Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » General

Subject: Is this worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Housden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb

Mombasa, ca £30:
2–4 Players
75–150 Min
Weight 3.8

GWT, ca £60:
2–4 Players
75–150 Min
Weight 3.8

Twice the price? Really? Is this just Stronghold's weak European distribution?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Probably. GWT is 40€ here in France in the Eggertspiele/Pegasus Spiele edition (which is german and english).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's the Stronghold thing. Their games are always overpriced in EU.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Burnham
United Kingdom
Abingdon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Probably. GWT is 40€ here in France in the Eggertspiele/Pegasus Spiele edition (which is german and english).


Yes, you should do this Neil - you can buy this edition here for £36:
http://www.thirstymeeples.co.uk/games/great-western-trail-en...


(You can also buy the "English" edition for £20 more if you want a few logos, bits of text and a rulebook removed from the box. And if you're mad. Bargain, eh?)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik H
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I got it from Stronghold for 40 euros at Spiel. So that seems like a great deal now... components wise it is not worth more than 45 euros tbh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Housden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah, dual publishers.

Thanks everyone. £35-40 seems more like it.

Cheers,
Neil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are you rich? Does the game really speak to you? Value is in the eye of the beholder. Would 60 pounds buy you more happiness else where?

Does suck it's twice the price of Mombasa. I'm worried this game will be a flash in the pan like Mombasa fun for a few plays then gets stale. Going to try before I buy on this one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua - I felt the same as you about Mombasa. Each successive play was less and less enjoyable. It's one of the reasons I'm not more amped about this one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Joshua - I felt the same as you about Mombasa. Each successive play was less and less enjoyable. It's one of the reasons I'm not more amped about this one.
I can't speak for Mombasa (only played it twice), and it's too early for me to say whether GWT will get stale on me after another 10 or 20 more games, but for now it plays out quite differently each time.

Recently we started with random neutral building placement and that does change playing quite a bit. Also with more games under my belt, I had two particularly unlucky games which taught me that the game does depend quite a bit on luck (which you don't notice if you have good or at least average luck). Especially in the first few deliveries it's quite a disaster to have only one 2-cow type in hand, and draw a few 1-cows (or more of the same 2-cow type) when desperately trying to get a better mix.

@Jack: I noticed that Terra Mystica is not in your 700+ games list - looking at which games you rated highly this might be something for you (be warned though: I'm a fanboi ). No luck though, and if you favor theme over playability, it may not be your cup of tea either.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny that you mention Terra Mystica. I detest it. Played it once and it utterly annoyed the crap out of me. I had a move early that could have doomed another player to two and a half hours of having no chance at all by boxing him in...after he had warned everyone at the table of this. That, to me, is REALLY bad design. I generally don't care for low/zero luck games, so there's that too.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
It's funny that you mention Terra Mystica. I detest it. Played it once and it utterly annoyed the crap out of me. I had a move early that could have doomed another player to two and a half hours of having no chance at all by boxing him in...after he had warned everyone at the table of this. That, to me, is REALLY bad design. I generally don't care for low/zero luck games, so there's that too.




I'd play TM again... Not yuk
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
It's funny that you mention Terra Mystica. I detest it. Played it once and it utterly annoyed the crap out of me. I had a move early that could have doomed another player to two and a half hours of having no chance at all by boxing him in...after he had warned everyone at the table of this. That, to me, is REALLY bad design.
The guy must have been a bad player (or an idiot, if he himself warned others about what then could have happened to him). For me, protecting bad players/idiots by design isn't a priority.

senorcoo wrote:
I generally don't care for low/zero luck games, so there's that too.
To each his own.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The irony is that he ISN'T an idiot. He's a great game player. Maybe I'm just that good?

I just don't like games where you can cripple yourself and then make you sit there for three hours with obviously no chance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I just don't like games where you can cripple yourself and then make you sit there for three hours with obviously no chance.
I see you like Nations, Agricola, Puerto Rico, Stone Age, Terraforming Mars, Egizia, Castles of Burgundy, Village etc. a lot. Imagine somebody doing stupid things in the first rounds of either of these games (like taking bad/few cards, not buy the right stuff, pass early, ...) - all of this will cripple your economy and you'll end up with no chance to win. Even in GWT you can hurt yourself quite a bit by picking the wrong initial building. I can't come up with a sufficiently complex game which doesn't allow you to shoot yourself into the foot.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is that your inability to win is masked better in certain games than others. You can sometimes think you're in the game, whereas Mystica says you're dead and sit there for nearly three hours and like it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
The irony is that he ISN'T an idiot. He's a great game player. Maybe I'm just that good?

I just don't like games where you can cripple yourself and then make you sit there for three hours with obviously no chance.


Don't play Container, Through the Ages, Food Chain Magnate, Gallerist, Vinhos, Arkwright, Madeira, Dominant Species, etc...

I would be inclined towards the opinion that any heavy strategy game will have situations where poor actions can lead to a player losing the game. It's part of learning the game system and not a fault of the game that there is no catch up mechanism.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
The difference is that your inability to win is masked better in certain games than others. You can sometimes think you're in the game, whereas Mystica says you're dead and sit there for nearly three hours and like it.

Honestly, I'm not sure why that's worse. If someone is really out of it, but can't tell, I'm not sure what's so great about that.

But if you don't like that, just restart. I agree it's not worth 3 hours of drudgery if someone really is out from the beginning. Or use a handicap. But it just doesn't happen with experienced players. Virtually all "good" strategy games will result in noobs getting crushed. The alternative is that the first half of the game doesn't matter, which is hardly satisfying.

senorcoo wrote:
I generally don't care for low/zero luck games, so there's that too.

In your highly rated games I see Agricola, Tzolk'in, Le Havre, ...

katanan wrote:
I would be inclined towards the opinion that any heavy strategy game will have situations where poor actions can lead to a player losing the game. It's part of learning the game system and not a fault of the game that there is no catch up mechanism.

This.

But whatever floats your boat.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking a bit more about it, a game which you can still win after some early mistakes against decent opponents (i.e. opponents who don't make similar mistakes themselves) sounds quite unattractive to me. It probably has a huge luck factor or an overdose of stop-the-leader mechanisms.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.