4 Posts

Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition» Forums » Variants

Subject: Balance variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
My game group and I get together regularly and once a year we pull out an old favorite, Axis and Allies Annivesary. Each time we play we try to introduce a few new variant rules to try and balance the game out a bit. It seems like each time we play the US player overloads the west front ignoring the Atlantic and tries to overwhelm Germany, meanwhile Russia hangs on for dear life, and Japan runs amoke everywhere. Nothing we have tried in the few past years has helped change this situation, though we still always have fun playing.

Then it hit me, like a tonne of bricks. I think I have found the solution we have been looking for and it is so simple.

Variant:

1) USA player must split production between the Eastern and Western United States ( theatres ) as equally as possible,

2) The World gameboard no longer wraps around from the edges ( pacific to atlantic ). This effectively forces the US to play/ defend/ attack, on both theatres.

Im very excited to try this out, has anyone else tried this or thought of something similar to make the game a bit more dynamic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I agree. The US must be forced to fight a two front war. I my experience, my old group played unconditional surrender. If Russia is strong there is no need to for the US to fight a two-front war. The only way I built up the Eastern US is if Germany is going nuts and running roughshod over the UK. The Xeno Games variant had the US making plenty of money it makes sense to have the balanced theater rule. This variant sounds interesting. I definitely will try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bjergmose
Denmark
Viby Sjælland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the allies usually wins? Or do you modify to spice up the game?

We used to have a bid around 10-12 to help the allies (Russia) and to even out the axis advantage. You guys play with bid? N.O´s?
Closing the Dardanelles is also a help to the allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
In my experience, the Allies always win if Russia can hold its own. The Xeno Games tries to balance the game out by emphasizing the German aggressiveness from the start and a sneak attack for Japan. Even then like I said it all depends if Russia can hold its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.