13 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Herbology Proficiency rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
If I were to gain 3+ hearts, but was at 8 or 9 life, does that only count as gaining 2 or 1 and I don't get to draw the card?

I'm guessing yes - but there are a few exceptions in the game that make me think maybe this isn't the case and I do get to draw the card. So I wanted to ask.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that there is a previous (official) rule clarification that you cannot choose to lose health when you are at zero (stunned), I would similarly expect that you cannot "gain" health beyond ten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Given that there is a previous (official) rule clarification that you cannot choose to lose health when you are at zero (stunned), I would similarly expect that you cannot "gain" health beyond ten.

the problem using this as a determiner is that the rules specifically call out that you cannot lose life once stunned. There's nothing similar about being denied gaining health (except, again, when stunned), so in the absence of rules clarification, I think you have to assume that you can always "gain" health (unless you're stunned), and it's just that in some cases, you don't get to do anything with it, other than get associated bonuses. Although this does make it feel like Neville + Herbology in book7 is way too powerful...

It would be *really* good to get an official ruling from one of the designers here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
davypi wrote:

the problem using this as a determiner is that the rules specifically call out that you cannot lose life once stunned. There's nothing similar about being denied gaining health (except, again, when stunned), so in the absence of rules clarification, I think you have to assume that you can always "gain" health (unless you're stunned), and it's just that in some cases, you don't get to do anything with it, other than get associated bonuses. Although this does make it feel like Neville + Herbology in book7 is way too powerful...

It would be *really* good to get an official ruling from one of the designers here...

If a Hero is at 8 or 9 Health and would gain 3 or more Health, it will NOT trigger Herbology, since the max is 10, and the Hero only gained 1 or 2 Health.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe time for an official compiled FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of doing this once finals are over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If several heroes gain more than 3 hearts on the Charms' owner turn, do they all draw a card ?
On the proficiency card, it is written "a Hero" so we are not sure...
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:
If several heroes gain more than 3 hearts on the Charms' owner turn, do they all draw a card ?

Each hero who gains three health may draw a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Puente
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Should I also reason that each hero can only draw one card off of Herbology on each of your turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vpreacher wrote:
Should I also reason that each hero can only draw one card off of Herbology on each of your turns.

I do think the card itself states once per turn, but I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Puente
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Homey_Christ wrote:
vpreacher wrote:

"If a hero gains 3 or more health on your turn, that Hero draws a card."

Doesn't specifically say it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
vpreacher wrote:
Homey_Christ wrote:
vpreacher wrote:

"If a hero gains 3 or more health on your turn, that Hero draws a card."

Doesn't specifically say it.

I interpret that as each hero can only gain one card draw from this ability. Even if they gained 6 health on your turn, it would still only be one card draw, since that is "3 or more".

Same with Ron's ability. even if he assigns 6 damage on his turn, there is still only one instance of gaining 2 health
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, it's "if you gain three health", not "when you gain three health". No matter how much health you gain, you are capped at a single card drawn. However, it's not necessary to gain those three health by a single effect; it could be three separate 1-health gains, the third of which would trigger the card draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.