Hide
7 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Cubes paint rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Istvan Fazakas
msg tools
Cubes paint already tearing off. Dissapointed by the quality.And this only after 2 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
As has been answered many times, the corners of the metallic cubes are chipped because of how they are made, it's part of the casting of the metallic surface on the plastic cubes within. Or is the whole sides falling off for you? Then you should make a claim to the publisher, because then your cubes is faulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gringe Commander
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
noticed the same, after 3 games. During play I got little bits of metalcolor on my fingers. Now, after some more games, lots of edges are no longer shiny.
Claiming that the casting is supposed to look chipped sounds stupid. They could have used solid metal colored material, so its not just thin layer of paint.
btw: the cubes are nice, but a thicker playerboard with dials would be even nicer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
GringeCommander wrote:
They could have used solid metal colored material, so its not just thin layer of paint.

It's not paint; they actually electroplated metal onto plastic which is why the coating doesn't bind all that well, as getting metal to electroplate to plastic isn't a very easy/reliable task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One corner of every cube lacks the metallic shininess due to the production process of getting metallic colour onto plastic cubes. It's a pity as it's a small blemish on each cube, but it's unavoidable unless you make them from actual metal (which of course would weigh a ton and cost a ton).

Now that paint-less corner can be a starting point for some more paint to come off. I'm not noticing anything of the sort on my cubes so far, tho.

I have noticed that on some cubes, the metallic paint seems to be applied not quite as evenly as on others - but I only notice when I really scrutinize them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
As has been answered many times, the corners of the metallic cubes are chipped because of how they are made, it's part of the casting of the metallic surface on the plastic cubes within. Or is the whole sides falling off for you? Then you should make a claim to the publisher, because then your cubes is faulty.

On mine, although it's mostly the corner problem, I've got some cubes where whole sides are coming away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
I don't want the world; I just want your half.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the cards and tokens, I'm disappointed with the quality of all other aspects of his game and would have expected better from Stonghold.

The player boards are flimsy card stock, not chipboard.

The insert is thin, and although not important, mine was torn and crushed in multiple spots likely from the components within flying all over the place in transport.

The rule book is smaller than 8.5 x 11 although the box would fit a full sized sheet. This isn't an issue for most of the rules except for the important spots where the rules tell you to look at one of the pictured cards as an example - expecting you to easily read 4pt text on the example cards printed therein.

The box quality is sub-par. I expect in this day and age for the boxes to at least he sturdy enough to where some minimal hand pressure gets some resistance back from the box; not here. The weight of the chipboard is obviously less than what I'd consider quality. I certainly wouldn't risk putting another box on top of this game. Mine arrived well dented on the back which is not a shock as I presume this box wouldn't stand a chance against packing peanuts or bubble wrap.

As mentioned in the original post - the cubes and chipping...oh the chipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.