$35.00
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They maintained a publicly available document on the internet rating female soccer players for sexual positions. After being caught and warned, they continued the practice.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/17965882/harva...

Quote:
Rakesh Khurana, the dean of Harvard, released a statement Thursday evening saying he was "saddened and disappointed to learn that the extremely offensive 'scouting report' produced by the 2012 men's soccer team continued through the current season."

The document rated the attractiveness of recruits on the women's team and included lewd comments about them. Members of the men's team called it their "scouting report" and circulated it online.

Faust said the review is separate from any action by the school's Title IX office, which investigates complaints of sexual assault and harassment.

Earlier this week, members of the women's team wrote a letter in the Crimson criticizing the document, saying they were "appalled that female athletes who are told to feel empowered and proud of their abilities are so regularly reduced to a physical appearance." The letter also expressed hope that the report would "lead to productive conversation and action on Harvard's campus, within collegiate athletic teams across the country, and into the locker room that is our world."

The men's team is in first place in the Ivy League. It will forfeit its remaining games and decline any opportunity for postseason play. A win against Columbia on Saturday would have clinched an automatic NCAA bid for Harvard.

TYT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, the old "locker room talk."

You'd think they would have learned their lesson after getting caught (and punished) four years ago. Maybe now they'll think twice before doing it again.

Reading the comments in that article is interesting, though: apparently this incident proves 1) the infestation of Marxism in American colleges, 2) the emasculation of men in society, and 3) the end of the strength and power of the USA. It's so sad. I mean, they can't even grab her in the pussy anymore!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Smart enough to get into Harvard, too stupid to take the second chance they were offered and cut out the practice of committing locker room talk about their fellow athletes to a traceable format...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If sexism and/or stupidity was a reason to dismantle teams, soccer would be dead by now ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good on the administration for the punishment. They should be held to a higher standard than that. Ivy League. Although to be clear, I think any school would be right in enforcing such a response.

Sport is an extra-curricular activity, and when teams/players misbehave, then sport is taken away. Fair enough. For many players, sport is more important than academics, and this (taking away their right to play, even if temporary) is the only way to get through to them.

This is exactly why one particular presidential candidate's behavior towards and remarks regarding women is so relevant to the future of our country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
If sexism and/or stupidity was a reason to dismantle teams, soccer would be dead by now ...

It is a reason, people are just greedier than they are ethical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The team didn’t publish the report or publicly humiliate the girls. It could be argued what they did was probably in poor taste. Sure. I guess. But, people rate other people sexually all the time. Every single person in RSP has done it.

Also, judging on physical attraction is kind scientific. Ever hear of Darwin? Natural selection dictates that we seek out the best mate. Good looks are a sign of fertility and health. Rating a woman based on her looks isn’t “sexist.” It’s evolution, why do you hate science ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
The team didn’t publish the report or publicly humiliate the girls. It could be argued what they did was probably in poor taste. Sure. I guess. But, people rate other people sexually all the time. Every single person in RSP has done it.

Also, judging on physical attraction is kind scientific. Ever hear of Darwin? Natural selection dictates that we seek out the best mate. Good looks are a sign of fertility and health. Rating a woman based on her looks isn’t “sexist.” It’s evolution, why do you hate science ?

jeremy.. they got busted and told not to do it once already. They did it AGAIN in a publicly searchable and visible document shared between the entire team on google docs.

Besides, would you like to see a picture of your daughter and next to it comments by the soccer team saying she was cock hungry and probably loved rough sex on TV?

The repeat behavior is evidence of stupidity and arrogance. A comment to a friend (between men or between women or between buds) isn't the same as taking pictures, making a shared document after being busted for doing so before, and writing down sex positions and sexual practices the girls like or that the guys would like to think they like.

---

I don't get the weird link between conservatives who should respect women and acceptence (even approval) of open misogyny and sexist behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
"I don't get the weird link between conservatives who should respect women and acceptence (even approval) of open misogyny and sexist behavior."

