Subject: Splitting hairs on terminology... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Londe
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
One big disadvantage on playing games with scientists, engineers, and IT people... our ability to over-analyze and split hairs on terminology and rules is truly unmatched, and extremely frustrating. My gaming group was playing Betrayal the other night, and we had a couple disagreements on terminology and rules that I'm hoping I can get some clarification on before the next play-through.

First, is there a difference between "Once per turn" and "Once on your turn"? There are omens and items that use each of these turns, and we had a bit of a disagreement on the application of that. I've always treated "Once per turn" and "Once on your turn" as the same thing. In fact, I would always assume that items and omens couldn't be used outside of your turn unless they explicitly said that you can use them at any time. However, a couple members of my group argued that "Once per turn" implied that it could potentially be used once during everybody's turn. We ended up playing the second way, but I'm still not convinced that it is correct. Any thoughts on it?

The second question is about "trait rolls". I had always treated trait rolls and combat rolls as two entirely separate things. I assumed a trait roll was for if a card or a Haunt event called for you to roll on a trait to beat a number, and that it didn't include combat. There was some debate on this one in our group as well (though fortunately, it was less about two sides being sure their way was right and more just general confusion on if there's a difference). So, simply put... does attacking/defending count as a trait roll, or are they entirely different from standard trait rolls?

Thanks for any help you can provide in clearing these up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a FAQ for this game that I think covers this. I downloaded it ages ago, but a web search should find it. This for first edition, but I suspect it's the same for second edition.

FAQ BHotH wrote:
Q. Can you use an item card outside of your turn (for instance, when you were attacked)?

A. The only items you could use outside your own turn are the Angel Feather, the Lucky Stone, and the omen Skull.

FAQ BHotH wrote:
Q. If there are five heroes and a monster in a room, could each of them use, say, the Spear to attack that monster, then pass it on to the next person?

A. No. Add this rule: "For each item, during a turn an explorer or monster that can carry items may only perform one of the following actions: use the item, give the item to another explorer, drop the item, steal the item, or pick up the item. Using the item means making any attack or roll or other action in which the item is involved in any way."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Morrow
msg tools
We had a similar experience and had to establish some house rules.

The whole "Once per turn" vs "Once per your turn" seemed obviously the same to me, too, but it caused a whole lot of arguing and things got chippy during our first game. My argument is that if either the traitor or the heroes get to do something on every player's turn, it gives them too much of an advantage.

For our particular haunt, the traitor was arguing for using her ability on everyone's turn, but would have made her waaaaay too powerful. She finally agreed to just her turn and ended up wiping the floor with us anyway, but then she saw just how unfair it would have been the other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.