GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,204 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » GeekBay

Subject: Need advice on shipping a game cheap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi-

I'm trying to ship a 13x12x6 (Manila game, no more than 6 pounds I would think), package USPS from 11510 to 98144. The only option I'm getting is 2-day at $22.

There must be a cheaper way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try fitting ut into a usps priority flat rate. Cheapest way I've foubd so far. Rate includes tracking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby T
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Not sure if it'll help or not, but I have usually found FedEx to be pretty reasonable for heavier items. If you can ship to a business address, FedEx Ground is cheaper than FedEx Home Delivery. Price also includes up to $100 insurance and tracking.

Best of luck though. Shipping prices are getting high no matter who you go with nowadays. Smh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically going coast to coast like that the USPS priority mail flat rate is the best option but yours won't fit into any. Looks like the $22 is your best option, I got the same on their website. You do save a little bit if you print your own label and tape it on. Not sure about UPS or Fedex I don't use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Hi-

I'm trying to ship a 13x12x6 (Manila game, no more than 6 pounds I would think), package USPS from 11510 to 98144. The only option I'm getting is 2-day at $22.

Unfortunately, a game with those dimensions won't fit into a flat rate box, as a previous poster mentioned. If you can squeeze it into a Large Flat Rate Box (12x12x5 1/2), then it would be about $19. Otherwise, if you are committed to using the USPS, then you probably won't find anything less than $22. If you are open to another carrier, then Fedex Ground is probably the next best option, at about $16. If you have access to Fedex Smartpost, then that goes down to about $13.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenLaborMike wrote:
Jorune wrote:
Hi-

Unfortunately, a game with those dimensions won't fit into a flat rate box, as a previous poster mentioned. If you can squeeze it into a Large Flat Rate Box (12x12x5 1/2), then it would be about $19. Otherwise, if you are committed to using the USPS, then you probably won't find anything less than $22. If you are open to another carrier, then Fedex Ground is probably the next best option, at about $16. If you have access to Fedex Smartpost, then that goes down to about $13.

I'd use Fed Ex at $16. I can use my own box or a Fed Ex box? How would I get access to FedEx Smartpost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I'd pay $3 extra to avoid fedex smartpost
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
GreenLaborMike wrote:
Jorune wrote:
Hi-

I'd use Fed Ex at $16. I can use my own box or a Fed Ex box? How would I get access to FedEx Smartpost?

You can use your own box. Fedex Smartpost requires that you have a business account with them. You can also access it through eBay, I believe.

As the other commenter indicates, many people don't like SmartPost for numerous reason, not the least of which is how slow it can go to deliver a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mayer
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sold and shipped several copies of Manila wrapped once in bubble wrap and they have all fit snugly in a medium flat rate box. You may prefer that your box have a little more space for additional padding but I have not received any feedback about the game arriving damaged.

If you go the flat rate route with postage printed via Paypal it is about $12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
yatsuatari wrote:
I have sold and shipped several copies of Manila wrapped once in bubble wrap and they have all fit snugly in a medium flat rate box. You may prefer that your box have a little more space for additional padding but I have not received any feedback about the game arriving damaged.

This. How does a Manila game have a height of 6 inches?! Did it get republished with a massive box or something? I have a copy of the game and it's the standard Ticket to Ride size box that fits just fine inside a medium flat rate box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Ship Gooder (https://shipgooder.com) takes your shipment information and compares options.

Generally anything over 5lbs is going to ship cheapest via fedex or UPS, but they are not as convenient as USPS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
overtheboard wrote:
Ship Gooder (https://shipgooder.com) takes your shipment information and compares options.

Generally anything over 5lbs is going to ship cheapest via fedex or UPS, but they are not as convenient as USPS.

Not if you ship regularly and use a site like Endicia. Max cost for me to ship most games across the country within the lower 48 is $11. A package has to get into the 10 pound range before UPS or FedEx start looking better on some shipments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatsuatari wrote:

Oh, great! I found it. It's called Medium Flate Rate box-2, with 2 being the important one. The box dimensions are different than the standard one and should fit the game with some bubblewrap. Thanks!

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.S. Bridges
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A) I use USPS for most of my shipping
B) Board games are printed material, therefor they qualify as media mail.
I know people have argued this point with me over the years, but I have
now shipped hundreds of packages over the last 15 years and I have NEVER
had a postal worker question me on the contents of my package, or say
that board games dont count as media. NEVER. Two games in Ticket To Ride
size boxes usually costs me about $6-$8. The only downside to using
media mail is that you have to use your own boxes and, unless they have
changed it recently,you cant use prepaid or "pay from home" options. You
have to stop by the post office and wait in line for this service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.