I don't have a dog in this fight (don't care about soccer, Harvard, who was harmed, who wasn't, whether it was justified, or not, etc etc).

But wasn't it a private (albeit poorly secured) joke between a bunch of friends? In other words, not 'open' by any reasonable definition of the term? So there is no link between conservatives who should respect women and approval of open misogyny and sexist behavior. There was no open misogyny and sexist behavior to begin with.

"They did it AGAIN in a publicly searchable and visible document shared between the entire team on google docs."

I'm not sure what you are saying. Was the document publicly searchable (i.e. you or I could have found it while surfing the internet and seen it), or simply searchable by a defined group who have access to the particular google docs folder? One would be a publicly searchable document, the other is not.

"Besides, would you like to see a picture of your daughter and next to it comments by the soccer team saying she was cock hungry and probably loved rough sex on TV?"

Really? A tv station broadcast a picture of one of the female soccer players and said that the team said that she was cock hungry and liked rough sex? I find that hard to believe.

You may have a point, and I may even agree with you. But your description of the situation strikes me as pretty far off base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDawg wrote:
"I don't get the weird link between conservatives who should respect women and acceptence (even approval) of open misogyny and sexist behavior."

I don't have a dog in this fight (don't care about soccer, Harvard, who was harmed, who wasn't, whether it was justified, or not, etc etc).

But wasn't it a private (albeit poorly secured) joke between a bunch of friends? In other words, not 'open' by any reasonable definition of the term? So there is no link between conservatives who should respect women and approval of open misogyny and sexist behavior. There was no open misogyny and sexist behavior to begin with.

"They did it AGAIN in a publicly searchable and visible document shared between the entire team on google docs."

I'm not sure what you are saying. Was the document publicly searchable (i.e. you or I could have found it while surfing the internet and seen it), or simply searchable by a defined group who have access to the particular google docs folder? One would be a publicly searchable document, the other is not.

"Besides, would you like to see a picture of your daughter and next to it comments by the soccer team saying she was cock hungry and probably loved rough sex on TV?"

Really? A tv station broadcast a picture of one of the female soccer players and said that the team said that she was cock hungry and liked rough sex? I find that hard to believe.

You may have a point, and I may even agree with you. But your description of the situation strikes me as pretty far off base.

I didn't say a tv station broadcast it- I was asking how he would feel to TRY and push his fucking empathy button to cast it in some kind of personal terms he might understand. The risk that it could have gone viral however was pretty high. Reports say the document was publicly available and not limited to a private group. For example, you could have pulled it up when searching for harvard soccer team ratings (innocent enough, right?) Perhaps more stupidity and ignorance on their part of how to set up privacy settings.

The link I was referring to is the consistent way conservatives and republican representatives here, elsewhere, and from the RNC, leap to the side of the sexual assaulter, shaming the women, saying the women are lying, saying that rape really isn't that bad, etc. etc. On the one hand love and sex are sacred! and on the other women are just ho's. It's crazy. But religion is involved so that kinda makes sense. The same female is madonna and whore at the same time that she's also eve.

I don't care to relink the huge infographics showing dozens of republicans saying rape's okay or the lists of republicans saying sexual assault isn't that bad again. If you don't believe it, don't believe it.
The idiots will still be banned from playing soccer.

Perhaps you should write a sternly worded letter to Harvard or perhaps to Kelsey, Brooke, Alika, Emily, Lauren, and Haley.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2016/10/29/oped-soccer-rep...
Quote:

Stronger Together
By Kelsey Clayman, Brooke Dickens, Alika Keene, Emily Mosbacher, Lauren Varela, and Haley Washburn October 29, 2016

On Monday, October 24, The Crimson published a story detailing a “scouting report” written by members of the 2012 men’s soccer team regarding incoming female recruits on the women’s soccer team.

We are these women, we are not anonymous, and rather than having our comments taken, spun, and published behind the guise of a fake anonymity offered to us by numerous news outlets, we have decided to speak for ourselves.

When first notified of this “scouting report” each of us responded with surprise and confusion, but ultimately brushed off the news as if it didn’t really matter. As if we weren’t surprised men had spoken of us inappropriately. As if this kind of thing was just, “normal.”

