$30.00
Jeremy White
msg tools
mbmb
Hello, I'm looking for some playtesters to give me some feedback on the game play of my game Kingdom Crossroads. I am considering changing the theme of the game because it often gets compared to Carcassonne, so that being said the look of the game may change. The game is a tile placement game so that it similar to Carcassonne, but the scoring is simplified and the tiles are hexagons, which provide a wider variety of play options than a four sided tile. If this game interests you please check it out and provide any feedback that you have.

http://www.whitewizardsworkshop.com/wordpress/?p=61

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Zool3V2B0xo4KmgL8Y47QRngosu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the scoring. I've always found it confusing in Carcassone to put meeples down to claim swatches.

How many players is this meant to support?

I will try to get it played and get you some feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took a look at the rules and I have 1 question/comment.

What do you mean by closing off?

Specifically for a road to be "closed off" on a tile does it have to terminate in a crossroad (ala Carcassonne) or simply a connection.

Also what about fields lakes etc, the example in the rules does seem to suggest that the feature doesn't have to be completed only adjacent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy White
msg tools
mbmb
2-4 players
I agree with you on the scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy White
msg tools
mbmb
By placing a tile on all road exits on a tile the tile is considered closed off and you score 1 point. If you place a water, a cornfield, or a pasture adjacent to an existing tile you score 1 point. If you are able to connect to 2 of the water, cornfield, or pasture you would gain 2 points. ect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White Wizard wrote:
By placing a tile on all road exits on a tile the tile is considered closed off

In that case I would avoid the term "closing off" because that implies completeness. Maybe "connected" instead?

My initial impression is that the simplified scoring would be too rote. By which I mean the players would just either
a) Place next to as many sides as possible, and
b) Avoid placing roads when it would leave only a single road connection on a tile.

I could be wrong of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy White
msg tools
mbmb
You are limited to the tiles you have and draw therefore you sometimes have no option but to place where another player can score, but set yourself up to score multiple times in one placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I've just done part of a two player game. I video taped it so I'll be uploading that and hope it helps!

What theme would you change it to?

I personally really like fields and farms, etc.

And this game reminds me a bit of an old game my dad had called Rivers, Roads, and Rails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy White
msg tools
mbmb
I've been discussing the game with a consultant, and after he approached a few other designers, their suggestion is that I use railroads and trains instead of roads. I believe the country side would stay the same.
Do you have any suggestions on anything you could imagine the theme being?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hmm. I could see trains. Though I'm not sure it will stop the comparisons. Maybe you could kind of lean into it? Say "This is like Carcassone but with simpler scoring and more options"? Because then you get the people who like the idea of Carcassone but are intimidated by the scoring (like me!)

I'm not good at thinking of themes so I don't have any suggestions there.

I'm having trouble getting my video to upload but I'll keep trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy White
msg tools
mbmb
Did you have any issues with the instructions? Was the game any fun to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy White
msg tools
mbmb
By closing off a road way, I mean that there are no more exiting roads on the tile to connect to. With water, cornfields, and pastures you only have to connect to one side in order to score points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also need to (or at least want to) change the name due to Kingdom Builder: Crossroads.

Also, it appears that your domain expired, so I couldn't look at anything other than the photo and comments in this thread. So this theme suggestion may or may not work. Anyway, I think anything with fields, roads, travel, is going to cause people to think your game is just a Carcassonne copy. Maybe you could give it a modern theme via electronics? Circuits instead of roads, chips and processors, things like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.