55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

SeaFall» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Spoiler Free Meta-Review of Seafall rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Scott
msg tools
After receiving our preorder from Plaid Hat, my wife and 3 other friends of ours have sat down and played the prologue and 3 'real' games of this.

Now, spoiler alert , I absolutely love this game. It might be my game of the year. Yet here I am reading and watching reviews from reviewers I know and love, reviewers I usually agree with, and they all seem to hate it. Which begs the question...

Why is that?

Theory 1: Expectations

Unless you are a real causal gamer or somebody who only just stumbled into this hobby, chances are you were inundated with the buzz behind this game. There were articles from all sorts of sources - especially from sources that don't normally cover board games - speaking glowingly about Designer Rob Daviau and his new curiosity.

If you read between the lines, most of these articles didn't actually have any real information about Seafall itself though. Instead they were usually written as an excuse to salivate all over his last game, Pandemic: Legacy.

It should go without saying, but I'm saying it anyway: Seafall is not Pandemic: Legacy.

P:L is one of the best games of all time, and for good reason. It combines the great mechanics of the easy to play, cooperative, Pandemic with the storytelling and suspense, driven by Legacy styling. Pandemic by itself is one of the best, easiest to learn, quickest playing co-ops ever designed and is a hall of fame without the Legacy stuff.

Seafall, without the Legacy stuff, would be a terrible game. It isn't quick, it is a pain in the butt to teach, it is a long game. Furthermore, it is also not a good euro pick-up and deliver game. Not a good 4X style game. Not a good dice chucking game. Not a good roleplaying lite game...

It is however a great Legacy game. Which leads me to...

Theory 2: Reviewers are fundamentally going to be unable to love what this game is.

Professional reviewers, like Dice Tower and SU&SD, have to play through a TON of games. They don't play games just for fun like most people, it is their day job. They have to play a game a couple of times, write down their thoughts, refine those thoughts into an article and/or script for a video, publish their work, rinse, & repeat. Oh what a life, I imagine, playing and talking about games for a living. The thing is, they have to keep producing content so they keep pushing on - playing ever more games. I imagine that it makes the whole experience kind of disposable - playing most games once or twice and then moving on without ever playing or thinking about it ever again.

The thing is, ironically, Seafall is the least disposable game I have ever played.

I have something close to 70 games in my collection, not including future kickstarters or other games that I have on my Christmas List. Most of them I love dearly, and most of them I hardly ever play. Between working jobs where I don't play board games, and pursuing other interests, I find we don't have enough time to play all of the games we want to play. I have games that I got as birthday gifts that I haven't even opened yet. Many of my games I've only manage to play once or twice this year, and I truthfully forget about them when I'm not walking by my game shelf. Seafall though has invaded my head, grabbed me by the brain and wont let go.

Because it is a Legacy game, you get more from playing it more, same as in P:L. So we set up dates and times to all get together and play another game or two.

In the space between those get-togethers, all I do is think Seafall. I think about what milestones I should go for next time. What the best sequencing of actions I could take to accomplish those goals. What kind of advisors I should target early on to advance my goals, and how I should pay for them. What contingency plans I should enact when my opponents mess up my plans or are going for them themselves. It is like spending two weeks formulating a chess opening from scratch for yourself. The closest comparison I can come up with are CCG's and LCG's and the drive to constantly create and tinker with your decks.

I've never experienced something like this with any other board game, not even P:L, and I think due to the nature of churning through games for a living it would be completely lost in a professional review.

When I hear Tom Vassel talk about how he had to remember what he was doing in between game sessions and figure out what to do next, that was not my experience by a longshot.

Theory 3: Time & Space

Now if you read my previous theory, you might have said to yourself "Hey, these guys sit somewhere between like & love for LCG's!" you are correct. But the same way that this isn't a good pick-up and deliver game and so on, this is also a terrible LCG. LCG's are usually much quicker to play. You can fill a small gap in your schedule by playing one with a friend. You can go to meet-ups and tournaments and play a few quick rounds with strangers with strange ideas. You can play it as your schedule allows.