The sad reality is that we have come to expect this kind of behavior from so many men, that it is so “normal” to us we often decide it is not worth our time or effort to dwell on. Yet as the media has taken advantage of the Harvard name once more, it has become increasingly difficult to evade the pervasiveness of this story, harder still to elude the abhorrent judgment of our peers and the outrageous Internet commentary of the public, and hardest to subdue the embarrassment, disgust, and pain we feel as a result.

In all, we do not pity ourselves, nor do we ache most because of the personal nature of this attack. More than anything, we are frustrated that this is a reality that all women have faced in the past and will continue to face throughout their lives. We feel hopeless because men who are supposed to be our brothers degrade us like this. We are appalled that female athletes who are told to feel empowered and proud of their abilities are so regularly reduced to a physical appearance. We are distraught that mothers having daughters almost a half century after getting equal rights have to worry about men's entitlement to bodies that aren't theirs. We are concerned for the future, because we know that the only way we can truly move past this culture is for the very men who perpetrate it to stop it in its tracks.

Having considered members of this team our close friends for the past four years, we are beyond hurt to realize these individuals could encourage, silently observe, or participate in this kind of behavior, and for more than four years have neglected to apologize until this week.

We have seen the “scouting report” in its entirety. We know the fullest extent of its contents: the descriptions of our bodies, the numbers we were each assigned, and the comparison to each other and recruits in classes before us. This document attempts to pit us against one another, as if the judgment of a few men is sufficient to determine our worth. But, men, we know better than that. Eighteen years of soccer taught us that. Eighteen years—as successful, powerful, and undeniably brilliant female athletes - taught us that.

We know what it’s like to get knocked down. To lose a few battles. To sweat, to cry, to bleed. To fight so hard, yet no matter what we do, the game is still out of our hands. And, even still, we keep fighting; for ourselves, yes, but above all for our teammates. This document might have stung any other group of women you chose to target, but not us. We know as teammates that we rise to the occasion, that we are stronger together, and that we will not tolerate anything less than respect for women that we care for more than ourselves.

While at Harvard, our coaches taught us that the only thing we can control in life is ourselves—our own attitude and effort—ultimately, our own actions and our own words. The actions and words displayed by members of the 2012 men’s soccer team have deeply hurt us. They were careless, disgusting, and appalling, but an aberrant display of misogyny such as this does not reflect the type of environment Harvard Athletics cultivates. Harvard Athletics, specifically Harvard Women’s Soccer, succeeds because despite any atmosphere of competition, we know how to be a team—to lift each other up and bring out the best in those around us to achieve our goals. With these recent events, we have seen this firsthand through our support for and empathy of one another above ourselves.

“Locker room talk” is not an excuse because this is not limited to athletic teams. The whole world is the locker room. Yet in it we feel blessed to know many men who do not and would never participate in this behavior out of respect for us—out of respect for women. To them we are grateful, and with them we strive to share a mutual respect through our own actions and words.

As women of Harvard Soccer and of the world, we want to take this experience as an opportunity to encourage our fellow women to band together in combatting this type of behavior, because we are a team and we are stronger when we are united.

To the men of Harvard soccer and to the men of the world, we invite you to join us, because ultimately we are all members of the same team. We are human beings and we should be treated with dignity. We want your help in combatting this. We need your help in preventing this. We cannot change the past, but we are asking you to help us now and in the future.

We are hopeful that the release of this report will lead to productive conversation and action on Harvard’s campus, within collegiate athletic teams across the country, and into the locker room that is our world. But ultimately, we hope this will catalyze the cultivation of an environment and a culture that strives to lift up all of its members.

Finally, to the men of Harvard Soccer and any future men who may lay claim to our bodies and choose to objectify us as sexual objects, in the words of one of us, we say together: “I can offer you my forgiveness, which is—and forever will be—the only part of me that you can ever claim as yours.”

