Subject: Tremendous amounts of rule questions and clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bri beleren
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I still have yet to have true ill will towards the game, but when I saw the rulebook and how poorly written it was, I was slightly disappointed, but now upon playing and seeing the cards, the entire game seems to sadly be poorly worded and written, I don't even think it was a foreign game. Basically it appears the game designers wrote everything so they knew what the cards did, but they didn't write it in a way that clearly tells the people learning the game, how the cards actually work and such, thus I have all kinds of questions and it sucks, cause so many of these could have been avoided with better wording and some keywords or definitions clarified in the rulebook about certain things like what counts as a source and what counts as healing and such. so anyways, for game designers of this game or anyone who can give official answers, here is my list of confusions...

Investigators

1.Bartender - don't seem to understand her ability at all, a clear explanation on how it works would be nice?

2.Time traveler - His +1 effectiveness ability I assume does nothing to stagger cards?

3.Doctor - Is there any way other than pictures, to determine what counts as "bladed" or "cutting" implements for his ability? If not, are all the cards obvious to be "bladed" or "cutting" that count for his ability?

Elder Gods

1.Yidrah - Is her ability supposed to be once each round as written? Playing solo with the boxer, it seemed as though spawning a unholy abomination each round was way too overwhelming considering the reflect damage in sanity damage, only card I ran into to fight against them was the crucifix, and that was only once per turn, there seemed to be no way for me to actually kill them all and be able to fight her before dying due to the damage they did to me as well as mythos...

2.Uvhash - His last sentence, about him being immune to damage and has to be healed? I guess that means effects that say anything about recovering health, but they all seem to say "health to investigator" seeming to indicate they cant target him... so the intention is for him to only take damage by cards that restore health, and that any healing cards can target him?

3.Cthulhu - Wording is sorta weird, is it meaning to say that every card an investigator plays during combat inflicts 1 sanity to that investigator?

Minoins

1.Unholy abomination - I didn't see a sentence about halves, do you round up or down in this game? example if this minion was attacked with 3 moxie, what would happen?

2.Thousand young - If this minion was summoned by a mythos card, would its effect resolve that turn to play another mythos card?

3.Beh'moth the devourer - Would his ability be able to trigger first, thus making his the only minion ability to trigger? basically is there an order to how minion abilities trigger?

4.Fire vampire - Would her effect deal 2 damage to Uvhash when she tries to heal him?

5.Star spawn - Their ability means the second there are 4 of them active, then you play another elder god? Do you still have to only defeat 1 elder god to win or must you now kill both elder gods (assuming you are playing solo) ? Also would the new elder god get discarded if you dropped the number of star spawn to 3 by killing one? Also if you do kill one, and another one gets spawned bringing the number back up to 4 active star spawns, would the make another elder god become active, or is this a once per game effect?

6.Overall minion question - Assuming there is no limit to the number of minions that can be out, is there a limit to the number of a certain minion? as in what happens if you have to spawn another tarantula and you no longer have anymore to spawn because all 10 included in the game are currently out?

Mythos

1.Insanity - Is this a permanent mythos? Is the only indicator for permanent mythos cards that their ability will say something like "each round" ? Are you able to instantly destroy a card in hand when this is drawn to end it? If so then will you lose the first dose of sanity loss before being able to end the mythos, or does the instant destruction of the card in hand stop the mythos from doing that first sanity damage? Also it says "destroying a card in your hand" so does this mean only one person has to destroy a card to end the mythos, or does every investigator have to destroy one?

2.Nameless mist - What does it mean "cannot act" ? Does this stop an investigator from doing anything other than discard their hand and drawing new cards next turn? If playing solo does this mean you cant do anything but discard and draw at the end of the turn that this mythos was played, as well as the next turn, with its effect then finally going away?

3.Loathing - This mythos seems to be a permanent effect, but there is no text anywhere saying it is permanent, could we get a list of all mythos cards that stay in play after being played and thus are considered to be permanent?

