Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Need help shipping a game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi-

I'm trying to ship a 13x12x6 (Manila game, no more than 6 pounds I would think), package USPS from 11510 to 98144. The only option I'm getting is 2-day at $22.

There must be a cheaper way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have created accounts on USPS, UPS, and FedEx. Some or all of them give you cheaper quotes if you are logged in than if you are not. For some, shipping to a business address can save you a bit.

That 13" dimension is probably part of the problem, as I believe it pushes you out of the small box category. If you haven't weighed it, you should do so. 6 pounds is pretty heavy.

I'm sure there's a thread detailing lots of ways to reduce shipping costs, but I don't have it bookmarked. Hopefully someone else does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Hi-

I'm trying to ship a 13x12x6 (Manila game, no more than 6 pounds I would think), package USPS from 11510 to 98144. The only option I'm getting is 2-day at $22.

There must be a cheaper way.

There is.

FedEx Home Delivery $15.28 with FedEx Account 16.32 without
FedEx Ground $11.91 w/ account 12.95 without

FedEx Ground is if they have a non-residential address they can accept the package at (office, business, etc.) or you can get that rate by doing "Hold for Pick Up" at the nearest FedEx location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use paypal.com/shipnow to get a discounted rate over just using usps.com

If it will fit in a medium or flat rate box, that's your best bet that far (I think 13" is too large for a large). Priority with online discount is usually cheaper than retail ground prices, until you get relatively large/heavy.

I don't think you're going to beat those FedEx prices, unless it fits in a medium flat box and you print the label with a discount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waitaminute. Manila is just a TtR size box no?

If so, it will fit in a side loading Medium Flat Rate box which you can get for free from the Post Office. That ships for $12 if you print the label online or $13.45 at the counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

If so, it will fit in a side loading Medium Flat Rate box which you can get for free from the Post Office. That ships for $12 if you print the label online or $13.45 at the counter.

Manila is 12x12. I need that extra inch so I can pad it so no damage happens to it.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

Manila is 12x12. I need that extra inch so I can pad it so no damage happens to it.

Jorune

I've shipped a ton of TtR size boxes in Medium Flat Rates and Regional B boxes without ever having any damage. It's the corners that are most sensitive and as long as you add packing material to both ends the game in the middle is very secure. Plus Priority Mail comes with $50 insurance gratis and Manila only costs $40 new on Amazon.

That said if you want the added security of padding on all sides with your own box then FedEx is definitely the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Jorune wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

Jorune

I've shipped a ton of TtR size boxes in Medium Flat Rates and Regional B boxes without ever having any damage. It's the corners that are most sensitive and as long as you add packing material to both ends the game in the middle is very secure. Plus Priority Mail comes with $50 insurance gratis and Manila only costs $40 new on Amazon.

That said if you want the added security of padding on all sides with your own box then FedEx is definitely the way to go.

Good comment. YMMV, but I no longer trust the Priority Flat Rate boxes. They're thin cardboard, and the handling from USPS sucks. Long, annoying stories...

Anyway, I use the FedEx option about 80% of the time with superlative handling and results. They'll even call you if something happens in terms of a delivery issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.