Brooke Dickens '16, Kelsey Clayman ’16, Alika Keene '16, Emily Mosbacher '16, Lauren Varela '16, and Haley Washburn '16 are the six members of the Harvard Women’s Soccer recruiting class of 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
" fucking empathy button"

How is the 'fucking' empathy button different from a (non-fucking) empathy button?

"The link I was referring to is the consistent way conservatives and republican representatives here, elsewhere, and from the RNC, leap to the side of the sexual assaulter, shaming the women, saying the women are lying, saying that rape really isn't that bad, etc. etc."

Now you're just being silly.

" But religion is involved so that kinda makes sense."

And intolerant.

"I don't care to relink the huge infographics showing dozens of republicans saying rape's okay"

Oops. Just being silly again.

And you're on team geek?

Wow. I stumbled into the RSP forum just to kill time, for the first time tonight. Was that ever a mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDawg wrote:
" fucking empathy button"

How is the 'fucking' empathy button different from a (non-fucking) empathy button?

"The link I was referring to is the consistent way conservatives and republican representatives here, elsewhere, and from the RNC, leap to the side of the sexual assaulter, shaming the women, saying the women are lying, saying that rape really isn't that bad, etc. etc."

" But religion is involved so that kinda makes sense."

And intolerant.

"I don't care to relink the huge infographics showing dozens of republicans saying rape's okay"

Oops. Just being silly again.

And you're on team geek?

Wow. I stumbled into the RSP forum just to kill time, for the first time tonight. Was that ever a mistake.

If you come back please utilize the quote feature. {Q} and {/q} with brackets instead of parenthesis. It makes your posts clearer. In other words:

Quote:
Have some fucking empathy for your readers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
~"She 'entreats' "objections" as Mans`plains!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDawg wrote:
Mac wrote:

The link I was referring to is the consistent way conservatives and republican representatives here, elsewhere, and from the RNC, leap to the side of the sexual assaulter, shaming the women, saying the women are lying, saying that rape really isn't that bad, etc. etc.

Wow. I stumbled into the RSP forum just to kill time, for the first time tonight.

Perhaps you should try another first: reading a newspaper. You'll see decades of instances of conservatives proving Mac's assertion correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You just reminded 'moi' of a Book-(several?) written by Women with one called: "The Rules"; wherein these 'promulgate' THEIR various vapid vagaries relating upon their skewered perception of HOW 'relations' should proceed. Anybody ELSE "crazy enough" to have 'read' these then? surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Agreed. Third-wave feminism is off the chain lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
Agreed. Third-wave feminism is off the chain lately.
She has some "valid complaints" of 'mistreatment' in regards with "objectifying"-'traits' JUST as does us hetero=GUYS about theirs too, Buddy! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
No excuse for any of this, but ....

Even at Harvard, jocks are stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

I don't get the weird link between conservatives who should respect women and acceptence (even approval) of open misogyny and sexist behavior.

In this case, it's pretty clear that they were stupid for continuing the practice after being warned and the punishment fits. I am not sure I'd have approved of this punishment on the first offense.

But I'd like to address your quoted aside.

My take is people should be able to say whatever they want. Accepting that premise is entirely different than accepting, let alone approving, the message sent with that freedom.

I do have concern with sanctions for private conversations. Being able to find it on the internet is different than being published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
remorseless1 wrote:
No excuse for any of this, but ....

Even at Harvard, jocks are stupid.
So, a 'Frat' for TRUMP voter, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
What is this game called "soccor"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
At 'Uni', then if these wanted "Jacuzzi" they had to *fart* in their 'bathtubs'! gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
This is exactly why one particular presidential candidate's behavior towards and remarks regarding women is so relevant to the future of our country.

But this shit was going on well before Hillary Clinton was running for President, so why is her reprehensible behavior towards women relevant in this case?

Just to be clear, the Harvard soccer team is full of a group of wankers, but their behavior and the current presidential campaign are not really related. Thanks for trying to find what isn't there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

It's like borsketball but without as much butt-patting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

It's like borsketball but without as much butt-patting.

But...I like butt patting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.