4.Death - If this mythos was to go against the boxer's ability, what would happen? does the boxer go to 5 health, or does the boxer only lose one health?

5.Buried alive - What all cards being "played" count for this sanity loss? Does it mean all investigator's cards, not just the investigator being affected by this mythos? Do extra mythos cards after this one as well as minions summoned count as cards being "played" ?

6.Green jade amulet - I was under the impression you faced all elder gods at once listed for the difficulty/ number of players? is this not the case? The wording of this card is odd, does it attach to an elder god if there are multiple ones out? if so how do you choose?

7.Haste - Would this mythos cause the current mythos phase to draw 2 more mythos cards right after this mythos was drawn? if so, are you able to instantly have an investigator take the required damage to prevent the other 2 from being drawn, or do you have to wait until mythos and minions are done resolving for the investigators to act?

8.End of days - Another mythos seeming to indicate you only face one elder god at a time while the section in the rulebook of setup reads "reveal the elder gods, the number of elder gods you face depends on the number of investigators and difficulty of play you use" So confused if the intent is for them all to reveal and be active at the beginning, why does this mythos read the way it does?
Library cards

9.Dodge - The card says it negates damage effects from a single source, and implies it has to be played during preparation or final preparations due to it saying declare source before combat round, so what is the legal targets of this card? Could I say mythos and prevent damage done by mythos cards drawn? If so would it only negate the first mythos card damage, or would it negate all damage from mythos cards? Also what counts as damage? is it any source of health and/or sanity loss?

10.Reversal of mythos - Does this card only work on cards that have the (permant) indicator on them, or other seemingly permanent mythos cards like insanity?

11.Mend trauma - This card is worded a little weirdly, is it saying that for every healing card played by all investigators that round will produce 2 more moxie for that investigator who played the healing card? Also what counts as a healing effect?

12.Occult trappings - Simular question from earlier, what all counts as a source for the targets of this card?

13.Temporary Insanity - It says regain this sanity at the end of the next combat round, if you play this card during preparation or final preperations, would next combat round be this turn, or would it indicate the combat round after this turn's?

14.Swan point cemetary - What is a mythos minion?

15.Mental fortitude - If this is played by the boxer, would his ability of double effectiveness allow him to make 2 investigators immune to sanity loss when played, or would it just target the same investigator twice?

16.R'lyeh - Does this include mythos cards played by the elder gods as well? does this effect give every investigator 2 moxie and make them lose 2 sanity during the round? Does it count all cards all investigators play? Meaning that in a 5 player game, if you went last, and the other 4 investigators that went before you played 3 cards each, youd have gained 24 moxie and have lost 24 sanity? or does it only count cards you play on your turn?

17.Mystic binding - I assume it means the next time your investigator takes health damage, the minion is killed?

18.The gold key - It says it nullifies the mythos deck, does this mean you don't draw mythos at all that round, or that you just ignore the drawn cards and discard them that round?

19.Necronomicon - Would this allow you to kill a fellow investigator by your own choice? Doesn't sound in the text like anyone other than the card user chooses

General questions

1.Is there a limit to any cards on the field other than the Miskatonic, such as locations, enemies and permanent mythos?

2.The healing option investigators have, to spend 2 moxie for 1 health or sanity, can this be performed multiple times in a turn?

3. In the death section of the rulebook, the last sentence reads "If your deck runs out of cards and you have an empty hand, you also die" ...Does this mean what it reads as, literally just your hand running out and your deck, thus meaning all cards are in your discard pile? Or does it mean all of your cards have been destroyed? Thus meaning it should read "If at anytime your deck, discard pile, hand, and active cards contain no cards, you also die." ?

I think this is all the questions >.>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
beleren669 wrote:

Answers inline below...

Investigators

1.Bartender - don't seem to understand her ability at all, a clear explanation on how it works would be nice?

Seems clear. She can activate cards during the preparation, final preparation, or in combat on another Investigator in the game and gain their benefit. So if she wanted to play a card that gives her 1 moxie on the doctor, she could use his ability to heal 2 Health.

