United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes:

Which is your favourite of the 10 heroes in this kickstarter and why? wrote:
It’s hard to choose! I really like the Sumo as he is our first Large Size Hero, getting to push around other models and bear hug enemies! ;P I also think players are really going to like the Kitsune. She has some awesome disruption abilities and is a deadly hand to hand fighter.

Does that mean the woman sumo is a large sized mini or standard size with same abilities? wrote:
She is also large size. She won’t be outdone by her male counterpart!

What about the Wandering Samurai ? What are the difference with this new Samurai ? wrote:
They are similar, but different. Both build up Fury as they battle Enemies and unleash Battle Tactics as power attacks. But they each have their own unique set of Battle Tactics. The Wandering Samurai from the Original SOBS KS is more of the lone wanderer and sword master type, while the Samurai Warrior is more of a tactical fighter and is used to fighting as a team. Also, the Samurai Warrior is more armored, but a bit slower. They each have pretty different skill trees too.

Loot

What sort of artefacts can we expect to see hidden in the Belly of the Beast? wrote:
A lot of the Artifacts in the Belly of Beast are going to be things that have been previously devoured or stuck in the fleshy walls. Some will be living items.

Will the Fortress Gear and Artifact cards have different backs to the Mines Gear and Artifact cards? wrote:
Gear and Threats in the Forbidden Fortress World have the same original SOBS card backs, but the Artifacts and Encounters have a unique Forbidden Fortress World card back.

Monsters:

Can you tell us something about how the Jurogomo plays as a monster? wrote:
Well, keep in mind that all of this material is still in development, but basically she is an Epic threat that is quite vicious! She can web up heroes and cause Poison hits. She also crawls over Barriers and other models and has some magic capabilities.

I love the Tengu miniature. Can you tell us something about their abilities/unique attacks? wrote:
Sure. The Tengu are Swordmasters that descend from the skies to claw and slash at the Heroes. One fun ability they have is to Parry incoming Hero Melee Attacks. Whenever a Hero rolls a 1 for a Melee To Hit roll while adjacent to a Tengu, it automatically cancels that Hero's highest successful To Hit roll, as the Tengu Parrys the blow. If there is not another successful Hit to cancel, instead the Tengu gets a free Hit on that Hero! They also fly, moving through other models and changing targets frequently.

For the spectral horde, will this be, 3x 3 spectres on one base or one spectre per base? wrote:
The Spectral Horde model has a few ghosts on the same large size base. And you get three of these bases of ghosts.

…I've been dying to know a lot more about mini bosses. Is it a new threat card or something else? wrote:
They are character threats (similar to the Undead Gunslinger or the Flesh Stalker from the original SOBS KS). They can come out to fight you during the mission, or show up as a stronger version as an Epic Threat.

Of the monsters that have been unlocked so far, how many of them have ranged attacks? wrote:
Can't say for sure just yet as things are still in the development stage, but one theme here is that several Enemies will have Ranged attacks compared to the original SOBS. For instance in the Core Set of Forbidden Fortress, the Acidic Tentacles spit acid at the Heroes and the Harionago can lash out with her Hair at a distance.

What's the 11th record sheet for in the core box? There are 4 heroes and 6 enemy types. wrote:
Good catch! That is for a Belly of the Beast Hazard called Acid Blobs. They drop down on the Heroes and ooze around, trying to melt and devour you with their acidic slime. They are represented by counter in the box.

Will there be cards for the enemies that can show up anywhere in Forbidden Fortress such as Belial and Trederran Raiders? wrote:
Those cards won’t be in the Core Set itself, as that would be super confusing to new players, but we will likely release some at some point as part of a card supplement.

will any of the stretch goal content have SOBW ( Western ) Variants, EG the Phoenix and scourge dead look good to have cinder otherworld card's. wrote:
That is something that has been considered, but there is not a formal plan in place for it yet.

what sort of big XXL creature can we expect, within the Belly of the beast? wrote:
As with everything in the Belly of the Beast...big, slimy, and a thing of nightmares!