Seafall is a big box game, with big box ideas. You play it on a big table at a preset time with the same people. Also the game, from a certain point of view, is the LONGEST GAME OF ALL TIME. You see unlike in Risk where whomever 'won the game' is all that matters in between playing sessions, you keep a running score by adding up the total of all the games. This makes it kind of like a trick taking card game, only instead of each round being about 10 minutes - they are full 3+ hour games within themselves. So a full campaign is, if you play about 15 games worth, about 45 hours.

This makes it incredibly hard to do things like playtest it and review it. Even when opening everything up and reading everything, you would lose the experience. I'd think most people here have had it where you have read the rules and know what is going on, but the experience of the actual game and how everything comes together still winds up surprising you.

Also, this game is asymmetrical. Through the choices you make in the Captain's Booke and the upgrades you make, you will be better at some actions than others. Also, as the Dice Tower mentioned, some actions are more lucrative at certain points in the game. This makes for a much more interesting game IMO.

For a spoiler free example, through my choices I've become a much better raider than my opponents. Right now though, it seems through a combination of factors that it might be easier to win the next game if I had chosen a different path. For the past week I have been wondering if A)This game is truly balanced and at some point my abilities will help me more in a future session and B)Is it a sign of things to come and I would score more points overall if I were to switch my strategy to something like exploring, or economics, or whatever. This leads to a question I have been pondering since basically game 1 - Should I keep specializing in what I'm already good at, or should I try to become more broad in my strategy? There will probably be an answer before the end of the campaign, but I have no idea right now and that is fascinating to me.

Finally, this is the best value I've gotten in a game in a long time. The amount of time I've spent thinking and playing this game vs the price point has been very favorable to me. If in 20 hours of playing it after thinking about it another 20 hours I find that I've made the wrong choices and there is no way for me to catch up and win the game, that is fine for $60. I've spent more on games I've played for 6 hours total before getting rid of them. There are games I've purported to 'love' that I haven't thought about as half as much as this game.

TL-DR

In summery, I think Seafall is a great experimental and epic game unlike anything else out there. It's scope and the fact that a great deal of the fun I've had has existed in the hours between game sessions, are what I think make it hard for game reviewers to appreciate what it has to offer.

This game doesn't have the best mechanics or rule explanations, and probably isn't one of the best designed games ever made. If you try not to let that bother you though, you might find you will enjoy it, despite what some others have said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're missing the theory that you've played less than 1/3rd of the game and the reviewers do know what they are talking about. I was still pretty enthusiastic about it after 3 games too.

bodybagsteven wrote:
They don't play games just for fun like most people
I think you are flat wrong on this theory about reviewers being skewed by investment in the game. Tom Vasel loves Descent and they just played hours and hours of TI3 a few days ago. They play those long games because they enjoy the mechanics of them and look forward to playing them again and again. When they went back to play Seafall each time they didn't.

Nobody said you can't like it, but I'm not so sure you do:
bodybagsteven wrote:
Seafall, without the Legacy stuff, would be a terrible game. It isn't quick, it is a pain in the butt to teach, it is a long game. Furthermore, it is also not a good euro pick-up and deliver game. Not a good 4X style game. Not a good dice chucking game. Not a good roleplaying lite game...
So it's a bad game you have to play over and over again with some changes.
That sounds like some cognitive dissonance to me.

It's interesting how every review with less than 4 plays is positive, but I have yet to see a finished campaign review better than "meh."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Aronis
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
After 3 sessions Dice Tower gave it a thumbs up I believe (mainly add don the promise of the legacy mechanics). At the end, they didn't recommend it (all 3 of them- despite all having different tastes). If you enjoy it, that is good.

Most the positive reviews I have seen have only been early in the campaign and the major reviewers only seem to become more negative from there. I guess time will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I appreciate your thoughts and it was excellent reading.

My group (of 5)does not know much about the game (as far as expectations) so we will see how they like it over time.

We will be playing game #2 in December. I have been trying to schedule the game play from 3-4 weeks apart as the designers recommended.

The rules are many and sometimes arbitrary. I spend the game watching the other players making sure they play correctly - sometimes when my turn comes I have not prepared or thought about what I want to do - but that is ok as I still get the experience of the game plus spending time with my friends.