2.Time traveler - His +1 effectiveness ability I assume does nothing to stagger cards?

This card will be corrected to read, "Gains a +1 Moxie on all starter cards." This was the intent. We'll add this to our (Card Errata)

3.Doctor - Is there any way other than pictures, to determine what counts as "bladed" or "cutting" implements for his ability? If not, are all the cards obvious to be "bladed" or "cutting" that count for his ability?

The bladed library cards include: Katto, Dagger, and Shank. We've added this to our FAQ.

Elder Gods

1.Yidrah - Is her ability supposed to be once each round as written? Playing solo with the boxer, it seemed as though spawning a unholy abomination each round was way too overwhelming considering the reflect damage in sanity damage, only card I ran into to fight against them was the crucifix, and that was only once per turn, there seemed to be no way for me to actually kill them all and be able to fight her before dying due to the damage they did to me as well as mythos...

Yes, play as written. Boxer vs Yidrah is a very hard battle, you have to hope for a luck library draw, but it is possible.

2.Uvhash - His last sentence, about him being immune to damage and has to be healed? I guess that means effects that say anything about recovering health, but they all seem to say "health to investigator" seeming to indicate they cant target him... so the intention is for him to only take damage by cards that restore health, and that any healing cards can target him?

As stated on page 10 of the rulebook, "All Investigators have the power to heal both Health or Sanity. Investigators may use two Moxie to heal one Health or Sanity" It is this source of healing that was intended to harm Uvhash. The cards that give healing to a targeted Investigator can not be used against Uvhash.

3.Cthulhu - Wording is sorta weird, is it meaning to say that every card an investigator plays during combat inflicts 1 sanity to that investigator?

Yes, that is exactly what it means.

Minoins

1.Unholy abomination - I didn't see a sentence about halves, do you round up or down in this game? example if this minion was attacked with 3 moxie, what would happen?

Always round up. I could have sworn we had this in the rule book but I don't see it. If you attack the Abomination with 3 moxie, he takes 2 Health damage and 2 Sanity damage is reflected back to the Investigator. (New FAQ)

2.Thousand young - If this minion was summoned by a mythos card, would its effect resolve that turn to play another mythos card?

Minions go after the Mythos in combat and a Minion's ability goes off during their turn at combat. So yes, another Mythos card would be drawn that round on the summoned Thousand Young's turn.

3.Beh'moth the devourer - Would his ability be able to trigger first, thus making his the only minion ability to trigger? basically is there an order to how minion abilities trigger?

As stated on page 8 of the Instruction Journal in the highlighted note, "Minions activate in order of their current health from lowest to highest" If two have the same health the players decide which goes first.

4.Fire vampire - Would her effect deal 2 damage to Uvhash when she tries to heal him?

Yes, by design.

5.Star spawn - Their ability means the second there are 4 of them active, then you play another elder god? Do you still have to only defeat 1 elder god to win or must you now kill both elder gods (assuming you are playing solo) ? Also would the new elder god get discarded if you dropped the number of star spawn to 3 by killing one? Also if you do kill one, and another one gets spawned bringing the number back up to 4 active star spawns, would the make another elder god become active, or is this a once per game effect?

Yes, you play against another Elder God. You must now defeat both to win. The new Elder God stays active once activated. And yes, if you drop them to 3 and then a 4th one comes out again you spawn yet another Elder God, there is no limit to the number of times this could happen.

6.Overall minion question - Assuming there is no limit to the number of minions that can be out, is there a limit to the number of a certain minion? as in what happens if you have to spawn another tarantula and you no longer have anymore to spawn because all 10 included in the game are currently out?

You'll need to keep a counter. Perhaps use a dice, or you could use other minions turned upside down to help you track the number, but you are right there is no limit to the number of Minions that can spawn.

Mythos

1.Insanity - Is this a permanent mythos? Is the only indicator for permanent mythos cards that their ability will say something like "each round" ? Are you able to instantly destroy a card in hand when this is drawn to end it? If so then will you lose the first dose of sanity loss before being able to end the mythos, or does the instant destruction of the card in hand stop the mythos from doing that first sanity damage? Also it says "destroying a card in your hand" so does this mean only one person has to destroy a card to end the mythos, or does every investigator have to destroy one?

It isn't permanent but it does stay out as long as the effect is in play. You can instantly destroy a card to avoid the sanity loss. Only one Investigator has to destroy a card from their hand to end it.

2.Nameless mist - What does it mean "cannot act" ? Does this stop an investigator from doing anything other than discard their hand and drawing new cards next turn? If playing solo does this mean you cant do anything but discard and draw at the end of the turn that this mythos was played, as well as the next turn, with its effect then finally going away?

You've got it right, they can't do anything for the rest of this round and the entire next round.

3.Loathing - This mythos seems to be a permanent effect, but there is no text anywhere saying it is permanent, could we get a list of all mythos cards that stay in play after being played and thus are considered to be permanent?

This one should have been labeled as Permanent (NEW ERRATA). If you find others you think this is the case as well let us know.

4.Death - If this mythos was to go against the boxer's ability, what would happen? does the boxer go to 5 health, or does the boxer only lose one health?

Technically he would be reduced to 6 Health instead of 5 due to his ability to reduce Health damage by 1.

5.Buried alive - What all cards being "played" count for this sanity loss? Does it mean all investigator's cards, not just the investigator being affected by this mythos? Do extra mythos cards after this one as well as minions summoned count as cards being "played" ?

Yes, all Library, Minions, and Mythos cards played by anyone after this card is pulled count toward the damage.

6.Green jade amulet - I was under the impression you faced all elder gods at once listed for the difficulty/ number of players? is this not the case? The wording of this card is odd, does it attach to an elder god if there are multiple ones out? if so how do you choose?

The condition doesn't make much sense anymore in this rule set. We had a previous rule set where Elder's where played one at a time, but we evolved from that but apparently this card didn't. In next printing we will make it a permanent and take off the condition. (NEW ERRATA)

7.Haste - Would this mythos cause the current mythos phase to draw 2 more mythos cards right after this mythos was drawn? if so, are you able to instantly have an investigator take the required damage to prevent the other 2 from being drawn, or do you have to wait until mythos and minions are done resolving for the investigators to act?

It would cause 1 more this round and 2 drawn in the following rounds, and yes an Investigator can immediately take the hit and prevent the second Mythos card this round.

8.End of days - Another mythos seeming to indicate you only face one elder god at a time while the section in the rulebook of setup reads "reveal the elder gods, the number of elder gods you face depends on the number of investigators and difficulty of play you use" So confused if the intent is for them all to reveal and be active at the beginning, why does this mythos read the way it does?

Another Elder God activates. So, if you were fighting 2 you now have to face 3. This card also didn't get revised. (NEW ERRATA)

Library cards

9.Dodge - The card says it negates damage effects from a single source, and implies it has to be played during preparation or final preparations due to it saying declare source before combat round, so what is the legal targets of this card? Could I say mythos and prevent damage done by mythos cards drawn? If so would it only negate the first mythos card damage, or would it negate all damage from mythos cards? Also what counts as damage? is it any source of health and/or sanity loss?

The sources you can declare are Elder God, Mythos, or Minions. It negates any Health or Sanity damage from that source.

10.Reversal of mythos - Does this card only work on cards that have the (permant) indicator on them, or other seemingly permanent mythos cards like insanity?

It effects any card deemed Permanent, this includes the ones changed in our FAQ.

11.Mend trauma - This card is worded a little weirdly, is it saying that for every healing card played by all investigators that round will produce 2 more moxie for that investigator who played the healing card? Also what counts as a healing effect?

Anything that heals is a healing effect. When you do a heal, you get 2 Moxie. Not sure how to word that differently.

12.Occult trappings - Simular question from earlier, what all counts as a source for the targets of this card?