Will there be more unspeakable horror enemies and not so much Japanese-themed enemy? wrote:
Yes. Everything themed for the Belly of the Beast is very unspeakable and there are lots of Undead that are as well. Since Feudal Japan is a major theme for the Core Set, many of the Enemies are Themed for that as well and are Keyword 'Myth' to make them part of a larger group (the Kitsune Hero Class is also Keyword 'OtherWorld - Myth').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules

Will the new, streamlined rulebook be available as a PDF prior to the release in Q1 of 2018? wrote:
I believe that the Forbidden Fortress Rule book will most likely be made available as a Pdf at some point, not sure when though. It will need to be ready. I would not expect there to be any incredibly significant changes to the rules, more just some clarifications, and things covered in a clearer manner to answer questions. Perhaps a few minor tweaks, such as being clearer on what all Grit can be used to Re-roll.

Any more 'Adventures' coming? Like the idea of it, but with only the badlands and 'Sacred Mountain' so far it seems a bit lackluster wrote:
You will find that the Mission Packs from the original SOBS KS will each have an Adventure card for playing themed missions with those Enemies.

Will the Orphan be able to grow up into classes from FoFo (or will they have Keyword Otherworld)? Will the some classes from FoFo be able to use the Bows that already in the game? wrote:
Not final on either question yet, but as of this moment, yes to the Orphan groing up into a Feudal Japanese class (though not the Kitsune as it is Keyword 'OtherWorld - Myth', and there will be an account for characters to use Bows where appropriate.

Campaign
are there plans for optional buys that aren’t included in the shogun pledge? wrote:
Right now the Shogun Level is intended to be fairly 'All-inclusive' as far as game content goes for the campaign.

I'd really like to see FFG look into Canadian friendly shipping as we're next door to you wrote:
We are currently exploring our options there. Unfortunately, even though we are so close, the rates are often still very high to get things across the border.

Any chance to have the option to purchase the Daymio as add-on for Sumo backer ? wrote:
Unlikely as that is the KS Exclusive Reward for going Shogun.

Can we please have Peril Dice Add-ons? And other Add-ons that we can throw money at? wrote:
That is something we are working on.

Are you going to make available to purchase previous expansions with this one? Town Expansion, Trederran and other enemies packs? If so, why don't you offer that with the game, why must they be shipped from the USA? wrote:
Anything like that would be offered in the Pledge Manager and needs to be separate because it is packed by us in the US, rather than at the factory.

Hell Train
Quote:
The Hell Train is definitely still on the books, but it is currently back-burnered until we have the time to make it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lieberoth Wadum
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Adam!!! Keep 'em coming!

Can you tell us something about how the Jurogomo plays as a monster? wrote:
Well, keep in mind that all of this material is still in development, but basically she is an Epic threat that is quite vicious! She can web up heroes and cause Poison hits. She also crawls over Barriers and other models and has some magic capabilities.

This one is pretty interesting. The answer reveals that FFP are adding some version of barriers like the ones found in Trederra.

To me that's extremely good news. Cynder, Frontier Town and rederra have all added some much needed tactical depth to the game. It looks like they are continuing in that vein.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes

We know the geisha has soothing presence like the saloon girl, what makes the two classes distinct from one another? wrote:
In short, the Saloon Girl is more of a dirty fightin’ Rogue type character while the Geisha is more of an almost Bard/Thief type, helping out her team while using deception and trickery to manipulate enemies.

How exactly is the Daimyo going to work? wrote:
He starts each game with Ashigaru Allies to command and control and has several abilities to give his Allies and other Heroes bonuses. Can’t go into too much detail just yet, but that is the main idea.

