Karsten Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the game, but it seemed to me that if you get ahead, there is little chance for the other player to catch up.

Any suggestions out there? In our plays it seemed like the lead grew and grew at a faster and faster pace. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You really need to build your resource base during the first age. If you neglect that you are behind the 8 ball.

But assuming you have the resource base, remember there are three paths to victory. If your opponent has an unassailable lead in Citizenry, look to technology and/or military for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
You really need to build your resource base during the first age. If you neglect that you are behind the 8 ball.

But assuming you have the resource base, remember there are three paths to victory. If your opponent has an unassailable lead in Citizenry, look to technology and/or military for the win.

I came here to type exactly that.

Also, the "go-again" symbol on the Wonders is huge. Use it wisely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who cares about the leader in points when you can win by science or military?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone is getting a huge lead early on, then it probably means one of you just need to get better.

There's very little randomness - it exists, but it's almost negligible.

Just play more often!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
Who cares about the leader in points when you can win by science or military? ;)

This. That's the built-in ingame catchup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't often intend to achieve a military or science victory. In the games I've played they rarely occur. What's important though is that you can use military or science as a means to threaten and force your opponent to defend against it. If you can make them choose between a science card you need and losing valuable points or resources I find that works very well! So often it's not that I try to achieve victory by those means but I can sure as hell put a lot of pressure and even force the other player to make moves that are less beneficial to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:

Whilst I agree with this in general, I have also played and won games in which I got very few resources and my opponent got nearly all. In these cases, all is not lost, so long as you get the yellow cards which allows you to buy resources for one coin apiece, and you are ruthless about discarding cards for money. If you can do this and choose to discard the right cards, you can block your opponent enough to take the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main thing is that there are lots of ways to win and a "lead" does not have to be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this game a half a dozen times but I've always lost. Today for example I built up brown & grey resources, had a few yellows and even got in a "do it again" wonder. Nevertheless my wife once again had a run away victory, this time by amassing a huge fortune. We didn't even bother adding the score.

I came here hoping that there was a catch up strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
I've only played this game a half a dozen times but I've always lost. Today for example I built up brown & grey resources, had a few yellows and even got in a "do it again" wonder. Nevertheless my wife once again had a run away victory, this time by amassing a huge fortune. We didn't even bother adding the score.

You need to not only play the game for yourself, you need to play your opponent. Duel most definitely NOT multiplayer solitaire.
Pay attention to what she is doing and stop her doing it. If she is going for blue, burn them for money so she cannot get them. Go for military so she has to get military in order to block you. That means she is not building her empire for that turn. Build your technology so she has to defend against that.

The name is Duel. And that is exactly what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
Budapest wrote:

You need to not only play the game for yourself, you need to play your opponent. Duel most definitely NOT multiplayer solitaire.
Pay attention to what she is doing and stop her doing it. If she is going for blue, burn them for money so she cannot get them. Go for military so she has to get military in order to block you. That means she is not building her empire for that turn. Build your technology so she has to defend against that.

The name is Duel. And that is exactly what it is.

This is one of our favorite games and I have to totally agree with GregDarcy. Think of the game as a fencing match or a sword fight, back and forth, attack attack, block, parry, block, attack, parry....... You must keep a close eye on what your opponent is doing and attempting to do. You should never look over and say "oh oh, they already have 4 different science cards or oops how did they get the Military marker to within 3 spaces of my capital so quick". I also think that Wonders that give you back to back turns are huge if played right.

We just played our second game with the 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon expansion this morning and I really like the options that the Pantheon/Divinities give you in the 2nd and 3rd ages. The Grand Temples are another way to rack up some quick points so if your opponent gets one of those, you should do your best to make sure they don't get the 2nd one for 12 points or the 3rd one for a whopping 21 points.

7 Wonders Duel with or without the Pantheon expansion is one of the best 2 player games that plays in under an hour and I encourage all of you to give it a try.

Duel hard and mean, deny resources if you can, hog them if you can so that your opponent has to pay out the nose for them, remember this is a duel not a love fest!

Game ON!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you GregDarcy & Omahavice. Great advice that I will try next time we Duel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.