Elder Gods, Mythos, or Minions

13.Temporary Insanity - It says regain this sanity at the end of the next combat round, if you play this card during preparation or final preperations, would next combat round be this turn, or would it indicate the combat round after this turn's?

The intent was that it is the end of next round's combat. So if played in Preparation you will go through 2 combats with the Sanity damage.

14.Swan point cemetary - What is a mythos minion?

Just Minions.

15.Mental fortitude - If this is played by the boxer, would his ability of double effectiveness allow him to make 2 investigators immune to sanity loss when played, or would it just target the same investigator twice?

Yes, the Boxer could target 2 Investigators with this card.

16.R'lyeh - Does this include mythos cards played by the elder gods as well? does this effect give every investigator 2 moxie and make them lose 2 sanity during the round? Does it count all cards all investigators play? Meaning that in a 5 player game, if you went last, and the other 4 investigators that went before you played 3 cards each, youd have gained 24 moxie and have lost 24 sanity? or does it only count cards you play on your turn?

The intention was that an Investigator would gain 2 Moxie and lose 2 Sanity for each card they played. It wasn't intended to be pooled. I can see how this could be confusing. (New FAQ)

17.Mystic binding - I assume it means the next time your investigator takes health damage, the minion is killed?

Yes

18.The gold key - It says it nullifies the mythos deck, does this mean you don't draw mythos at all that round, or that you just ignore the drawn cards and discard them that round?

You just ignore the drawn card. Its always nice to see what you avoided.

19.Necronomicon - Would this allow you to kill a fellow investigator by your own choice? Doesn't sound in the text like anyone other than the card user chooses

Yes, you are reading that right. There is an already stated errata for that card. The cost should be 8 not 5.

General questions

1.Is there a limit to any cards on the field other than the Miskatonic, such as locations, enemies and permanent mythos?

No limit except for the Miskatonic University as you stated.

2.The healing option investigators have, to spend 2 moxie for 1 health or sanity, can this be performed multiple times in a turn?

Yes, it can be.

3. In the death section of the rulebook, the last sentence reads "If your deck runs out of cards and you have an empty hand, you also die" ...Does this mean what it reads as, literally just your hand running out and your deck, thus meaning all cards are in your discard pile? Or does it mean all of your cards have been destroyed? Thus meaning it should read "If at anytime your deck, discard pile, hand, and active cards contain no cards, you also die." ?

It means if all your cards are destroyed (discard and draw pile) say by Azathoth you die.

I think this is all the questions >.>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Duerksen
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope Wyvren considers putting out a pack of fixed cards whenever they do a reprint, considering the number of cards we've seen so far that either have typos, need clarifying, or were revised.

Thoroughly enjoying the game in spite of those missteps, though, and a couple of near-instant losses my group felt were kind of cheap. Love the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bri beleren
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
alright, thanks, that definitely cleared up a lot, should be able to play and be good now, however I still have 2 rule questions left that arose from these answers...

Dodge - you said that sources are mythos, minion, and elder gods, when you declare this source, does it do all cards of that source? say you draw 3 mythos cards that turn or have 3 elder gods out, do you nullify the damage from all of that chosen source? if it is just a single mythos that would get effected, how does that get chosen, do I get to say the second mythos card we draw? or does it just avoid the damage the first mythos card would do?

also about dodge and what counts as a source, I was thinking that the card was designed to nullify bad library cards as well, but if the legal targets are mythos, minions and elder gods, that would exclude library cards, so meaning, lets say I play this card and wanna target "fires of azanoth" which does 10 sanity damage to me for 10 moxie, and also the r'lyeh location, could I also not be able to target that and prevent it from making me lose sanity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
beleren669 wrote:
alright, thanks, that definitely cleared up a lot, should be able to play and be good now, however I still have 2 rule questions left that arose from these answers...

