is another reason to paint it. If you'd like to have a wood finish, ply is the wrong choice. Some solid pine is the best option when it comes to price.

Feel free to ignore what I'm saying, I'm just passing on advice. Some people use ply as a form of revolt to convention, but imho it's not a good choice for something like this where the wood is featured. It's kind of like people who get fashion to such a degree they start wearing "anti-fashion" outfits. I get what they're doing, but most of the time I think they look silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Grish. If you're trying to make something beautiful, I think exposed plywood layers look cheap and lazy, even if they're finished.

That doesn't mean I'm not impressed by the project, and that doesn't mean I wouldn't play on it. I've had fun on ply table covers that aren't even sealed and finished, just have a layer of paint on top. Functional is absolutely a legitimate design goal too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

Feel free to ignore what I'm saying, I'm just passing on advice.

I know zilch about the particulars of making wood look nice (ironic, since I studied some forestry in college, ha), so it's good to know. I'll never do a project like this myself. I wonder if weight would be an issue with the nicer woods?

My suggestion is based on a wood that would look nice with a stain or varnish, I guess. Not necessarily the natural wood grain. I was mainly picturing it as a black and star-speckled piece vs a nice deep brown wood finish. And in this rare case, I think the wood might look nicer without a lot of added details. Something like a playmat (which is what I'll probably go for--a circular one) will almost definitely have a starfield on it to dress it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.