Derek Sorensen
United Kingdom
Millom
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After our third game (two players, each playing one character) we can't see how this game can possibly be winnable. Do we need to play multiple characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Probably would be better using 4 Characters.
The game is indeed rather hard with lower Character counts.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't kept records or anything, but I'd estimate 1 game in 4 is a win with 2 players, at least playing with if anybody dies, it's over. Solitaire was impossible until I decided one turn I was the leader, the next I wasn't. Having to play every single event card is just brutal.

That's actually the key: With more players, a greater fraction of the event cards can be discarded, so you can "pick your poison" more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Sorensen
United Kingdom
Millom
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt and Brian, much appreciated. The idea of diluting the leader's two cards is illuminating. We'll give it a try with more characters and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
OldPhartWargamer wrote:
I haven't kept records or anything, but I'd estimate 1 game in 4 is a win with 2 players, at least playing with if anybody dies, it's over. Solitaire was impossible until I decided one turn I was the leader, the next I wasn't. Having to play every single event card is just brutal.

That's actually the key: With more players, a greater fraction of the event cards can be discarded, so you can "pick your poison" more easily.

Later printings of the game fixed the solo rules to say that if there are 5 or fewer Walkers in play, you play both cards. Otherwise, you play just one.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Sorensen
United Kingdom
Millom
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some quick feedback: we tried again this evening with two characters each, and the game certainly seems much more winnable. We ended the game early as my wife was tired after a long day, and after 90 minutes was getting quite befuddled, but although we didn't expect to win had we continued, we could certainly see how winning was at least possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.