Dodge - you said that sources are mythos, minion, and elder gods, when you declare this source, does it do all cards of that source? say you draw 3 mythos cards that turn or have 3 elder gods out, do you nullify the damage from all of that chosen source? if it is just a single mythos that would get effected, how does that get chosen, do I get to say the second mythos card we draw? or does it just avoid the damage the first mythos card would do?

Yes, it does all the cards from that source. All damage inflicted from that source is dodged.

also about dodge and what counts as a source, I was thinking that the card was designed to nullify bad library cards as well, but if the legal targets are mythos, minions and elder gods, that would exclude library cards, so meaning, lets say I play this card and wanna target "fires of azanoth" which does 10 sanity damage to me for 10 moxie, and also the r'lyeh location, could I also not be able to target that and prevent it from making me lose sanity?

We're sticking to the 3 sources you can declare, Elder God, Mythos, or Minion. Targeting Library cards was not the intention of Dodge. I'm adding an FAQ on the sources you can declare.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoot McToot
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just an added question about 14. Swan point cemetery. It seems pretty clear but also quite powerful so just checking. Basically this means that any minion who's health is reduced to three automatically dies?
We had three 4 health minions spawn in one round and just did one damage to each to kill them all. Was that right?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
Yep, you are playing it right. It's a very powerful card and can really save the day in certain situations. There are only 2 in the entire deck so they are uncommon.

Bonus points for anyone that knows the significance of Swan Point Cemetery to the Cthulhu Mythos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WyvrenGaming wrote:
Yep, you are playing it right. It's a very powerful card and can really save the day in certain situations. There are only 2 in the entire deck so they are uncommon.

Bonus points for anyone that knows the significance of Swan Point Cemetery to the Cthulhu Mythos.

Swan Point Cemetery
Spoiler (click to reveal)
in Providence, RI is where H.P. Lovecraft is buried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Patterson
msg tools
So then, Mystic Binding is like a permanent spell for the investigator, until the investigator gets hit again? Or does it discard after the round is over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
It is not a permanent as it has a condition for it to end. The card may get discarded, but the effect of the captured minion stays active until the condition to end it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Patterson
msg tools
Ok, so if it is discarded, the effect is still in place, and I happen to pull it into my hand again, can I then take over a second minion? Or is it a single minion maximum spell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
If for some wild reason you pull it again from your deck, you could play it again as a new spell and have the effect active twice.

I'd say in this case the first minion captured would be the one to end first when you get damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:
Answers inline below...

Investigators

Seems clear. She can activate cards during the preparation, final preparation, or in combat on another Investigator in the game and gain their benefit. So if she wanted to play a card that gives her 1 moxie on the doctor, she could use his ability to heal 2 Health.
So basically the Bartender can use one of the following fellow investigators abilities (assuming that said investigators are being played by another player) when playing cards: Grandmother (Shotgun ability only), Engineer ("Gain 2 Moxie on all equipment used" only), Gardener ("Attacks done with Equipment cards do double damage" only), Detective, Doctor (either/both abilities), Boxer ("Action cards do double effectiveness" only), Time Traveler ("Gains a +1 Moxie on all starter cards" only), Psychiatrist ("Can heal 2 Sanity for every 1 Moxie during the Planning phase" only), Priest (either ability), Journeyman

Could the Bartender use the Mortician's ability?

No other abilities, though, right?

Could they use different abilities with different cards on the same turn (e.g., benefit from the Boxer, Engineer, and Time Traveler all in the same turn/phase)?
I assume they could not use the extra moxie thus gained with yet another investigator's ability (e.g. Doctor, Priest, or Psychiatrist healing abilities); only the moxie from those cards played to/activated on other investigators can benefit from those investigator's moxie gaining/spending benefits, correct?

This means in games where other investigators are the Hunter, Grifter, Aviator, Carney, Curator, Professor, Mobster, Magician, and/or Librarian, the Bartender effectively has no special ability, correct?
They also effectively have no special ability in solo games, like the Grifter against anyone other than Nyarlathotep, correct?
(To be fair the Grifter's and Curator's abilities seems nearly as useless regardless of number of other investigators.)

Speaking of the Grifter, can the Grifter use their special ability against Nyarlathotep to choose to have the Beh'moth the Devourer summoned - and thus pretty much guarantee a win?

Regarding minions, why do some minions specify dealing their damage "each round"?
e.g., Blue Flame Elemental "The Blue Flame Elemental does 2 Health damage to each Investigator"; Cultist "Deal each investigator Health loss of IC-2 each round"
If there are 4 investigators, is there any difference between these minions?

WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:

Yes, all Library, Minions, and Mythos cards played by anyone after this card is pulled count toward the damage.
Is the target of the damage evaluated every time a card is played, or only when Buried Alive is first played?
e.g., if the Journeyman, Librarian, Magician, and Mobster have 19, 18, 13, and 12 Sanity respectively and at least 2 cards are played after Buried Alive, does the second damage from Buried Alive hit the Librarian who will then have more sanity than the Journeyman, or does the damage continue to hit the Journeyman who had the highest sanity when Buried Alive was played?

A different Mythos card question:
My "Experimenting with Dead" mythos cards have a 3 in the upper right corner, is this card meant to be played and dealt with as a minion?

WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:

It effects any card deemed Permanent, this includes the ones changed in our FAQ.
WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:
1.Insanity - Is this a permanent mythos? ...

It isn't permanent ...
So no, it doesn't affect "Insanity", correct?

WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:

Anything that heals is a healing effect. When you do a heal, you get 2 Moxie. Not sure how to word that differently.
Isn't this technically a "healing effect":
WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:
As stated on page 10 of the rulebook, "All Investigators have the power to heal both Health or Sanity. Investigators may use two Moxie to heal one Health or Sanity" It is this source of healing that was intended to harm Uvhash. The cards that give healing to a targeted Investigator can not be used against Uvhash.
So does "Mend Trauma" effectively mean "Spend 2 moxie or play another card that lets you heal any amount of damage, you are now fully healed on both health and sanity and gain 2 moxie"?

WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:

The intent was that it is the end of next round's combat. So if played in Preparation you will go through 2 combats with the Sanity damage.
I take it if you avoid the sanity loss from "Temporary Insanity" (e.g., via "Mental Fortitude") you would not still regain sanity from this card, correct?

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Green Jade Amulet

This card should be treated as "Permenant." The text on the card should read, "Each Investigator losses their Special Abilities.
"Losses" is the plural of the noun "loss"; "loses" is the 3rd person present form of the verb "lose". It's weird that this wasn't at least fixed for the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
tuckerotl wrote:
WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:
Answers inline below...

Investigators

So basically the Bartender can use one of the following fellow investigators abilities (assuming that said investigators are being played by another player) when playing cards: Grandmother (Shotgun ability only), Engineer ("Gain 2 Moxie on all equipment used" only), Gardener ("Attacks done with Equipment cards do double damage" only), Detective, Doctor (either/both abilities), Boxer ("Action cards do double effectiveness" only), Time Traveler ("Gains a +1 Moxie on all starter cards" only), Psychiatrist ("Can heal 2 Sanity for every 1 Moxie during the Planning phase" only), Priest (either ability), Journeyman

Could the Bartender use the Mortician's ability?

No other abilities, though, right?

Yes, she can use the Mortician's ability.

She can only use abilities where the Investigator would play a card.

tuckerotl wrote:

Could they use different abilities with different cards on the same turn (e.g., benefit from the Boxer, Engineer, and Time Traveler all in the same turn/phase)?

Yes, she could.

tuckerotl wrote:

I assume they could not use the extra moxie thus gained with yet another investigator's ability (e.g. Doctor, Priest, or Psychiatrist healing abilities); only the moxie from those cards played to/activated on other investigators can benefit from those investigator's moxie gaining/spending benefits, correct?

She must play a card to gain the ability.

tuckerotl wrote:

This means in games where other investigators are the Hunter, Grifter, Aviator, Carney, Curator, Professor, Mobster, Magician, and/or Librarian, the Bartender effectively has no special ability, correct?

