Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These questions are from my first rules read through, so perhaps I should just play a game and see if it starts making more sense. My father was a firefighter, my brother and sister in law both work for the US Bureau of Land Management as wilderness firefighters. I know that these things spread fast and get way out of control very quickly.

Here's the question:
Fire spread. Once a fire begins to spread, does each new active fire hex become a new fire start? Or do I still use the original head-fire as my basis...?

Using just the original headfire doesn't seem to make much sense to me, but if I determine spread for each and every active hex, it seems like the fire would grow exponentially, be super hard to control, and not be a very fun game...

Edit: Content
GRRR this game manual. Okay, answer to my own question. Each hex becomes it's own new fire (better hope those winds stay low). Discovered my answer intuitively from the third example of spread at the end. HOW HARD WOULD IT HAVE BEEN TO ADD A SENTENCE TO THE SPREAD RULES SAYING DETERMINE SPREAD FROM EACH ACTIVE FIRE HEX!!!

Rickafrickinrazamatazzinsassafrassinggrumblegrumblegrumble...shake

Sorry to waste all your time in reading it. Hope you're at least laughing a little bit.

MJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
quality not quantity
mbmbmbmbmb
I had exactly the same question and experience.

Of course, I didn't post it up for all to seeblush.

The fires are only really uncontrollable if the wind plays against you. I think that was the point.

It's still an excellent solo wargame.

My tip: I photocopied the fire and out counters and glued them back to back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
I had exactly the same question and experience.

Of course, I didn't post it up for all to seeblush.

The fires are only really uncontrollable if the wind plays against you. I think that was the point.

It's still an excellent solo wargame.

My tip: I photocopied the fire and out counters and glued them back to back.

It's okay, I have no pride (obviously) and if it helps just one other person, I'm good with that.

I GOTTA start learning to scan my counter sheets before I punch them. That's a great idea about the out on the backside

MJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first play of the game was not easy as this and other questions kept coming up. The entire time I played my first game, I kept thinking that Smokejumpers is a game that can use a rules summary upload.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vezner
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that understood your rules interpretation, but it may be incorrect.

See rule 4.2, repeated at 6.1.2. At the beginning of the fire growth phase, replace all active fire counters with smoldering fire counters. Then active fires spread from ALL smoldering fire counters.

So fire spreads neither only from the original active fire hex, nor from what at the beginning of a turn are active fire hexes. The fire spreads from what at the beginning of a turn are all active and smoldering fire hexes. So yeah it can get out of control pretty fast.

Thus you have to contain smoldering fires too. Also there is an incentive to extinguish fires, because a fire CAN'T spread from or move into a hex containing an extinguished fire counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls