8 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Action order with Cooper occupation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is somewhat similar to the "Order within Action Spaces" thread (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1666381/order-within-action...), but I wanted to make sure.

The Cooper (155 b) starting occupation:
"In the Actions phase (phase 5) of each round, if you receive at least 2 wood from a Viking
action, you can immediately afterward exchange exactly 1 wood for 1 stockfish. You can
only use this effect once per action. (This effect does not apply to the
Bonus phase.)"

If you take the "3 mountain tile resources and ^1 good" action, can you pick the order and activate the card in the middle? This would let you get 2 wood, then activate the card for a stockfish, then upgrade the stockfish into hide, all in one action.

Or, does the "immediately afterward" language mean you have to finish BOTH effects from the action space before you get the stockfish and thus can't upgrade it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
If you take the "3 mountain tile resources and ^1 good" action, can you pick the order and activate the card in the middle?

The way I see it taking the 3 wood and upgrading a tile are two separate actions on the one space, and seeing as the Cooper occupation is activated immediately after receiving the wood then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do what you suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rumplesink wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
If you take the "3 mountain tile resources and ^1 good" action, can you pick the order and activate the card in the middle?

The way I see it taking the 3 wood and upgrading a tile are two separate actions on the one space, and seeing as the Cooper occupation is activated immediately after receiving the wood then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do what you suggest.

That's what I hoped for, and "afterward" means after the sub-action rather than after the overall action. I figured it would be good to get a ruling from Frank for posterity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Rumplesink wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

That's what I hoped for, and "afterward" means after the sub-action rather than after the overall action. I figured it would be good to get a ruling from Frank for posterity.

I had the same question yesterday when playing the Cooper but we ruled the opposite. Our thinking was that the "Viking action" is everything on the Action Space, so you could only activate Cooper after both parts had been performed. I can see it being the other interpretation too, so it would be good to get confirmation from Frank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:

If you take the "3 mountain tile resources and ^1 good" action, can you pick the order and activate the card in the middle? This would let you get 2 wood, then activate the card for a stockfish, then upgrade the stockfish into hide, all in one action.

Yes, you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

Yes, you can.

This needs to be in the Errata. The rules on p. 20 state that you may play a card "before or after taking the action". The German rules state the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We're talking activate a card, not play a card, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
We're talking activate a card, not play a card, I think.

My mistake.

I wonder if it is possible to play a card during an action. The rules state otherwise, but I don't know why. Are there any cards where it would make sense to play a card during an action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.