They also effectively have no special ability in solo games, like the Grifter against anyone other than Nyarlathotep, correct?
(To be fair the Grifter's and Curator's abilities seems nearly as useless regardless of number of other investigators.)

Yep, that happens and it sucks.

tuckerotl wrote:

Speaking of the Grifter, can the Grifter use their special ability against Nyarlathotep to choose to have the Beh'moth the Devourer summoned - and thus pretty much guarantee a win?

He certainly can.

tuckerotl wrote:

Regarding minions, why do some minions specify dealing their damage "each round"?
e.g., Blue Flame Elemental "The Blue Flame Elemental does 2 Health damage to each Investigator"; Cultist "Deal each investigator Health loss of IC-2 each round"
If there are 4 investigators, is there any difference between these minions?

No difference.

tuckerotl wrote:

WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:

Is the target of the damage evaluated every time a card is played, or only when Buried Alive is first played?
e.g., if the Journeyman, Librarian, Magician, and Mobster have 19, 18, 13, and 12 Sanity respectively and at least 2 cards are played after Buried Alive, does the second damage from Buried Alive hit the Librarian who will then have more sanity than the Journeyman, or does the damage continue to hit the Journeyman who had the highest sanity when Buried Alive was played?

The damage would bounce back and forth between the Investigators. For each card that is played the who gets the damage is re-evaluated.

tuckerotl wrote:

A different Mythos card question:
My "Experimenting with Dead" mythos cards have a 3 in the upper right corner, is this card meant to be played and dealt with as a minion?

Wow, no one has brought that up. That is a complete mistake. You can ignore that 3.

tuckerotl wrote:

WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:

WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:
1.Insanity - Is this a permanent mythos? ...

It isn't permanent ...
So no, it doesn't affect "Insanity", correct?

Please see our errata here: http://wyvrengaming.com/CthulhuDeckBuilding/#faq about which cards are permanent.
However Insanity is not a permanent card as it has a condition that ends it.

tuckerotl wrote:

WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:

Isn't this technically a "healing effect":
WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:
So does "Mend Trauma" effectively mean "Spend 2 moxie or play another card that lets you heal any amount of damage, you are now fully healed on both health and sanity and gain 2 moxie"?

You can't use the Moxie gained from Mend Trauma to heal again. We'll add this to our FAQ.

tuckerotl wrote:

WyvrenGaming wrote:
beleren669 wrote:

I take it if you avoid the sanity loss from "Temporary Insanity" (e.g., via "Mental Fortitude") you would not still regain sanity from this card, correct?

Correct.

tuckerotl wrote:

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Green Jade Amulet

This card should be treated as "Permanent." The text on the card should read, "Each Investigator losses their Special Abilities.
"Losses" is the plural of the noun "loss"; "loses" is the 3rd person present form of the verb "lose". It's weird that this wasn't at least fixed for the FAQ.

Thanks for pointing that out. It is fixed now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Patterson
msg tools

With Golden Key already out: in the instance that the Mythos drawn is "permanent", will only the card's affects be nullified for that round? or will the card be completely nullified, thus, not allowing it to be "permanent" and simply discarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
Psykotikp wrote:

With Golden Key already out: in the instance that the Mythos drawn is "permanent", will only the card's affects be nullified for that round? or will the card be completely nullified, thus, not allowing it to be "permanent" and simply discarded?

It doesn't matter what the card is, it's discarded if The Gold Key is active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelly Dublin
msg tools
I also had a question about classifications. Several cards indicate there is a LOSS of health or sanity. Other cards state they deal X amount of DAMAGE to investigator. Is the word Loss and Damage treated differently? Protective Sigil makes an investigator immune to health LOSS. Does this also stop health DAMAGE? That is one I was not sure if I was reading too much into the cards or if Loss was treated differently than damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Patterson
msg tools
It is my understanding that they are the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.