$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
$30.00
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Just starting to organize our yearly TI3 game and was considering running this scenario. For those of you that have played it:

Was it enjoyable?
Any pitfalls?
Would you play it again?
Would you choose it over a regular game of TI3?
It is best with 6 or 7 players?

Thanks guys!
Roger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to all questions!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the game will be most enjoyable if everyone at the table does NOT know what all of the secret objectives do, other than someone needs to take Mecatol, Someone needs to take Quann, someone needs to take a Home System, and someone wants the Lazax to win. There are a few other hard ones that become impossible if everyone knows they exist. I'm not mentioning them in the off chance you haven't looked through them and won't know either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Just starting to organize our yearly TI3 game and was considering running this scenario. For those of you that have played it:

Was it enjoyable?
Any pitfalls?
Would you play it again?
Would you choose it over a regular game of TI3?
It is best with 6 or 7 players?

Enjoyable? Yes, I had a lot of fun with it, and I think the group I played with did as well. I don't think I'd want it to be my PRIMARY means of play, but it was worth the time spent.

Pitfalls? I disagree with Steve above, at least for veterans of the game - I think without knowing the objectives, it can be too easy to get blindsided. There are some that are more difficult because they are more "obvious", but in our game, we had several players pretending to go for those more obvious ones to throw the scent off - and only one of them really had it. The only one I would really recommend leaving out is Support of the People, as that one is nigh impossible, and if it fails, you have no chance of winning at all (not even as an ally).

Play it again? Absolutely.

Choose it over a regular TI3 game? Not as the main go-to staple, but once in awhile.

Best with 6 or 7? I've only played it with 6, and it was fun. I'm sure it would be equally fun with 7, and honestly, probably even with 5. Playing with 4 may make it a bit less interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think it's awful, and would never play it again, and wish I hadn't the first time.

That said, it depends on your group - mine can't stand co-ops or shared victory for example, and we're not too big on alliances and politics.

Removing a lot of very basic optional rules (Tactical Retreats, Mines, etc) also massively reduced our enjoyment. From halfway in we were talking about abandoning it and restarting a standard game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has enjoyed it, although I think it's best played with the maximum seven players. Since seven is our least favorite player count for the regular game, the number of participants usually determines whether we play Fall of the Empire or not. The fact that many of the victory objectives are instant adds a lot of tension to the game from the very start. Good stuff.

I agree that Support of the People looks very bad on paper, but it actually works in the context of the game, if you have the right group mindset. No one in our group has won with it yet, but we've seen players achieve the conditions as a bluff. It really depends on your group, though.

I can tell you that it is extremely satisfying to win as the Lazax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.