Caylus» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Another close game of Caylus... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the same players as last time: John, Mike, and me.

(read my last session report for how that game went)

During the course of our last game, noone took advantage of the PRestige track on the Favors board. Seeing as how I maxed out the Denier track and received the maximum several times, I thought it might be worthwhile to devote some favors to the PRestige track. It was.

I went into the game thinking to focus on clothe. THis would help me get favors and allow me to take advantage of the building that converts clothe to prestige points. Mike seemed intent on accumlating as much gold as possible for conversion at the end game. We asked JOhn what his strategy was and he replied that his strat was to respond to our strats as best as possible. Fair enough...

THe game proceeded as usual; Nike and John were quick out of the gates while my prestige points lagged way behind as I slowly set up my master plan. John got an early lead by with some quick batches and a few big ticket wood buildings. Mike worked his usual tactic of building lots of buildings. I lagged behind.

MY plan started to come to fruition last in the second phase. MOre than any other player, I was able to take advantage of the Favor tracks with help from the Jousting field and builds in the castle. I caught up and had a slight lead after scoring the second phase.

THings then get really interesting. Both John and and I were jockeying for control of the Tower section, while Mike kept buying and mining gold, making the two of us quite worried that he might pull off a surprise win when it came time to convert it all. Feeling confident, Mike raced the Provost forward, hoping for a quick victory.

On the last turn, I found myself in a bit of pickle. MY goal was to send my first worker to the castle in hopes of getting the best builder there, and then to take the building that would allow me to convert three clothe to prestige. To my suprise, John placed 2 workers at the castle behind mine, meaning I needed to make a choice: either go for the direct prestige with the clothe, or use it as part of a second batch and place a second worker at the castle. The former would give me a prestige bonus of 6, while the latter would give me the best worker bonus rather than John. After some quick calculations, I figure the latter was the way to go.

We scored the castle; I got the best worker bonus... more prestige. We then went to final game scoring. I got two more favors, as did John. After all was done, I finished with 68 and John had 61. Mike had 8 gold pieces for conversion, but the prestige he got from them just wasn't enough for the win; he finished with 60 points.

ONce again, we all found ourselves in a good game. I'm really enjoying Caylus.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Mangiarano
Italy
Castellana Grotte
(BA)
flag msg tools
Use the force
badge
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you're missing something but at castle you can send only one worker per turn with which you can make multiple contributions.

Bye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im not sure you can put two workers of the same color in the castle in the same round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We made this mistake my first game, and had it pointed out the second with players who'd played before. A single worker in the castle can contribute any number of batches.

This opens up some interesting possibilities. If the person behind you can build two, you need to build two to guarantee that you get the favor. This means they can then build only one and save resources for the next round.

Also, if you know your going to build four batches you can hold off on putting your worker there, since you can build last and still get the favor. Unless someone else has four batches, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Demo_Boy wrote:
Im not sure you can put two workers of the same color in the castle in the same round.

You cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the correction.

MNy first response to seeing 4 respsonses to my session report was that other gamers were praising me on my clever play. I should have figured it was because we scrwed up

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls