15 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: What are your thoughts on best tray solution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
So I have played one game, loved it and the copy I played the owner had perspex overlays which were great.
Problem is is they will cost around $90AU including shipping for 5. That's a whole other game at that price.

I like the dry erase solution.

I also thought coloured D6 (brown, black, red, green and purple) to use for tracking resource production would also work well and help with easily seeing other players production from across the table.

Please comment and post your favourite solution.(doesn't have to be one of these)

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias König
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the dice idea. Will try that. Dont even need different colors if you put them on the respective areas of the player board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Dice all the way. Bonus points if you get them in the players colors, a few d6 , d8, d10, or d12's is all you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorry Moller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By chance I bought a used drill press (70$) the week before I got the game, so I made some cribbage-style pegboards to track production. Took about an 30 min of layout and drilling for the first one but then I could use it as a template to do 2 more in about 10 min. Most folks don't have a drill press but might have an uncle with one, or it might make a good shop project if you're in high school...

Each of the 6 production tracks has a 10s and a 1s column, and I bought some cribbage pegs from Lee valley tools here in Canada.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32777&cat=1,250...

I did the columns as 2 groups of 5 holes: 1-5, then a space, then 6-0. i considered 0-4 and 5-9, but cribbage does 1-5 so I think I would occasionally use the 4 hole as a 5... It was just in scrap wood, so I think I'm going to re-render them in hardwood and do the column as 0, then space, then 1-5, then space, then 6-9, then it's clear what you're pegging. i use a different coloured peg for negative.

I liked it so much that in solo play I use two of the boards, one for production rates and one for resources. Most of my game group prefers the idea of using them for production but use the game-issued cubes for the resources.

I'm in awe of the GameTrayz insert posted a few days ago:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24139381#24139381
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorry Moller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the (ugly) prototype showing ME production at 16 and the rest at 0. (you can still see some pencil marks where I laid it out...)

Your 'Uncle Drillpress' probably has some hardwood scraps you could use If you can find cheap pegs somewhere (or brainstorm how to make them) you can do this for no price, just an hour or two to make enough pegboards for the all the players.

When I make the full version I've got a few ideas how to re-render it with changeable overlays such that it might be reusable in other games that have a don't-bump-the-table-or-you'll-screw-up-my-tracks problem (Eclipse? Through the ages?). Also, I'll divide the board in three so that the tracks can be turned on their side and still have the resource cubes above and below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm now 100% sold on the coming-soon trays from Gametrayz. I've seen some of their work for other games in person and it's outstanding. Much beefier than the typical plastic insert in most games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would really like to own BoardGameBoost's overlay+backboard, but I'd have to spend just about as much for them as I spent on the game itself. soblue

petho22 wrote:
I also thought coloured D6 (brown, black, red, green and purple) to use for tracking resource production would also work well and help with easily seeing other players production from across the table.

This is what I'm doing for now, and it works excellently.

I bought a block of 36 small D6 and an additional 3 red ones (to denote negative money production). While I do enjoy the look of the translucent player cubes and use those for my solo games, I'd be too worried that clumsy hand swipes might mess up people's production markers - with the dice, small bumps are no danger, and it was a very low-cost solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
The boardgameboost overlays were the ones I had previously used on a friends set. They were great, but the price kills it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted by these 0-5 dice on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Red-Dice-0-5-Set/dp/B00I0QUY34?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petho22 wrote:
So I have played one game, loved it and the copy I played the owner had perspex overlays which were great.
Problem is is they will cost around $90AU including shipping for 5. That's a whole other game at that price.

I like the dry erase solution.

Please comment and post your favourite solution.(doesn't have to be one of these)

Cheers

Yes, my friends Karsten and Kaarin use dice and I adopted the idea too. Works great for tracking rate of production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try the solution here (in french, but images are self speaking):
https://www.trictrac.net/forum/post/0086fe3aedc19c562f3b9a6f...

if it does not work, I may be tempted by the Gametrayz solution.
Now, I wonder, for 4$ each, it seems to be too good to be true, does anyone knows this company, what is the level of quality of their work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan G
msg tools
I bought the Boardgame Boost set and I love it. The quality is awesome and the customer service is great. Plus it all fits in the box, even with sleeved cards.

If the price is too much you may consider the meeple realty set, http://www.meeplerealty.com/store/p87/Terraforming_Colony_%2...

They have an option for a wood overlay, and the fact that it can come with a box organizer is pretty cool.

Someday down the road I may decide to go with the Trayz option. However as of now its just a turnoff that I cant imagine they will all fit in the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Andersson
msg tools
I have laminated the player boards and got small neodymium magnets. For backing i got a flexible magnetic sign (for putting on your car) and cut it to size and put it on the back.

The neodymium magnets i got were good for this because they have small holes in them so you can se the numbers through them.

Great solution! no glue. looks thematic and high tech. and the imcome markers are really not going anywhere .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Kouba
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nevick wrote:
I have laminated the player boards and got small neodymium magnets. For backing i got a flexible magnetic sign (for putting on your car) and cut it to size and put it on the back.

The neodymium magnets i got were good for this because they have small holes in them so you can se the numbers through them.

Great solution! no glue. looks thematic and high tech. and the imcome markers are really not going anywhere .

Any chance you could share pics of the finished product and possibly links to the magnets you used?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah a pic would be great to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.