Time will tell....time will tell....wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
United States
Hopewell
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bodybagsteven wrote:
Seafall though has invaded my head, grabbed me by the brain and wont let go...

In the space between those get-togethers, all I do is think Seafall. I think about what milestones I should go for next time. What the best sequencing of actions I could take to accomplish those goals. What kind of advisors I should target early on to advance my goals, and how I should pay for them. What contingency plans I should enact when my opponents mess up my plans or are going for them themselves. It is like spending two weeks formulating a chess opening from scratch for yourself.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

After 4 games, I've upgraded my ships to be fast but fragile.

Between games I find myself looking at images of the board trying to figure out how I can quickly put an exploration upgrade on my ship and fly out into uncharted waters... before the two slow "heavy raiders" in my group have the opportunity to intercept me.

Until now I've been going first, but now I'm playing last and that's going to make evasion much harder next game. I guess we'll see what happens on Thursday game night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
bodybagsteven wrote:

In summery, I think Seafall is a great experimental and epic game unlike anything else out there. It's scope and the fact that a great deal of the fun I've had has existed in the hours between game sessions, are what I think make it hard for game reviewers to appreciate what it has to offer.

This game doesn't have the best mechanics or rule explanations, and probably isn't one of the best designed games ever made. If you try not to let that bother you though, you might find you will enjoy it, despite what some others have said.

Not sure about being so unique if there are games like Risk Evolution or the even better Gloomhaven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Scott
msg tools
Temelin wrote:
You're missing the theory that you've played less than 1/3rd of the game and the reviewers do know what they are talking about. I was still pretty enthusiastic about it after 3 games too.

I fully admit that I may change my opinion of the game after another 6 plays. I wont be too disappointed because by that time I will have had more enjoyment from this game than any other big box game in my collection. *shrug*

Temelin wrote:
I think you are flat wrong on this theory about reviewers being skewed by investment in the game. Tom Vasel loves Descent and they just played hours and hours of TI3 a few days ago. They play those long games because they enjoy the mechanics of them and look forward to playing them again and again. When they went back to play Seafall each time they didn't.

The point isn't that they don't like to sit down to long games, but that they don't have the time to think about this game in between plays like most people.

Temelin wrote:
Nobody said you can't like it, but I'm not so sure you do:

I'm enjoying the game for what it is and what it does well. It's legacy component is what makes it fun, not the run of the mill mechanics it uses as it's 'bones'.

Temelin wrote:
It's interesting how every review with less than 4 plays is positive, but I have yet to see a finished campaign review better than "meh."

That's funny. Never seen a review from anybody claiming to have gone all the way through the game. I've read plenty from people who like me have played a couple of games and love the game. I've also seen the reviews from pro-reviewers who quit the game half way through. That was what caused me to write this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bodybagsteven wrote:
That's funny. Never seen a review from anybody claiming to have gone all the way through the game. I've read plenty from people who like me have played a couple of games and love the game. I've also seen the reviews from pro-reviewers who quit the game half way through. That was what caused me to write this up.

I'm a "non-pro" who's played 2 or 3 times farther than you. I think we'll probably quit rather than finish the game. I appreciated what you wrote about why you like the game (so far), but your attempts to "theorize" about why others didn't like the game (especially those who based that reaction on more experience with the game than you have) fell flat with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary g
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you hit the nail right on the head with all theories.
Was sick of every 'rushed' review by 'experts' battling to get their reviews out first.

My group is 8 games in and we all love it.
We are all adventuring. Nobody is shoehorned into an exact course of action to victory. Everybody's getting in on some Unlocks, reading passages, and we have some badass Pirate sea shanties playing from Youtube in the background.
The rules could have been streamlined better but they are pretty excellent on answering all questions on these forums.

Then again we all are fascinated by the Legacy genre, and dig pirates as a bonus. So here's to another 20 hours of gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reshurc wrote:
My group is 8 games in and we all love it.
We are all adventuring. Nobody is shoehorned into an exact course of action to victory. Everybody's getting in on some Unlocks, reading passages, and we have some badass Pirate sea shanties playing from Youtube in the background.

