Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Dorton
United States
Norton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
has anyone even came CLOSE to finishing a game of this in 90 minutes? Most of our games run 2 1/2 hours plus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
The black wind howls... One among you will shortly perish...
mbmbmbmbmb
BBBD77 wrote:
has anyone even came CLOSE to finishing a game of this in 90 minutes? Most of our games run 2 1/2 hours plus?

Not even solo, maybe once one knows the cards by heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
90 minutes is reasonable for a 2 player game with two experienced players.
I would imagine that's harder to pull off with more players, but I can't tell for sure, since I didn't keep track of the game length with more players.

And yes, I did finish several 2player games in about 90 minutes myself.

Sebastian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
bongoHerman wrote:
BBBD77 wrote:

Not even solo, maybe once one knows the cards by heart.

Solo CAN be done in an hour, depending on the pace you play at (and whether you do anything else at the same time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
My solo games are typically around 60-90 minutes. Games with 4-5 players have run more around 2.5 hours though, since some people take longer to examine cards and take turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four players, all of whom had played before, 3.5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to have at least 1 AP-prone player in each of my play groups. Also, I try to convince people to play with drafting. Plus, new players need way more time than experienced ones to scrutinize cards (whereas I know half of them by heart at this point... blush ).

Due to all of the above, nope, I haven't finished it in less than 2.5 hrs (solo games excluded, those take me 60-100 mins). I would think that a non-CE game between 2-3 experienced players can be done in 90 mins tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Backes
Germany
flag msg tools
I want to play my way through every soloable tile placement game there is!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BBBD77 wrote:

Playing solo, it takes me usually between 70 and 90 minutes. I can imagine that it will take longer with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

Wow, we a had a four player game (even with drafting) and were done after 6 generations and in less than two hours (and usually we are not a fast group). The four player games lasted shorter than the three player games, so the number of players rather shorten the absolute play time.

If corporate era cards considerably lengthen the game, I do not know.

Edit: Now I have played corporate era and it adds about half an hour. This is considerable increase (but worth it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did a 5 player game, all who knew it in just under 2 hours, 4 player with all who knew it just over 2 hours. Depends on knowing the cards, how they come up and the players. I think base corporations you could easily do this in 90 min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

Yikes, that would definitely take this game into "not fun" territory. Does that group normally play so slowly, or was it something about this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Forsberg
Sweden
Norrköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
The boardgaming chef!
badge
"Anyone can cook but only the fearless can be great"
mbmbmbmbmb
45-60 mins for solo for me.
90 mins for 2 players. Havent played with more than that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonatan dyre
Denmark
flag msg tools
play time will be high as long as players are not experienced with the game and the drafting. Basically players have to read 100+ cards a game, and make tough calls on which to keep. That is quite time consuming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
4 player we finish in under 120 every time without drafting. With drafting 120-150 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo 90 mins. 2 and 3p - 2.5 to 3 hours, but I love every minute of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

And I think maybe this is the point. Why is a game that lasts over 2 hours a problem if it's fun the whole time? Maybe I'm not understanding because I used to play 12+ hour sessions of games like Advanced Civilization. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a game like Walnut Grove that is over in about 1 hour and offers plenty of interesting decisions along the way, but if had to choose between that and Terraforming Mars I'd choose the latter just about every time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is really quite funny. Maybe I shouldn't...

Behind the scenes:

Stephen (Stronghold): Why does it say 120min on the box?

Enoch/Jacob (FryxGames): Because this is the what it takes for experienced players to play 2-5 player games.

Stephen: Is this really the fastest you can play this game?

Enoch: Well... I did play it one time in 90 min, but that was really fast...

Stephen: That's it. Then we put 90 min on the box!!

Enoch: Come on, it usually takes at least 120 min...

Stephen: Ok, 90-120 min then. Settled! Now, how about bla bla bla...

True story...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the solo game usually doesn't take more than 90 minutes so it's not a lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have completed solo games and two player games in 90 minutes.

Relax wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

And I think maybe this is the point. Why is a game that lasts over 2 hours a problem if it's fun the whole time? Maybe I'm not understanding because I used to play 12+ hour sessions of games like Advanced Civilization. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a game like Walnut Grove that is over in about 1 hour and offers plenty of interesting decisions along the way, but if had to choose between that and Terraforming Mars I'd choose the latter just about every time...

Some might not have time for a game that plays that long. I have been eyeing Through the Ages but, am leery of the usual play time being 4 or more hours. A few members of my gaming groups usually can't play for that long.

Others might be concerned that the game might outlast its stay. Yeah, the mechanics might be enjoyable at first but, will it still be enjoyable after hour 2, 3, 4, etc. I ran into this problem with Xenoshyft: Onslaught. I bought it because sounded fun and the hype for it from others. After playing it about 5 times, I get bored around the start of the third wave. I can't explain it but, I just want to stop playing around this time.

Terraforming Mars on the other hand, everyone I have played it with lost complete track of time and wanted to play it again even though they had to leave. I enjoy it the whole time.

What is the next hand going to give me? Will the cards amplify my current senergy or will it allow me to diversify?

Should I play this card now or wait when the payout will be bigger? On and on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (AFK/Away)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Rules to General.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played solos and 5P games.

My first solo games took 90 minutes, I now play solo in less than 60 minutes (but I have 20+ solo games, so I know the cards by heart)

5P games lasted 150 min for the first (one AP, experienced player, but all new to the game) and 180 min for the second (several AP, not all experienced players, 2 ppl not new to the game)

the 90 min on the box is quite optimistic I believe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
My solo plays are usually under an hour.

2 player games take 1.5 hours.

4 players games tend to go 2.5 hours.

If you're taking longer even after everyone knows the rules then you might have some AP players in your group. Nothing wrong with that, but the research phase can be prone to some AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I ran this at a con recently. 4 players, 2 of which had never played before. I told them it would run in 2-3 hours, and it ended up being about 2.5 hours.

When I play with my girlfriend 2p, we usually get it done in 60-90 minutes. But we're pretty focused.

Think that 90 minutes is optimistic, but most boxes under-report game lengths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that, for me, when I play games with good friends, there is a quite a bit of non-game-related banter that tends to add a little time to each play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iggy .
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I played this for the first time last night - loved it! Need a few more plays to be sure, but this likely will be one of my new favorites. That said, we had 5 players - 2 had played before, I had read the rules pdf but not played and 2 guys that were seeing it for the first time. I didn't note the exact start time, but it was roughly 3 hours total for setup, teaching and then playing the game, including a few questions,etc. With 5 experienced players, I could easily see playing in 90-120 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.