Is the monk very different from the preacher? Will we get another 'pet class' like the Daimyo (a spirit necromancer maybe?) wrote:
The monk is a bit more of a combat fighter and protector than the Preacher. Les spell casting and more Auras and things.

Mechanics

Will guns in FoFo have a different flavor than in OGSoB? Specifically, any long reload mechanics for musketry? Also, any chance of an archery specialization for Samurai (or another class)? wrote:
Yes and Yes.

what is one new mechanic in FoFo that you are especially excited about? wrote:
I think that Barriers are going to be a lot of fun. Those are thicker White Lines surrounding certain spaces on the Map Tiles that models can see through but not move through unless they are allowed to move through other models. This represents Tengu flying down from Rooftops or perching on high, or perhaps Ninjas being able to scale walls to traverse different areas of the board that other models would take longer to reach or not be able to get to.

Also, the Enemies have a lot of cool new abilities, such as the Dishonored Dead, when killed (or sometimes placed by Encounters) leave a Corpse Token on the board, that can later potentially rise back up to re-join the fight! Of course there are ways for the Heroes to destroy these Corpses to prevent the Undead from, coming back (especially the Sorceress, Kitsune, and Traveling Monk).

Wondering if there will be an expansion for the Sacred Mountain, either going up \ down the side of the mountain, or underneath it into caves, tombs, catacombs?... wrote:
There is a card Supplement coming up in the SGs that adds an Adventure card for Mission set up in the Sacred Mountains.

Future Plans

any future plans to expand out SOB to other areas/eras of the world? African or European per chance? I know this is a LONG time down the road, just curious about what you might have planned long term. wrote:
Can’t say anything on that just yet, but I am a big fan of 1880s Victorian London ;P

The Campaign

Do you guys plan to include any more Kickstarter exclusives in this campaign? wrote:
Unlikely that there will be any additional ‘Exclusives’ for this project, just more content, Add-ons, and SGs.

Your original Western game had a lot more non-Western (otherworldly) enemies, while this one seems to have a higher percentage of Asian-themed enemies. Is that a conscious design choice or just how the SG's have worked out so far? wrote:
That is definitely a thematic choice to focus on the Feudal Japanese, Belly of the Beast, and Undead for the Enemies.

from the first KS, you may have heard some complaints about the KS going to retail, what is the plan, retail wise/time wise for this? Is this KS backers first then retail release? wrote:
Unfortunately I can’t make any promises, because you never what the future will hold, but I will tell you that the plan is to have everything manufactured and sent out at once, so it is highly likely that KS backers will get their pledge rewards before things hit retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
The one that puzzles me is the Takobake riflemen. Was someone hungry when you came up with that one? wrote:
"Tako" is Japanese for Octopus. "Bake" pronounced "Bah-kay" is sort of monster. So, they are Octopus monsters!

Time Periods
Quote:

As for explaining the disparity in time periods, at first we were talking about doing a Japanese SOBS because there is some crossover in genre and because the time periods almost overlap - you could have very late era samurai in Old West time period. But, then we realized that we could do full of feudal Japan in all of its glory! The time periods don't have to align when you are going through portals to other dimensions and alien planets. And when you think about it, how many interesting possibilities open up when the portals can go to not only other places, but other times!?! For that matter, who's to say that any of the current OtherWorlds are aligned with our time period. In the Old West Earth time period, Targa could be a rich, thriving world with lots of aliens living there, but when the Hero Posse goes through the portal, it could connect to a future Targa where the inhabitants have died out and all that remains is their robotic custodians to keep the city running.

will the Cult of the Crimson Hand be active in FOFO? wrote:
The Crimson Hand are EVERYWHERE!