Theory 4: Different People

You like the game more than those reviewers because you're different people who like different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Scott
msg tools
Theory 5: All Reviews are ultimately subjective

I know not everybody is going to like this game. Not everybody likes Pandemic Legacy or Twilight Struggle or whatever is going to be number 1 on BGG in 2 years. You don't like the game David, and that is fine by me. I even look forward to reading your takedown of it.

I'm just offering my opinion as to why I think this game generally has reviewed so poorly. My opinion is entirely subjective and you are free to not listen to me after only playing the game a mere 10 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bodybagsteven wrote:
If you read between the lines, most of these articles didn't actually have any real information about Seafall itself though. Instead they were usually written as an excuse to salivate all over his last game, Pandemic: Legacy.

By the way, Rob Daviau and Matt Leacock share design credit for Pandemic Legacy: Season 1. Those who might have expectations from that game might be expecting some things that Matt brought to the collaboration, and not just the things that Rob brought.

That said, I never find "expectations" a plausible explanation for why people like or dislike games. I think it's a lazy explanation. Misplaced expectations may cause people to choose a game they aren't going to like, but they won't change whether they ultimately like it or not. Because what people like and dislike is much more fundamental than just what they expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
That said, I never find "expectations" a plausible explanation for why people like or dislike games. I think it's a lazy explanation. Misplaced expectations may cause people to choose a game they aren't going to like, but they won't change whether they ultimately like it or not. Because what people like and dislike is much more fundamental than just what they expect.

I don't think this is entirely true. People having an expectation that it is something different from what it is means a whole lot of people who won't like it get it (because they are wrong about what it is), therefore upping the overall rate of people who don't like it.

It also means some people who might like it for what it is, but think it is something different from what it is (that they don't like), don't get it to begin with.

It might not affect people's individual enjoyment, but it is quite easy for it to fundamentally affect the overall ratios of people who like vs who don't like.

There's a difference between "I thought I'd like A but I don't like A" and "I know I like A and I thought this was A, but it's actually B, which I always knew I didn't like and I still don't like it now."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Theory 6: The reported quality of a game is a point on a tri-dimensional plane between a) subjectivity/taste, b) hype and c) truly great gameplay and immersion.

/discuss

p.s.: I am betting for Seafall it is:
- Taste/Subjectivity: Not my cup of tea because of throw-away game
- Taste/Subjectivity: Not my cup of tea because of lack of interaction (I could be wrong)

- Objectivity: Throw-away games are bad for your wallet
- Objectivity: Mechanics don't allow for interaction (I could be wrong in saying it lacks those but it doesn't)

- Hype: It seems there is a lot of hype going around, on the level similar to Terraforming Mars.

Especially the hype part raises the pyramid of reporting it "good game", doesn't it ?

And then there is the "no-need" camp. I did back Gloomhaven and I am much more excited about that game, despite that I am going to need a plexi-glass plane to put copies of stickers ontop and double sleeves to put copies of stickers in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We get it, you don't like Seafall (which you didn't play) and you like Gloomhaven (which you didn't play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hyped for Gloomhaven, and I am not hyped for Seafall. I noted Gloomhaven because this seems wrong to me:
Quote:
In summery, I think Seafall is a great experimental and epic game unlike anything else out there.

Gloomhaven is a great experimental and epic game, like Road to Legends. So neither Seafall nor Gloomhaven are unique, but that's not necessary criteria for a good game anyway.

Gloomhaven can still fail. We gonna see!

But it is rather obvious that Seafall lacks, just take a look at the reviews. It is not like the author's legacy doesn't give this game a boost anyway - it did - but neither Dice Tower nur SUSD liked the game and they explained very well why not. And those explanations couldn't be reduced to "subjectivity/taste" only, or would you argue they could?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ionas wrote:

But it is rather obvious that Seafall lacks, just take a look at the reviews. It is not like the author's legacy doesn't give this game a boost anyway - it did - but neither Dice Tower nur SUSD liked the game and they explained very well why not. And those explanations couldn't be reduced to "subjectivity/taste" only, or would you argue they could?

I don't know if it lacks. And the game might well just not be to their taste.

