Subject: Very Bad Minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cary davidow
United States
palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
Is anyone else extremely disappointed in the white hero minis?

Most of the Heroes/Conan/ Add on packs seemed to use a white plastic/resin. They lack any real detail compared to the rest of the figures and these are the ones I payed extra for.

If you did not buy any of the hero add ons I recommend saving your money unless you want the hero cards. I will be searching for some proxies for the figures.

Its upsetting since the other figures in the grey resins look awesome. Cool mini or not games are half the price and they're minis always look great.

What a shame for all the money shelled out on this game. I dread reading the rulebook. I was also missing the Artbook/scenario book. I've been seaching through my emails to see if it will be released in a later wave.

I hope the game play is decent. I hope monolith will reissue the hero figures in a better resin or sculpt or at least offer a return policy. Two years to get this right and they dropped the ball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
yes 100% agree. Alot defend it saying since its lighter material it looks as though the detail is not as good but actually it. However, I have primed and started to paint and can tell you that simply it not true. It is a different plastics all together and the detail is flat and bland compared to the darker. Strange they did that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those miniatures are just as detailed as the darker ones, and the plastic is the same. The problem comes entirely from the color, which makes the details less visible. Several people posted pictures showing that any painting (even the simplest) makes the details appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disagree, completely. I think they look just fine, are easy to identify across the table and do not need painting.

Quality is subjective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree, that the color was a pretty bad choice.

Something like CMON did in Zombicide BP (grey and brown) would probably have been better.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh look another thread about SAME complaint as the other 20 threads. Please stop creating new threads on the SAME topic others have already made. Good hell....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
Those miniatures are just as detailed as the darker ones, and the plastic is the same. The problem comes entirely from the color, which makes the details less visible. Several people posted pictures showing that any painting (even the simplest) makes the details appear.

If someone didn't have time to paint, just use a simple wash to bring out all the details.

I don't have my Conan pledge yet, or I'd show you the effect of a zenithal prime on the Conan minis.

Instead, here are some of a Reaper Bones mini. The Bones line is also white, so it should be a good comparison. To accomplish a zenithal prime, prime black, then use a slight offset angle from the top to lightly spray (airbrush or can) white primer.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, this was primed with an airbrush, black gesso and white gesso. Not only is gesso significantly cheaper that spray can primers, I think it leaves more detail intact and I much prefer the tooth it provides for painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brothergrimm wrote:
I was also missing the Artbook/scenario book. I've been seaching through my emails to see if it will be released in a later wave.

I hope the game play is decent. I hope monolith will reissue the hero figures in a better resin or sculpt or at least offer a return policy. Two years to get this right and they dropped the ball.

The artbook is in the next wave. I hope they proofread it and have someone who speaks english read it to work out any mistranslations and context. This is the campaign book we're talking about. Some of us pledged just because of this option.

It's possible that future product runs will change the plastic used on those minis for a better visual quality right out of the box. I haven't seen them in hand yet to judge, but I do know that CMoN had weaker detailed minis in the Arcadia Quest kickstarter but retial releases showed much better quality definition on certain heroes hair and such.

Kickstarter is a risk sometimes, however, I believe that these versions are the most valuable or will become the more valuable versions due to their uniqueness and rarity. So don't feel bad if you think your models suck, at least only 16000 or so copies exist, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally thought the same but after a white primer and painting flesh and drybrush, the detail has popped and the figs look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deena Pilgrim
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brothergrimm wrote:

Most of the Heroes/Conan/ Add on packs seemed to use a white plastic/resin. They lack any real detail compared to the rest of the figures and these are the ones I payed extra for.

Did you mean those minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
The problem comes entirely from the color, which makes the details less visible.

Most boardgamers don't paint. The boardgame industry already has to use softer plastic, monopose miniatures with integrated bases, and pre-assembled miniatures. Plastic colors that make the miniature more visible, then, is just another part of making miniatures for boardgamers. As a miniature painter who has over 9600 miniatures to paint, I fully understand another gamer's decision not to paint their miniatures, be it out of fear, cost, lack of time, or cats and children. My thoughts are that, if the only change you need to do to make your boardgame customers happier is to change the color of the miniatures, do it in the next revision of the game when the rulebooks and other components have been revised and corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
khaali wrote:
brothergrimm wrote:

Did you mean those minis?

Yeah not that much detail in that mini. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I started painting the basic Conan, here is a quick picture from my phone:

I'll try to take a better quality picture when I'm done, but the quality has been decent on the majority of the heroes. Details show up pretty well after pre-shading and highlighting them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.