Any thoughts on extra minis for add ons? If the ninja clans wear different colors, for example, I'd love to get different sets. Or if there are Otherworld variants of some of the monsters... wrote:
There is a deck of different clans - too soon to tell if they wear different colors or have some other physical differences. Already know that there are alt Acidic Tentacles for Belly of the Beast - Parasitic Tentacles, I believe (This is Scott, not Jason - so not 100% sure of the design).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell us something about the Phoenix? wrote:
The Onmorake is from Japanese mythology and we have done our Shadows of Brimstone versions of it. It's a massive Undead Phoenix, risen from the ashes! It has a skull head and exposed vertebrae down its back, powerful talons and a magnificent wingspan! It breathes fire, too!

I'm guessing there will be various versions of the enemies? Will there be 2 different versions of the acidic tenticles? Any other ones? You may want to offer those as add-ons. wrote:

Absolutely there will be! It's obviously still in development, but I know that the Belly of the Beast will have a version of Acidic Tentacles, I think they are called "Parasitic Tentacles" and a version of Dishonored Dead, I think they are called "Devoured Dead".

maybe swapping 700k goal with 800k goal would push it forward? Not sure if possible. Some bigger art for the Forest Otherworld would be appreciated as well at this point wrote:

No plans to swap what is shown, but there are some really exciting SGs yet to reveal and a new Social Media SG very soon! We are planning to show a bit more about the Forest of the Dead as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance the Temple expansion could include a second World Card for the Fortress? Lately I've been using my second Mines World card as 'Mines with the Badlands rules', to switch things up without warning. wrote:
Cool idea. Not sure yet, but I will tell you that the Forbidden Fortress Core Set comes with a Mine World card to make it easier to connect up with any of the OtherWorld Expansions already available.

Any new, interesting, exciting game mechanics to FF you can tell us about? wrote:
Well, Heroes all have a little more going on than the previous Core Sets. The Assassin get to choose which Clan she is from and each has a special extra ability and background flavor. The Samurai Warrior builds up Fury as he fights which is then spent to unleash Battle Tactics as sort of Power Attacks, the Sorceress has access to Elemental Magik that comes in 4 different varieties (Earth, Wind, Water, Fire), each with a unique theme and style., and the Traveling Monk is sort of a Holy Cleric and Martial Artist that uses Auras for protecting and healing the team.

Will there be promo cards for the FoFo core set. The temple clearly includes 2 but I did not see the same indicator for the core set. wrote:
Almost certainly. We generally have Promo cards with all of our big boxed products as an extra bonus for buying directly from us.

Any hints at beyond $800k? Any new info on The Forest of The Dead? Any peaks behind the curtains? What's currently on the production table? wrote:
Well…More Enemies (some really cool ones too), another Ally, and a few more tricks up our sleeve. ;P As for the Forest of the Dead, it’s still pretty early, but the first couple Map Tiles are coming along and they are looking pretty cool! The real question is “what’s not on the productions table?” More Belly of the Beast yet to come!

Are you planning to introduce any mechanics that make doorways more meaningful in a mechanical sense (currently, one is basically indistinguishable from another, baring certain rare cards)? Perhaps a dead-end that requires backtracking, or an Encounter/End-Of-Fight ability that (surprise!) brings down the next tile unexpectedly and teleports Heroes to it, thus forcing another Exploration Flip before the Posse is ready for it? wrote:
In a word, yes. Mostly these things happen through Encounters, and there are some really cool ones that shake things up coming down the pipe (both for Forbidden Fortress, and also that will be going out in Wave 2 of the original SOBS). One such thing that is kind of cool is in the Derelict ship, you can find a Teleportation Pad and start messing with it, and there is a chance that you will accidentally teleport the whole party to another world! In the Blasted Wastes there are Encounters that place ‘Gates’ that lead back and forth between the Canyons and the Mines (and they look really cool as old broken down mine entrances and blinding daylight pouring through from the surface into the mines). Just to name a few.

Mini-Bosses - can you explain how they work? wrote:
Right now they work similar to the Undead Gunslinger or Flesh Stalker from the original SOBS KS. They can show up during the adventure to have a themed mini-fight, but also show up as Epic threats on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.