I loved Risk Legacy, didn't like Pandemic Legacy (and didn't finish it) and have a suspicion that Seafall might more please the Risk-crowd. At least I hope so.

In any case, I'll reserve judgement until I'll have played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ionas wrote:
neither Dice Tower nur SUSD liked the game and they explained very well why not. And those explanations couldn't be reduced to "subjectivity/taste" only, or would you argue they could?

I've only seen non-spoilery reviews, but I would say that yes, they reduce to subjectivity and taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:

That's not objectively true. It's at most a subjective feeling. Objectively, if 5 people play SeaFall for 30 hours, that's way cheaper per player hour than most board games actually get played. What fraction of the board games you own have gotten that much play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ionas wrote:

That's not objectively true. It's at most a subjective feeling. Objectively, if 5 people play SeaFall for 30 hours, that's way cheaper per player hour than most board games actually get played. What fraction of the board games you own have gotten that much play?

Moreover they are not bad for your wallet. They cost more or less the same as other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Scott
msg tools
ionas wrote:
Gloomhaven is a great experimental and epic game, like Road to Legends. So neither Seafall nor Gloomhaven are unique, but that's not necessary criteria for a good game anyway.

I'd argue that Seafall is unique until Gloomhaven comes out. Who knows? Maybe the reviewers will treat it like they did Seafall, thus proving my point.

ionas wrote:
Gloomhaven can still fail. We gonna see!

I will say that for a price that is twice as much as Seafall...if I got it I would be expecting a much better game.

ionas wrote:

Once again, I posted this meta-review because there is so far a divergence between what those Pro Reviewers said and what other reviews (including my own opinion) of the game have so far have been.

ALL reviews are subjective. Its not like anybody is saying "So and So Game is the best game of all time because it has the most components." That would be an objective review, based on utter nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Scott
msg tools
tilouboy wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
ionas wrote:

Moreover they are not bad for your wallet. They cost more or less the same as other games.

In my collection I have Star Wars Rebellion and Caverna. Rebellion cost me about $100 and Caverna has cost me more than that after I got the insert for it. Despite owning them longer, as of this next weekend I will have played more games of Seafall than the two of those games combined. I think that is a good value for my money.

(Also, since I preordered, I got a plenty of nice metal coins that I can continue to use in other games once Seafall has run its course. What a bargain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ionas wrote:

Most Sea Falls will spend their time on the shelf as most other games.
The legacy ganes veing throw-away campaign games is objectivly reducing its value.
Some non legacy games will get to the table often, as will campaign games.
The 200 hours I played my Descent 1st Ed doesn't mean the 30 or so I played say Cosmic Encounter makes latter a worse bang. It more depends if you have the peeps to play.

Now if you buy seafall with 4 fixed people sharing the price then playibg it through it might be okay.
Still its pure bang for the buck compared to road to legend (replayable, 150h+ per campaign) leaves any legacy in the dust.

Gloomhaven offers a persistent universe where single players can drop in and out... means it will be a lot easier to actually enjoy/consum the whole 'legacy' content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
ionas wrote:

Only if you don't play those games much, if you do you - in comparison - will have to rebuy Seafall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Scott
msg tools
ionas wrote:

The 200 hours I played my Descent 1st Ed doesn't mean the 30 or so I played say Cosmic Encounter makes latter a worse bang. It more depends if you have the peeps to play.

What we are saying is objectively, you got more fun for your money playing Descent for as long as you have. That's what objectivity means, being able to assign numbers and quantify things.

ionas wrote:
Now if you buy seafall with 4 fixed people sharing the price then playibg it through it might be okay.
Still its pure bang for the buck compared to road to legend (replayable, 150h+ per campaign) leaves any legacy in the dust.

Now this is more subjective, as is
ionas wrote:
Most Sea Falls will spend their time on the shelf as most other games

Your numbers depend entirely on the people playing. Me and my wife only played the first two scenarios of Descent before selling it off, and the prospect of using the RtL app has no appeal to me.

ionas wrote:
Gloomhaven offers a persistent universe where single players can drop in and out... means it will be a lot easier to actually enjoy/consum the whole 'legacy' content.

For what it is worth Seafall also has rules from dropping out and missing sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.