T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: Will you like T.I.M.E Stories? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mud Tusk
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could tell from the game's description that I was going to be a fan of this game. But I had very different experiences of playing the Asylum scenario with different people.

The first group I payed this with the game really fell flat. From 10 minutes in I could tell they were losing interest fast. When the first run ended they were very reluctant to attempt a second. There was one other chap it clicked with so we pushed for a second run but it was basically me and him. We'd lost the others. I was disappointed, I thought the elements worked well. But that's life.

The second group absolutely loved it. As soon as the first run ended we reset and tore through the locations. The final puzzle proved very satisfying. Each of us had noticed something the others had missed and it truly felt like an adventure.

So what did I learn?

Time Stories is not for everyone. No game is. So who will it appeal to? Well, if you love stories you will love this. If you love exploring and mystery you will love this.

The closest game that I can think of is Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. If you liked that there is a strong possibility you will be a Time Stories fan.

I have read the criticisms of certain aspects of the game and they'really quite valid...if those aspects are important to you. They just don't matter to me because of the enjoyment I had playing it with a group of players who could appreciate it.

So what about those criticisms?
The main criticism seems to be how the TU limit and recursive runs mechanics feels forced or unnecessary, even laborious. It's true that the Asylum doesn't incorporate those mechanics as fully as might be hoped, on reflection. But personally, I didn't even think about that until I read those thoughts on this forum, it certainly didn't detract from my experience. But I would hope that in future stories these elements are made more intrinsic to the play. I already have ideas about how this could be done and may write a fan expansion.

Non-replayability. Its true. Like Sherlock, once you've done a story, it's done. Does this matter to you?
Price. Unlike Sherlock where you get perhaps 8 cases, here you get one story. But the games are implemented in such vastly different ways that it's not possible to equate them on those terms. In the end you pays yer money and you takes yer choc-ice. Is it worth it? For me, obviously yes. Only you can decide.
As for me I can't wait to play the Marcy Case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Kirksey
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to come back and post your thoughts after playing The Marcy Case. I'd be curious to see how your opinion develops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sibo
Australia
flag msg tools
Or after Phrophecy of Dragons...OMG that was such a good game. After each one I think wow that was really fun and I don't think they can top it and then I play it and are blown away by the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would agree that the game is not for everyone as you want to be interested in the mystery element and solving things e.g. reading text on cards and etc. I find the whole deck exploration mechanism very cool.

For myself, I was totally hooked and I am a big fan of it where I have acted as almost like a GM to show rookies how the mechanics work in Asylum base game (I've done the base game like 3 complete runs now!). I have gone on to play Marcy and Prophecy - I don't want to give away too much but both are amazing. Our group is eagerly waiting to play Under the Mask!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.